Is this good? Calling all experts on fat loss/muscle gain...

Options
astrampe
astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
I just found an old gym record of my body composition stats that I had done at the gym when I started my weight loss journey five years ago, and I am slightly impressed by it - but I might be just overly glad that I am not there anymore...

I'm 5'8 and almost 44 - started out at 227lbs, body fat percentage of 49.4, fat mass of 111.4 lbs and muscle etc mass of 116...

Went to the gym today and did a body comp again, and I am currently 177, body fat % of 29%, fat mass of 52lbs and muscle etc at 125....

Which means (if I don't have it all messed up) that I lost 50lbs all over - 59lbs of fat mass, and actually gained 9lbs of muscle.... Does that sound right?

I was seriously afraid that I've lost too much muscle, because I did mostly running, with a couple of days a week some resistance training like JM's 30day shred or a kettlebell workout (max 15lbs)...
I only started heavy (er) lifting a couple of weeks ago, which is one of the reasons I wanted to get a new baseline on my bodyfat %....

Replies

• astrampe
    Options
    Anybody?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,527 Member
    Options
    Unless the bodyfat % comparisons were from the same exact source and method and under the same conditions, then I doubt you gained 9lbs of muscle especially with that light of a weight. To gain muscle you have to overload it. As you get "lighter" then muscle is being "underloaded". 15lbs for weight isn't enough to overload practically any muscle in the body for a person of your height and current weight.

What were the methods used to determine your lean weight and fat composition on both tests?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • astrampe
    Options
    Method and place was the same - body comp scale the gym uses - empty stomach, no caffeine for 12 hours before etc etc...

It was over a long period though - the first measurements were quite a few years ago - when I could barely run for a minute and was struggling to do 10 bicep curls with a 5lbs weight....

I can now run 15kms a lot faster and do bicep curls with 20lbs...3 sets of 6-8 reps....(amongst other things...)
    There had to be some muscle gained somewhere?