beginners info??

Options
Hey everyone!!

I need some advise as to what and how to work out!! I got a gym membership, and I want to go 4x a week for maybe a hour annd a half???

what is some tips to keep in mind at the gym? What kind of work outs are good and easy for a beginner, but will help me lose weight?...

60lbs to go 5 months to lose it :/

Replies

• mixedfeelings
    mixedfeelings Posts: 904 Member
    Options
    Does your gym offer a free one to one with a trainer? My old gym did, I had a one to one, they showed me the equipment and also set out a routine. This was done at the same time as they tested my fitness. If your gym offers this I would really recommend it.
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If it was me, I'd pay a trainer to show me how to use the gym equipment properly and to give me a routine that best suits my needs and goals (60 lbs is great, but I'm not sure it's wise to give yourself only 5 months to lose it - just my opinion).
  • lightyeare
    Options
    wow, glad you have that much time to spare. not sure you are going to need to work out 1.5 hours a day 4x a week if you also plan on changing your diet. if that is your plan you might not have to do anything other than walk.

since i don't have a gym membership. i do 15 min of bodyweight exercises (pushup, pullup, crunch, squats) 3x a week plus I try to do interval training for 20-26 min 4x a week. combined with reduced calories it is working for me.

i am sure with a gym membership you have access to a trainer. they might be the best ones to advise by taking your individual situation into consideration.
  • fittertanme
    fittertanme Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    well you have made a start by joining the gym as for what to use to lose weight is somthink you will have to try each bit of machines's then when you find what you like then work at it and try different things mix them up and make it interesting but do the things that you feel you can do or cope with have a look at my profile or add me and see how I did it but still doing it but now more into running/jogging and now at the weight I should be so dont give up you can do it trust I did
  • happystars82
    happystars82 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    bump

i do zumba more then anything else, only because i have the piece of mind i know i've worked out, wear as in the gym u could spend and hour on something that has only shifted 100cals... thats my opinion but i could be wrong.

good luck.xx
  • letmebeda1_wechange
    letmebeda1_wechange Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    you can do it. circuit room has been my favorite, i also joined a gym and saw the trainer to discuss what needs to be done so i can lose and get to my goal. I love the circuit room because you get to work all of your body with weights and cardio. gives you both.

it depends what is your key goal, where is it that you need to lose more. mine is the stomach so the trainer gave me a schedule and everyday i have to work on the stomach. i work alot the arms as i don't want flabby arms, remember that lifting weights(won't make you look like a man) will turn your body to muscle instead of just losing weight and losing muscle. so you want to do both. 5 months pppffffffttttt you got this sister. hope this gives you some idea what to do. hit the circuit room and then take it from there.

most importantly watch your water intake(drink plenty of it) also don't skip any meals and exercise everyday even those days you don't feel like it. this calls for dedication. and you can do this because you were born to succeed. much luck and love ♥♥♥
  • lambertj
    lambertj Posts: 675 Member
    Options
    Start with cardio perhaps, walking on the treadmill, building up incline and stamina then maybe a few sessions with a trainer to add weights in. Start slowly and move up and keep it interesting. Zumba is a fun way to work out as well.