Target Heart Rate for Weight Loss?

Options
I have looked up about 8 different websites on heart rate and almost all of the calculations have me at a heart target rate of 141-152. I am 35 years old and by my understanding, I should be working out between 65%-75% of my Maximum Heart Rate of 185 with a Resting Heart Rate of approximately 62. Yet when I want to walk at 3 mph, the heart rate goes up to 160 or so and my heart rate monitor starts beeping at me because I'm above my target zone. The thing is I don't feel like I'm overdoing it going that fast. Heck, when I was lighter I could do 4 mph or more. I figured since I'm really overweight right now, I wouldn't go above 3 mph, but that's just brisk for me. About 3.5 mph would be my limit.

So does anyone know why I have to slow down so much to keep my heart rate within range even though it feels too easy for me? Are my numbers accurate or should I push them up some? This is for burning calories to lose weight. Thanks in advance!

Replies

• planetcitygirl73
    planetcitygirl73 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I have looked up about 8 different websites on heart rate and almost all of the calculations have me at a heart target rate of 141-152. I am 35 years old and by my understanding, I should be working out between 65%-75% of my Maximum Heart Rate of 185 with a Resting Heart Rate of approximately 62. Yet when I want to walk at 3 mph, the heart rate goes up to 160 or so and my heart rate monitor starts beeping at me because I'm above my target zone. The thing is I don't feel like I'm overdoing it going that fast. Heck, when I was lighter I could do 4 mph or more. I figured since I'm really overweight right now, I wouldn't go above 3 mph, but that's just brisk for me. About 3.5 mph would be my limit.

So does anyone know why I have to slow down so much to keep my heart rate within range even though it feels too easy for me? Are my numbers accurate or should I push them up some? This is for burning calories to lose weight. Thanks in advance!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have heard that the fat burning zone is bunk. I don't remember exactly where I heard it, but I think it was from more than one source. Basically, what I took from what I heard/read was that you will still burn fat at the 75% - 85% range, but it happens a little differently. However, the 75% - 85% range is good for your heart and if you work in the 65% - 75% range, you have to work out longer to burn the same number of calories as you would in the "cardio" range.

So, basically, if you are in the 65% - 75% range, great, you are burning fat, but if you are in the 75%-85% range, even better because you are burning fat and helping your heart.
  • MattySparky
    MattySparky Posts: 771
    Options
    Im assuming your heart rate goes up that fast because you are either A) out of shape OR B) Overweight, or both. Heart rate doesn't lie. It goes up like that because your body is demanding more oxygenated blood. If your heart is reacting, then just trust it... you are getting a workout.
  • ktthegr8
    ktthegr8 Posts: 479
    Options
    Turn the alarm off and do your thing!
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    Well I am majorly overweight and up until a month ago, I was fairly sedentary, so I imagine my heart hasn't caught up with my body yet. I have been doing the Biggest Loser 30-Day Jump Start book, and I feel so much stronger in a short amount of time. I guess I will try to slow down a bit at least until I complete the program and lose a certain amount of weight. Sometimes people can be overdoing it and they don't even know until after the workout. I'd rather be safe than sorry. Just a bit frustrated that the heart rate issue seems to range so much--so many theories. And I would like to pay attention to my heart rate monitor since I just paid a bunch for it haha. :ohwell:
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    the don't slow the contestants down on biggest loser. I've been listening to a backlog of Jillian Michael's radio show and she tries to keep them at 85% of their max heart rate. Now, I'm not saying to kill yourself, but in my opinoin, you shouldn't worry about being over 75% of max. Of course, I am assuming you've seen your doctor and have no medical issues that would interfere...
  • Iceprincessk25
    Iceprincessk25 Posts: 1,888 Member
    Options
    I'm 29 and 140lbs. and when I work out on the elliptical my heart rate is anywhere from 150-160 BPM. When I'm on the treadmill it jumps up to 160-170 BPM. ALl of which is supposedly out of my range.

