One Month of No Alcohol

Options
jesusHchris
jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
I tend to party it up on the weekends. About a month ago today, I decided to give the booze a break. I have not had a sip (beer included) since then.

Just some benefits I've noticed:

- A bit more consistency in my calorie intake on the weekends
- I've gone from 3 minute drills to 10 minute drills (muay thai) ** in a 60 minute workout **
- Have not had to kick undesirable girls out of my apartment the next morning (haha)
- Sleep patterns much more stable
- More time for healthy hobbies on the weekend
- No calls from fraud prevention at Visa wondering what the F I'm doing with my ATM card
- Six pack kicking in nicely
- No problem with Monday workouts

Anyone else have this one as a bit of a thorn in their side when it comes to nutrition / exercise?

Replies

• _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    how much did you usually drink? damn!
  • coloradocami
    coloradocami Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Good for you!!!
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    how much did you usually drink? damn!

MORE than enough. ;)
  • AshleyLauren589
    AshleyLauren589 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    Glad to hear it worked out! I'm starting a two week (maybe longer) detox today (had to wait until after St. Paddy's, haha!) just to see if it significantly helps my weight loss, since I've been stuck for a while, and I think alcohol is the reason. Thanks for the insight!
  • girlwapp
    girlwapp Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I did that for a month and really should go back to it. I definitely agree that there are so many benefits to not drinking! Sadly, I'm currently under a lot of stress that I'm finding difficult to deal with, so I've been drinking more than I should. Worse yet, I'm such a sucker for microbrews that I'm not even drinking low-cal stuff :(

Best of luck with your sobriety!
  • ekeledo
    ekeledo Posts: 15
    Options
    Well done!!! Lots of benefits there eh?? :))
    I am not big drinker myself at first place but am thinking of kicking the booze out for a while too.. as i just want to get in a great shape ( long way to go though ..ha ha).. it is, however, much harder to stop smoking!!!!
  • mslack01
    mslack01 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    Actually, I do have this problem and I need to stop it too. Although, I don't usually have to kick out undesirable women! LOL...
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    I've given it up for the month of March, just to see if I can. I usually only drank on weekends. It's been two weeks...I haven't noticed much except for a pissier mood. Three more weeks of this...my reward is a camping trip first weekend in April. With lots of booze...
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    Actually, I do have this problem and I need to stop it too. Although, I don't usually have to kick out undesirable women! LOL...

You let them stay!?
  • ReverendJim
    ReverendJim Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the motivating post! Alcohol is my singular weakness. Well, that and short skirts... but short skirts don't kill the liver. :)
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I might give it up for April. Although my birthday is in April, so maybe May. Lol.
  • ccadroz93
    ccadroz93 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have been sober from alcohol and other "accessories" for 27 years. Off cigarettes for almost 5 years and quit caffiene 4 months ago. I must say I also sleep much better, and seem to have been cured of my Shift Work Sleep Disorder I was diagnosed with....LOL.....I also haven't broken out in a pair of handcuffs in a long time or lost my car or felt like chewing my arm off the next morning rather than wake up the individual laying on it.....yes, there are many benefits to not drinking alcohol (at least if you drank the way I did..LOL)
  • kballard66
    Options
    Guilty as charged! I want to stop or at least give it a break but it's really hard for me because my husband is a drinker too and when he has some I want some. I am starting to try harder by only having a few and I have switched to Michelob Ultra....yes, I do log it and I do more workout if needed.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    ... or felt like chewing my arm off the next morning rather than wake up the individual laying on it.....

HAHA! I might have to steal that quote.
  • lucky1ns
    lucky1ns Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Definte problem for me. I used to be able to drink wine and still lose but all of a sudden I cant. I am going to give it up during the week and see what happens.
  • EzraCCM
    EzraCCM Posts: 47
    Options
    Although I am not a heavy drinker (Moderate- and I prefer wine) I did give wine up for lent last year and it helped SIGNIFICANTLY with weight loss. I did notice that I slept more consistently, too (fewer wake-ups at night). Even three-four glasses a week was impeding my weight loss. Of course, at the end of lent I started drinking wine again and gained it back :(

I've cut back a bit, no only have a glass or two on weekends, but I couldn't give it up for lent again this year as my IN-LAWS were in town for a week... In situations such as this, the wine helps subdue me when I have 7 days of entertaining my mother-in-law!!!
  • Ashleysh22
    Ashleysh22 Posts: 209
    Options
    I think thats wonderful! I haven't drank much since my freshman year of college. Keep up the amazing work!
  • bopefas
    bopefas Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    The only way I could lose any weight was to stop drinking.It's just empty calories that lead to bad choices.Keep going sober,you get used to it and really get to know what makes you feel good.
  • RAFValentina
    RAFValentina Posts: 1,231 Member
    Options
    I generally don't drink alcohol, except for special occasions. I don't miss it, I don't find it hard to say no and choose something else and it means I get to eat those calories which are far more satisfying... plus have more control..when you're drunk you tend to eat and snack on crap. And can't remember that...
  • ArchyJill
    ArchyJill Posts: 548 Member
    Options
    I got pregnant and so gave up drinking entirely. Now that I'm breastfeeding I'm still not drinking and I have to say, it's not like I'm dropping the pounds like I'd hoped! Doesn't give me much incentive to not drink once the little one is weaned...I miss my whiskey!

**Edited to add that I like my whiskey a LOT, like maybe 5+ ounces a night way back when (last year)***