Death of the paper age and relying on machines

Options
Like most people I've become reliant on computers, phones and other machines hardly putting pen to paper, it's really very sad. Im only 24 and I look at the "younger generation" and can't believe what I've heard from some friends who are teachers. Now i admit my spelling isn't fantastic but I know the difference between there and their and two, too and to simple stuff which kids just don't seem to know. I blame phones and auto-correct, maybe kids shouldn't be using phones until they're in high school. Working in a post office I've come across kids and some adults my age who don't know how to address a letter or where to put a stamp...that is really sad. I'm slightly ranting but it is so frustrating to see kids with brains and not using them. Relying on machines which when they break down you're left there scratching your head and saying sorry I can help you, everything's on the computer or I can't sell you that the till won't open becaused the compter crashed!
Damn you compters!!! *shaking fist at the screen* as useful as you are

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Like most people I've become reliant on computers, phones and other machines hardly putting pen to paper, it's really very sad. Im only 24 and I look at the "younger generation" and can't believe what I've heard from some friends who are teachers. Now i admit my spelling isn't fantastic but I know the difference between there and their and two, too and to simple stuff which kids just don't seem to know. I blame phones and auto-correct, maybe kids shouldn't be using phones until they're in high school. Working in a post office I've come across kids and some adults my age who don't know how to address a letter or where to put a stamp...that is really sad. I'm slightly ranting but it is so frustrating to see kids with brains and not using them. Relying on machines which when they break down you're left there scratching your head and saying sorry I can help you, everything's on the computer or I can't sell you that the till won't open becaused the compter crashed!

I'm 24 too, and have a very different opinion to you. I love modern technology. The more we have on computers and phones, the better in my eyes. That's not to say I think spelling and basic skills should fall by the wayside, but I don't believe that technology is to blame. I believe a lot of parents don't bother to/have time to spend nurturing their children any more. People don't sit down, share experiences with their children and help to teach them. The PARENTS often rely on technology to keep, teach and care for their children. Technology could be used for so much good, but a lot of parents use it as a substitute mother/father.
  • JessDorian
    Options
    Don't get me wrong I don't hate technology I just think that relying on it as much as some people do isn't good. And agree parents need to spend time with their kids, but pointing the finger doesn't do anything now days, I mean you're not allowed to and everything is just so PC. They can't even sing Ba Ba Black sheep anymore its something like rainbow sheep. I just think kids shouldn't have access to phone's at such a young age.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    When I was managing a McDonald's, the thing about technology that stood out the most to me was the fact that everyone under the age of 20 at the time had no basic math skills at all. It seems that calculators and computers have supplanted actual learning when it comes to those skills. They couldn't count money, they couldn't make change unless the register told them what to give back. If they accidentally punched a wrong number (put $20.00 instead of $20.15 for example) they were absolutely clueless and had to call me over to tell them how much change to give.

It's not like these kids were stupid, but they were never taught manual math skills, because they were just handed calculators and used those for everything.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    People don't use pen and paper much anymore... so? Are you a paper manufacturer? I don't get what's sad about that. And the post office... so people don't know to mail a letter anymore, because it's not something they need to do. Who cares?

I am older than you but I think you need to move with the times. When something stops being relevant we don't use it anymore, end of story.
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options

it's how the computers want it. just ask Siri
    tumblr_luy95r8i8b1r4wb4no1_400.jpg
  • JanetLM73
    JanetLM73 Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    My son has fine motor skill issues, he uses a laptop in school (Gr 7) when I asked if I should get him occupational therapy to help out, they said not to both because cursive writing is a fading skill. He types faster then most kids his age. I still get him to practice printing. It's kind of sad.
  • JessDorian
    Options
    Ok when someone comes in to collect a registered item they need ID which has name, photo and address when someone moves home and they don't change their address they need to prove they live there and they can't because there's no paper proof sent through the mail like bills,bank statements car regos. Can't take anything off the net because that can be hacked.
  • Darkskinned88
    Darkskinned88 Posts: 1,177 Member
    Options
    i'm 50/50 on this issue, while to a degree i think kids are too reliant on technology i dont see a problem because the world is becoming more advanced. as sad as it sounds the kid who doesnt know basic math is still better off than the adult who doesnt know how to use a computer.
  • EBFNP
    EBFNP Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I agree with OP. I am 24 year old too, and people barely want to talk on the phone anymore, write stuff, or even learn basic stuff. Everything has a technology component. No wonder many people can't balance a check book.