Question for those on maintenance...

Options
GenFo
GenFo Posts: 124 Member
How did you decide on your goal weight? Was it a magic size/weight or did you just wait until it felt right?

I really want to hear from those of you that are already there and content with your current size.

Thanks!

Replies

• GenFo
    Options
    MFP shows a range of 111-150 in the healthy range for my height (5'5"). I'm already in the range, but there's a HUGE difference between 111 and 150.
  • GenFo
    Options
    Bump.
  • SassyJuliana
    SassyJuliana Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I think you'll find out when you get there! :)

I had always kept my weight, and then, gained 20 lbs in a year (I know, right?!?!?!). So I knew exactly what I had to lose.
  • Purple_Orchid_87
    Purple_Orchid_87 Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    mine is 184 - this will give me a BMI of 25 - am 6ft tall
    I wanna get as close to that as possible and I know itll take a long time
    I think when I get to the top of Overweight, I'll start concentrating on strength training
  • BlazeMackMom
    BlazeMackMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I am in the same bracket as you are... But I know I would look horrible sick if I weighed 111 pounds! I was 165 when I started and I knew that I was 135 when I found out I was pregnant for my son(12 years ago).

I decided that I would make 130 my goal weight for now and then see how I feel and look when I get there. I am at 146 now and I know that I am not even close to being comfortable with my size and shape yet.

That's my TRUE goal. I want to be healthy and fit and be really comfortable in my own skin. I'm getting there though!

Good luck to you in your journey!
  • ♥Amy♥
    ♥Amy♥ Posts: 714 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11" tall and 109 is the middle of the healthy range for my height, so that's what I picked as my goal weight. I'm there right now and currently eating at maintenance. I'm still not happy with my body, but a lot of that has to do with my extra skin and wanting it to just magically disappear!
  • DonM46
    DonM46 Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    When I set my goal -- which was a purely arbitrary number -- my wife balked. She said I'd look frail. She added 10 # to it.
    I didn't think that was enough loss, so we compromised at halfway in between.
    I reached that compromised goal in mid-November. Since then, I've been searching for the right amount of calories.
    Initially, I didn't add enough and went 2 # below my goal. Then I added too many and went 3 # over. I think I'm just about there.
  • BlazeMackMom
    BlazeMackMom Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Too Funny... I went back and looked at your ticker... Not only are we in the same bracket... we are EXACTLY on the same track... Starting weight and current weight included.

:-)
  • GenFo
    Options
    Too Funny... I went back and looked at your ticker... Not only are we in the same bracket... we are EXACTLY on the same track... Starting weight and current weight included.

:-)

That is funny. So you know exactly where I'm coming from!
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    How did you decide on your goal weight? Was it a magic size/weight or did you just wait until it felt right?

I really want to hear from those of you that are already there and content with your current size.

Thanks!

metlife weight tables from 1943.

http://www.halls.md/ideal-weight/met.htm

the result is that i'm at a BMI of 22 and am pretty happy with it.
  • GenFo
    Options

Thanks!

That brings up another question I have:

How do you determine frame size? I have the wrists of a child, but a larger ribcage and hip bones. Even at my smallest (118-ish in college) the bone frame stuck out.
  • iuew
    iuew Posts: 624 Member
    Options

Thanks!

That brings up another question I have:

How do you determine frame size? I have the wrists of a child, but a larger ribcage and hip bones. Even at my smallest (118-ish in college) the bone frame stuck out.

http://www.healthstatus.com/calculate/fsz

i think elbow measurements can correct for that.

by that calculator, i am medium frame, which i had guessed. i used the wrist measurement, but there's an elbow measurement, also.
  • GenFo
    Options
    Well, according to the wrist and elbow I have a small frame so I guess I can stop using the "big-boned" excuse. :blushing:
  • aussiesarah
    aussiesarah Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I started out on MFP at 173.5lbs and I decided to aim for roughly what I weighed at university which was 147lbs and which also happens to be in the middle of the healthy weight range (I'm 5'7').

Once I got there I was pretty happy with how I looked but I still have a few wobbly bits that could do with shrinking/toning (!) so I've decided to set a final target of 135 which is a BMI of 21 so just below the middle of the healthy weight range.

Once I am there I'm hoping to have a holiday from counting calories and trying to work out which of my clothes fit at the moment!!

Good luck.
  • marbly
    marbly Posts: 103
    Options
    Good question! As with the previous poster, I've always been around my goal weight or within 5lbs throughout my adult life so I know exactly how much to lose. If you were always overweight, then, hmm.. perhaps what feels right for you? If you are finding it too hard to maintain, then you may need to set your GW higher or you'll simply be miserable and cannot maintain at weight.
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    I'm about comfortable with mine and I'm 3lb off my original goal of 133lbs, which puts me in middle of my healthy weight range.

My Wii Fit says I should be 129lbs for my height, I'm not sure whether thats right for me and whether I'll go down to that just to complete the game or not.

I like 132lbs or exactly 60kg so was thinking of stopping around there.
  • momof3and3
    momof3and3 Posts: 656 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: at 5' tall, woman should be around 100lbs +or- 5lbs, for every inch over five feet add another 5lbs...so at 5'5" you should be 125 lbs, +or- 5...your range 120-130 lbs.

Frame size is measure your wrist...6" is med frame, less than 6" small frame, more than 6" large frame....

Just something to go by....everyone is different and it all depends on body fat%, too....
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Rule of thumb: at 5' tall, woman should be around 100lbs +or- 5lbs, for every inch over five feet add another 5lbs...so at 5'5" you should be 125 lbs, +or- 5...your range 120-130 lbs.

Frame size is measure your wrist...6" is med frame, less than 6" small frame, more than 6" large frame....

Just something to go by....everyone is different and it all depends on body fat%, too....

I'm 5ft 3 and half what weight range would that give me by your method?
  • GenFo
    Options
    I don't remember ever being happy with a weight at the time...but when I look at old pictures I seem so thin. It's crazy how our perspective changes and how self-critical we can be.