Breakfast Help???

Options
I am struggling with breakfast and what to eat..

I don't have much time to make something, so I am looking for something that is quick and simple. I am a very picky eater when it comes to breakfast.. I am not a fan of eggs(made every way possible), or any hot breakfast cereal ( I have tried to force myself in eating these items, and not only do they not taste good to me, but they don't quite agree with my stomach, and working as a nurse in procedure rooms..I don't have the ability to use the restroom at any given time)

As far as yogurt goes, I have only been able to eat strawberry..the rest just don't tast good.

I have been doing the instant carnation with a banana for breakfast, but by lunch time I am starving!!
I have also ate 1 3-4" pancake with a cpl slices of bacon....not to calorie friendly.

Does anybody have any suggestions???

Replies

• pamelad77
    pamelad77 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You sound like me, when I have to be up at 4am for work, the last thing I want to do is spend ages making breakfast.

I tend to have either

Toast (I use Hovis nimble whole grain which is 51 cals a slice) with bovril on it

A protein bar. I like the Promax meal bars

Or just grab a banana and then start eating more a bit later on when I'm awake!
  • dg09
    dg09 Posts: 754
    Options
    Have you tried eating non-breakfast/morning food? Everything you listed is your traditional breakfast item, there's nothing wrong with eating anything you want in the morning.
  • 3laine75
    3laine75 Posts: 3,070 Member
    Options
    my staple for breakfast is eggs but seeing as you don't like them thats no good. on strength training days i have peanutbutter and nutella on either wholemeal toast or bagel.
  • jessie1480
    jessie1480 Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    When I'm in a hurry I throw a protine shake together put the blender picture in the sink fill it with water and go. It makes clean up super fast when I get home. I use the vinialla amp protien from GNC it's cheep and seems to work for me just fine. You can pick what ever fruits you want to throw in there some skim milk or water turn the blender on and poof there's brekfast that will turn your motabilsum on and stick with you.
  • mkmacf
    mkmacf Posts: 101
    Options
    I usually make a dozen muffins on the weekend. I leave some out, freeze some. Good for snacks and breakfast, and I can grab that and a piece of fruit or cheese on my way out the door.

I agree with the whole non-traditional breakfast thing too! Sometimes I'll make a grilled tomato and cheese sandwich.

Good luck!
  • debbond58
    debbond58 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I am a nurse too and when I worked days I would make a quick smoothie and drink it and eat an apple on the way to work.I also would toast half a whole wheat english muffin and spread peanut butter.Those things seemed to work for me.
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    I agree that you don't have to eat breakfast foods for breakfast. Personally, I don't like any of them.

If you have the time, try to plan your meals ahead of time. Fruit is always a great start to the day and if you have leftovers from the night before, why not reheat some? Good Luck!!!
  • chandni3131
    chandni3131 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I love Vega shake - or Jucieing (add the Vega to it) it gives a great boost in the morning, and allows you to get a lot of nutrients. Definitley are not hungry after that. and it's as quick as pouring some water mix and go.
  • student94
    student94 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't like regular yogurt at all, but I'm a huge fan of greek yogurt, which tastes better and keeps me full for hours. If I'm in a hurry in the mornings, my go-to foods are: apples, bananas, toast, peanut butter, and greek yogurt.
  • sugarbear16
    sugarbear16 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    You nee protein at each meal. Nuts, seeds, etc. Almonds, walnuts, pistachios, are all good.
    1. Rice cakes topped with almond butter and assorted fruit. (400-500 calories)
    2. Berry Blast off smoothie- protein powder of your liking, 1 c rice milk or unsweetened fruit juice, 1/2 c ice cubes, 1 banana, 1/2 c strawberries, and 1/2 c blueberries. blend until smooth. (447 calories)

3. Cream of rice cereal with rice milk (438 calories)
    4. Fruit salad with mixed nuts-1 banana slice, 1/2 c strawberries, 1/2 c blueberries, 1/2 c chopped apple, (bite size) 1/2 c grapes 1/2 c cantaloupe, 1/4 walnuts, and 1/c almonds. (430 calories)

I have celiac and have been forced to eat awful tasting food for years. This is real food, most of it, learn to like them. Change your taste and give it time. Can't change old habits or taste buds overnight. Good luck.
  • dcollins1014
    Options
    thank you all for reposting and helping!!
  • Dare2Believe
    Dare2Believe Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not a big breakfast eater either. Somethings I have learned to enjoy eating are Thomas' Bagel thins with whipped butter or 1/2 cup cottage cheese with a piece of fruit. Like the others have said, you could throw some leftovers in the microwave & heat it up, it doesn't have to be typical breakfast food to start your day.
  • 7funnygirl7
    7funnygirl7 Posts: 1,176
    Options
    I love peanut butter and banana on a wrap...super easy and quick!
  • bedoozled
    bedoozled Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Just some thoughts!
    If you don't like hot breakfast cereal, why not try overnight oats? You take old-fashioned rolled oats (not the instant kind), and the night before you put them in a bowl with equal parts liquid (1 cup oats to 1 cup soy milk/milk/water/nut milk etc.), and then add some flavor - my personal favorite is a pinch of cinnamon, a dash of vanilla, some sea salt, and then depending on my mood maybe a little ground ginger/nutmeg/cardamom etc. In the morning take it out, add a little honey/maple syrup/agave (keep down the processed sugars for more energy!), and maybe some fresh fruit or chopped nuts, and you're good to go! Cold, healthy, fast and easy.

