The N/A opinion givers....

Options
cekeys
cekeys Posts: 397 Member
I've noticed a trend ever since I joined MFP.I want to clarify that I'm not offended by it; I actually laugh when I see these. It may be an MFP meme, such as saying "loose weight" intentionally when you know it's wrong because it gets a rile out of someone. Has anyone noticed that when someone posts a topic for a specific audience, inevitably someone announces that they're the opposite demographic but still has to give their opinion on the matter? I call them the Not Applicable Opinion Givers.

Example:
"To all the men who are over 6 feet tall with brown hair, what's your opinion on your taste in women?"
N/A opinion giver: "Well, I'm not a male; I'm 5'2 and blonde, but I think men like women who are sassy."

Another:
"To the ladies who go to the gym, what's your favorite makeup?"
N/A opinion giver: "I never go to the gym and I hate makeup, but here's my opinion..."

This doesn't just happen in "Chit-chat, fun, and games," but in the other "serious" sub-forums. Has anyone else noticed this trend? What's your opinion on it?

Replies

• sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    Yeah, that does happen often here. And it is pretty funny. :bigsmile:

I almost did it the other night just to be funny, but then I realized...other people had beat me to it and they weren't trying to be funny. :laugh:
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    I think I might be guilty of this, for me it's boredom and sometimes just to be annoying.
  • FlyByJuly
    FlyByJuly Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    I've noticed as well. Lots of times, I will even go to a specified topic because, altho the subject is N/A to me, it still interests me and I like to read the responses. However, I DON'T comment. Just interesting reading.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options
    I really getting to be annoying. Everyone is so mean on here too. They all have to target certain ppl and they act like thier way is the only way and anyone doin differently is stupid. I will never post another topic in here unless I want ppl to constantly put me down and tell me what I'm doin is wrong.
  • cekeys
    Options
    I think I might be guilty of this, for me it's boredom and sometimes just to be annoying.

I can't think of anyone specifically who does this, since I see it so much. I can understand the people who do it for fun, but it's the ones who are quite serious. I'd almost put them on the level of "One Uppers, " those friends who have to give a better example than you or when you say you did something, they have to tell you how they did the same thing, but better than you.
  • cekeys
    Options
    I really getting to be annoying. Everyone is so mean on here too. They all have to target certain ppl and they act like thier way is the only way and anyone doin differently is stupid. I will never post another topic in here unless I want ppl to constantly put me down and tell me what I'm doin is wrong.

Aw, that's a bummer, I really get annoyed with the people who tear down others on the forums. You have to treat internet forums like television. If there's a mean character, do your best not to let them get to you.
  • maddiedog22
    maddiedog22 Posts: 116
    Options

Aw, that's a bummer, I really get annoyed with the people who tear down others on the forums. You have to treat internet forums like television. If there's a mean character, do your best not to let them get to you.
    It sucks I was actually called "utterly stupid" only because Mfp set my calories to 1200. I read alot of post but I rarely comment., there is always goin to be someone to say that im wrong. Even on the simplest topic
  • mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options

I can't think of anyone specifically who does this, since I see it so much. I can understand the people who do it for fun, but it's the ones who are quite serious. I'd almost put them on the level of "One Uppers, " those friends who have to give a better example than you or when you say you did something, they have to tell you how they did the same thing, but better than you.

You know with "big" threads, especially ones where the op has said something quite annoying, if I keep seeing it pop up on the right hand side I just keep thinking about it and what has been said, and I just have to say my piece, no matter how similar it has been to other posts, mainly to get it out of my system, once that's done it's easier to ignore as you know you've said something.

With the "fun" topics it could be just boredom. I'm stuck at home at the moment, I have been since December. There are only so many topics that come up on this site.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Because I am THAT damn important. :happy:
  • CavewomanCoby
    CavewomanCoby Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    I've never seen this and don't know what you're talking about but here's my opinion. I like bicycles.
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    Because I am THAT damn important. :happy:
    ^^^^ this. And by giving my opinion i am shedding my light on the world. I am THAT selfless.
  • dbrightwell1270
    dbrightwell1270 Posts: 1,732 Member
    Options
    I've never seen this and don't know what you're talking about but here's my opinion. I like bicycles.

I've never ridden a bicycle and they look goofy, but I think that's good exercise.
  • StevLL
    StevLL Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    As a confirmed "know it all" I am an A/A (always applicable) opinion master and will of course leave my two cents (worth approximately nothing based on the current exchange rate)

My question is,....

Really,.....who throw's a shoe?

:bigsmile: :happy: :wink: :devil:
  • JessK78
    JessK78 Posts: 26
    Options

I've heard you ARE a bicycle...
  • Nerple
    Nerple Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options

Think I'm guilty as well and for the same reasons!
  • BrettPGH
    BrettPGH Posts: 4,720 Member
    Options
    Ha! I mainly notice when it happens in threads asking for male opinions only. Generally the third post is from a woman, with plenty more after that.

Why? Because you ain't shutting a woman up no matter how hard you try. Love you ladies.
  • madamepsychosis
    madamepsychosis Posts: 472 Member
    Options

I've never ridden a bicycle and they look goofy, but I think that's good exercise.

I don't like exercise, but I respect your opinion. :P
  • 42kgirl
    42kgirl Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    I have no opinion on this, but here's my opinion...
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    What's your opinion on it?

Basic attention whoring.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I once saw a funny thing that was something about the evolution of an Internet forum thread and it listed all the people who would comment and the nature of the comments. This kind of poster was one of the types listed.

In some ways, though, sometimes I'll open a thread that doesn't apply to me just out of curiosity and find that I do have something to say just for discussion's sake not necessarily because I think my opinion matters.