Easy meals for the non-cook

Options

Replies

• ChristieStearns
    ChristieStearns Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I *can* cook and luckily when I do it turns out well. But I *hate* it lol. So I go with very easy things and I would say crock pot is the way to go especially if your issue is under/over cooking things. Pretty hard to do with a crock pot!!! And most of the time you just chop a few things up and throw them in there and then dinner is ready at night.

If the issue though is that it's more unexpected like when hubby is tired or doesn't feel like cooking, I think the salad idea is great. Maybe on the nights your hubby does cook, he could cook up a few extra chicken breasts for you that you can throw on a salad.

Having a few healthy frozen meals on hand isn't a bad idea either. Sure they are high in sodium and processed. But if your alternative is a drive thru.... it's still better :)
  • angelashay42
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes! Healthy and a lot less carbs.

Just cut up a head of caulflower into uniform pieces and boil or steam it for 20 min.

Mash it up in a bowl and add whatever you want... I add salt, pepper, garlic, and parmesan cheese. But you can add butter, milk, cream cheese, buttermilk, rosemary, etc.
  • MissCheese
    MissCheese Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    My go to quick and easy recipe is as follows:

Finely chop up half an onion.
    Chop up a few chestnut mushrooms (as small as you can).
    Mince 2 cloves of garlic.
    Cut three rashers of good dry cured streaky bacon into small pieces.

Put the bacon in a non stick pan of a moderate heat and cook until oil comes out and bacon starts to brown. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook over a low heat until softened. Add 150g of Passata and a tablespoon of tomato puree and leave to cook for a few minutes.

Meanwhile either cook some fresh pasta or, if you have a Spiralizer, spiralize one and half courgettes. Blanch the courgettes, drain and mix into the pasta sauce.

The pasta sauce has around 220 calories.
    The spiralized courgette around 40 calories.

Very very tasty and low cal if eaten with the spiralized courgette.
  • chell53
    chell53 Posts: 356 Member
    Options
    bump
  • emeraldowl
    emeraldowl Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    My go to quick and easy recipe is as follows:

Finely chop up half an onion.
    Chop up a few chestnut mushrooms (as small as you can).
    Mince 2 cloves of garlic.
    Cut three rashers of good dry cured streaky bacon into small pieces.

Put the bacon in a non stick pan of a moderate heat and cook until oil comes out and bacon starts to brown. Add the mushrooms, onion and garlic and cook over a low heat until softened. Add 150g of Passata and a tablespoon of tomato puree and leave to cook for a few minutes.

Meanwhile either cook some fresh pasta or, if you have a Spiralizer, spiralize one and half courgettes. Blanch the courgettes, drain and mix into the pasta sauce.

The pasta sauce has around 220 calories.
    The spiralized courgette around 40 calories.

Very very tasty and low cal if eaten with the spiralized courgette.

I love courgettes and keep meaning to try this. It's now on my list for next week.
  • SandersWifey
    Options
    Bump!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    i can't cook either! really want to try some of these recipes mentioned here - thanks everyone!
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    crock pot anything is amazing and easy.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Get a crockpot and go to town! There are tons of crockpot recipes all over the place, including lots that you make in batches and freeze.

yes! I will throw exactly 2 ingredients in the crock pot -- boneless, skinless chicken breasts and salsa (regular or verde) -- for 6-8 hours and then use that for EVERYTHING. Throw it on top of salads, in a bowl with black beans, corn, and cheese, in a taco shell with sour cream and fresh cilantro.... easiest recipe ever.
  • compunat
    compunat Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Mashed Cauliflower instead of mashed potatoes! Healthy and a lot less carbs.

Just cut up a head of caulflower into uniform pieces and boil or steam it for 20 min.

Mash it up in a bowl and add whatever you want... I add salt, pepper, garlic, and parmesan cheese. But you can add butter, milk, cream cheese, buttermilk, rosemary, etc.

I'm making it today. It's really good an tasty.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 7,974 Member
    Options
    Learning to cook is all about trial and ERROR, so don't fret the first or even second time a recipe crashes and burns. Easy recipes are great, though.

Chicken Florentine
    Years ago, I was given this recipe by a friend who studied at the Cordon Bleu. I have modified it to reduce calories, but it is still a little high; however, it is an entrée, and it does include a good portion of veggies. Quick, easy, and elegant!

Serves 2
    1 package (10)oz frozen spinach, defrosted and squeezed dry
    2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts cut horizontally in 4 pieces
    ½ cup half and half
    1/3 cup Parmesan cheese

Place spinach evenly over bottom of au gratin dish, dust chicken breasts with flour, and place one layer only on bed of spinach. Salt and pepper to taste. Pour cream over and sprinkle with Parmesan. Bake at 400 in preheated oven for 20 minutes.

Nutritional Information (according to my figuring)
    Amount Per Serving Calories: 399 | Total Fat: 14g | Protein: 51g Carbs: 15g
  • Jade17694
    Jade17694 Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    bump.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    salmon parcel

1 salmon fillet
    teaspoon crushed chillis (from a jar)
    3 teaspoons lime juice
    chopped red pepper
    pepper

wrap in tin foil and place in the oven for 25-30 mins at 225

serve with boiled potato
  • ShalisaClam
    ShalisaClam Posts: 190
    Options
    buuump
  • Tennessee2019
    Tennessee2019 Posts: 676 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ZorkNo
    ZorkNo Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Honey623
    Honey623 Posts: 37
    Options
    Bump
  • lelliebugh
    lelliebugh Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    bump
  • cherubsfly
    Options
    I'm going to try some of these. Look like yummy simple recipes :)

I'm not much of a cook either - my latest quick healthy meal is buying some crispy wholemeal bread from the bakery, sticking a piece of fresh smoked cod in the oven and heat tinned plum tomatoes with it.