Have you tried Greek yogurt? It's a little tangier than regular yogurt, and one of my favorites mixed with some honey, fresh fruit and granola.

This morning I just tried something new for the first time - Field Roast's Chorizo Vegan Sausages; really delicious, and cook up quickly - add some toast (whole grain!) and fruit and you're good to go. You can also play on this "breakfast sandwich" idea with a lot of variations - english muffins with thinly sliced ham or turkey, maybe a piece of toasted or grilled bread spread with avocado and a touch of sea salt (and you could add a slice tomato, or spinach or arugula for even more fiber/staying power!). Whenever I have a really big day in front of me, I love making tuna melts for breakfast - if you mix up the tuna salad the night before (I do canned tuna packed in water, with a mixture of mostly plain 0% greek yogurt, a touch of mayonnaise, some mustard, and chopped up celery/onions), then it'll take barely five minutes to turn on the broiler, toast an english muffin, dab on the tuna salad, top with a slice of tomato/slice of cheese, and pop under the broiler until the cheese melts. Guaranteed to keep you full and going!

I also don't know if you like cold breakfast cereals, but my personal favorite right now (and far and above the easiest and fastest option) is a bowl of Health Valley's Amaranth Flakes (the spelt and kamut are also great!), some Silk Vanilla Lite Soy milk, and a handful of fresh berries. Hope some of this helps!

One last thought I just had - this recipe http://mynewroots.blogspot.com/2011/01/new-year-new-breakfast.html from the blog My New Roots (a great recipe blog in general!) is delicious, and easy - at the start of the week, cook up a big batch of millet/quinoa together, and then each morning measure out a scoop into a little pot, add some milk (soy/nut/cow, whatever), some frozen berries, and whatever else you like (like the overnight oats, I usually do honey, salt, cinnamon, vanilla) - this meal is INCREDIBLY filling, and hits a lot of great food groups!
  • tmarie2715
    tmarie2715 Posts: 1,111 Member
    Options
    Whole wheat English muffin with a slice of cheese or 1/2 cup of fat free cottage cheese

Morningstar farms soy bacon (2 strips is 60 cal, so feel free to have four!), whole wheat slice of bread (45 calorie version would work perfectly)

Kashi Go Lean cereal with fresh berries or strawberries and almond milk (or regular milk, whatever floats your boat milk-wise)

I have a lot of friends who eat the craziest breakfasts! Think veggies, pasta, etc. If if is pretty balanced (a carb, a fat, a protein) it will fill you up and hopefully get you to lunch. Who cares if it isn't a traditional "breakfast" food?
  • SoozeE512
    SoozeE512 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    If you don't like hot cereals, how about cold? I keep reading that it's good to get a breakfast of 350-400 calories with about 14 or 15 g of protein in it to get your metabolism going at the start of the day and I find it's working for me. I never have much time in the morning so I measure out 2 cups of Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cheerios and a 1/4 cup of Post Shredded Wheat n' Bran the night before, and then in the morning, I pour 1 cup of 1% lowfat milk over the cereal and that satisfies me and the 350 calories and 15 g of protein.
  • maf66
    maf66 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    As others have said, you don't have to eat traditional breakfast foods. I think you're starving b/c you're not getting enough protein and fiber. Those keep you full longer! You could make a sandwich with lean low sodium meat and reduced fat cheese!

Someone else posted about muffins and I've been thinking about trying those myself. You could make a savory pizza muffin with whatever you want and maybe even add some whey protein powder to them, or a banana nut muffin, ham and cheese muffin...

I make smoothies with Fage total 0% greek yogurt, milk and fruit. Soooo yummy and don't taste like yogurt.

Kashi go lean cereal is high in protein and they have protein bars that would go well with fruit and a glass of milk.

Good luck!!!
  • dcollins1014
    Options
    Maybe I have been going on about this the wrong way, as far as calories goes. My reccomended calorie intake is 1360, which about 450calories for breakfast, lunch, and dinner....and no snacks. I try to eat a 200 or less calorie breakfast, and 300 calorie lunch..and then the rest for a snack and dinner later.....(Even healthier dinners always seem to add up :(

I am open up to suggestions. I want to make it so I can manage my hunger feelings, and not feel tired after work to workout!!
  • lilyjaney2
    Options
    Hello there! I am like that and I have found that making protein shakes in my salvation! I almost always have a coffee protein shake every morning, and its delicious! You'll need a blender, and if you have one, try it out:

Ingredients:
    1/2 cup or a whole cup coffee
    some type of creamer (I use half and half)
    1 scoop vanilla or chocolate protein powder
    1 cup ice
    a few packets of splenda, or any other sugar substitute

So, really you just through all these ingredients into a blender! For the creamer, I just put a splash in, usually around two tablespoons. Also, you have to use cold coffee if you want the shake to actually be a shake, but if not (like me) I just poor it out of the coffee pot and when I blend it it turns into liquid, but I still think it tastes good. I know this might sound like it take a lot of time, but really it doesn't. Also, you can really use any kind of protein powder flavor, but somehow I don't think strawberry would taste very good! Hope you enjoy!! By the way, this is only 152 calories!! ( but it also depends on what protein powder you use) :)
  • bobie1978
    bobie1978 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    I usually eat a slice of whole wheat toast with a tablespoon of peanut butter and a glass of skim milk. Keeps me going until snack time :)