Almond Milk or Soy

Options
I have heard good and bad about both - wondering what is better for you and why????:drinker:

Replies

• littlelily613
    littlelily613 Posts: 769 Member
    Options
    I drink soy because of the protein. Almond milk loses its protein when it is turned into milk, while soy milk has quite a bit. There is a new type of almond milk now called almond milk plus--if they ever start selling it around here, then I might make the switch since it has almost as much protein as soy milk.
  • linsey76A
    linsey76A Posts: 102
    Options
    personally i use coconut milk...fewer calories but for me more importantly...lower in sodium which is good since my doctor has me on a sodium restricted diet.
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I prefer the taste and texture of soy but am drinking almond milk more since soy upsets my hubby's stomach. They are both delicious and work well in so many different recipes.

Whichever you buy, look for a calcium fortified version of it for more nutrients!
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soy. The estrogen mimicking compounds may cause fertility problems in both men and women.
  • FullBlownWitch
    Options
    I've heard good and bad from both, but I have heard far more pros about the Almond milk than Soy.

I've heard about a lot of fertility issues arising from the Soy, and a few other things.

I haven't tried either yet, the thought of coconut, almond or soy milk turns my stomach a little bit.

I have been drinking Skim milk since I was 6 years old, and it almost seems like an addiction.
  • nleighp
    nleighp Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Like pauljsolie there are some studies that show too much soy product can be bad for both men and women.

I prefer unsweetened almond milk (raw if you can find it, or make it if you're willing), though I don't drink a lot of it straight, I tend to cook with it more than anything.

Coconut milk is good as well.
  • LainieKnits
    LainieKnits Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    The soy story for breast cancer survivors changes almost from week to week. Sometimes it's thought to be good for us, sometimes it's thought to be bad. I've never read any bad connection between BC and almond, so I prefer that. I do occasionally eat soy protein foods, but limit the quantity.
  • whiterice83
    whiterice83 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    What about flax milk?

I've tried almond and soy--- lactose free milk too. The first too didn't get cold enough for my taste or, well, in my cereal. For the last month (at least) I've gotten flax milk at Walmart. It's cold, lactose, dairy, gluten and soy free. 50 calories per serving with the same calcium as dairy milk and Omega-3.

Just wanted to throw another option out there :)
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    I stay away from soy. The estrogen mimicking compounds may cause fertility problems in both men and women.

I have heard other estrogen related complaints about soy. Also that the protein in soy is is considered "incomplete" - Google will give you more info on those.

I drink almond milk with my protein drinks simply for taste reasons and because there isn't really much of anything at all in the almond milk, so I get my nutrients elsewhere.

I use "Blue Diamond - Almond Breeze - Chocolate - Unsweetened" - I buy it on Amazon because delivery is free with my Prime account.
  • tabulator32
    tabulator32 Posts: 701 Member
    Options

Aside from the fertility issue (not a concern for me in particular) what other potential issues are there from continuing to drink soy?

I tried the coconut milk and its good but its awful "sweet" or perhaps just "coconutty."
  • BrienJD
    BrienJD Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    I drink Almond, in part due to the warnings on Testosterone and the like, don't want to mess with that, it can cause a whole host of problems other than the obvious so I am not willing to chance it. I still cook with 1% milk, not sure about cooking with almond.
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options

Aside from the fertility issue (not a concern for me in particular) what other potential issues are there from continuing to drink soy?

I tried the coconut milk and its good but its awful "sweet" or perhaps just "coconutty."

If you drink more than 3 cups a day, you will grow a vagina. It's a proven fact.
  • jessicafk11
    jessicafk11 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I usually drink soy but every once in a while I will get almond milk, just for something different.
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    Why not go for coconut milk? Less sugar, high in Omega-3s and I haven't found anything really negative about it in scientific studies...all positive.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    My favorites I alternate between (depending on which is available or cheapest at the time)...

1) Silk Light Original Soy
    2) Silk Original Almond
    3) Almond Breeze Original Almond

:D
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I swapped out my chemical fat free Coffeemate for soy and almond options. I think the soy blends better with the coffee and is creamier, but the almond has fewer calories.
  • kouzzzz
    kouzzzz Posts: 540 Member
    Options
    Use Coconut or Almond milk not soy milk. 90% of soy in America is genetically modified.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    REAL MILK = SUPERIOR TASTE.

I've done both and they are lower in carbs than real milk but I have to say real milk is just much more refreshing so I highly recommend that unless you have an allergy of course. Eating cereal w/o is just horribly bland (even with vanilla/chocolate versions) and for some reason never as cold as real milk. You can get away with the soy/almond stuff in a smoothie since there are other things like fruit and peanut butter to masque the taste but in general, I'm going to stop buying almond milk in bunches when its on sale just because it's lower in cals.
  • AlayshaJ
    AlayshaJ Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    I drink almond milk, use it in protein shakes, and bake with it. I use soy for cereal. I have no idea why, I just do. I dont really like coconut milk but my husband does so I always have it on hand and use it for making pancakes/waffles.

*I hardly every actually eat cereal so my soy milk usually just goes bad. :/
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I've recently discovered an animal milk intolerance, (just for milk, not for cheese or yogurt...weird, I know)

So my personal prefrence by taste is Almond milk. If soy is on sale, I may pick some up. But really prefer Vanilla flavored Almond milk.