I just turn off the alarm on my HRM. :bigsmile:
  • spicy618
    spicy618 Posts: 2,117 Member
    Options
    Well I'm 40 and 165 lbs.... I own a HRM.

When I go walking I can keep my HR at the 65 - 76% range. I'm not huffin and puffin, but I do work up a sweat. I usually walk about 5 - 6 miles in 1 hour 25 minutes... 700 calories burned. I can go longer if I wanted.

When I go rollerblading I can't keep my HR lower than the 85% range, I'm sweating but my breathing is controlled. Usually in 1 hour and 30 minutes.... about 900 calories.

When I do the elliptical I depending on the resistance I'm usually in the 80 - 90 % range, sweating like a pig in 35 minutes. However, I can continue. Usually about 400 calories.

When I do step class my HR goes into 102%, I don't even realize it until i look at my HRM... 50 minute class 600 calories.

My point, the lower the heart rate range, the longer you can continue to exercise in one session. Then when your heart becomes healthier, you can last longer in the higher range, eventually burning more calories in less time. Just my 2 cents.

I just try to keep it less than 90% range most times.
  • monteig
    monteig Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I don't have a HRM, but I do have the same issue with the machines at the gym.

My HR on the elliptical is always so much higher than it is supposed to be on the little chart! And I can never use those "fat burning" modes because I cannot keep my HR at the rate they want it to be at.

Is there some magical way that people keep their HR at some pre-selected rate???
  • kwieringa
    kwieringa Posts: 4
    Options
    OH MAN! I LOVE THIS QUESTION. Being a personal fitness coach I get that one a lot.
    #1 Fat burn zone and cardio zone myth: 2 doctors flying to a heart disease convention to speak on a topic on how to recondition cardiac patients came up with this b.s. equation of 65% and 80%. They assumed that a babies max HR is 220 and assumed that for every on this earth you will lose 1 beat. So lets take 80% of an assumed max HR and that will be our cardiac reconditioning zone. Lets call the bottom a fat burning zone and lets make that 65%. They wrote this down on a napkin! 1st of all are you a cardiac patient??? 2nd of all are you in the same level of fitness as all your peers your age??? No, your not! Your metabolism is unique to you!!! This is like saying all people of the same age wear the same pants!

#2 In order to get the most effective results at reconditioning your cardiovascular system to burn more fat and more calories is to train within about 3-5 zones. My zones are as follows:
    Aerobic zones (oxygen using zones)
    Zone 1 105-135 is a recovery zone for interval training or recovery workouts after an intense training day. Your body needs rest and if you always train hard your body will burn muscle tissue, not recover from your workouts, develop overuse injuries, and NOT REACH YOUR GOAL OF PERMANENT WEIGHT LOSS. eg. day 1 interval training day 2 recovery workout. This zone usually is about 50-100% fat utilization the rest carbs.
    Zone 2 135-150 is a comfortable/moderate pace without heavy breathing. This will condition your body to process oxygen so you can burn fat and more of it. The reason why people dont like these 2 first zones is because you dont "feel" like your working out. Also not many calories are burned in these 2 zones. Ive got news for you this zone is about 30-50% fat utilization the rest carbs.
    Zone 3 150-165 is an endurance zone with challenge in its name. this will condition your body to process oxygen at higher heart rates as well as increase your upper zones and teach your body to store more carbs. eg. instead of my zone 3 ending at 165 i can push it to 170. This zone is also where you will increase your calories burned in one day. 5-30% fat utilization the rest carbs.
    Anerobic zones (no oxygen processed so no fat used, only carbs)
    Zone 4 165-175 is a challenging zone that will help improve upper zone limits and increase cardiac output. Most if not all energy or calories consumed come from carbs.
    Zone 5 175+ will improve peak VO2

Bottom line. Do you want to burn fat or carbs??? Do you want to train hard and starve your body and over train it or do you want to train smart??? In order to do this you must train within a variety of heart rates. This will teach your body to burn fat and minimize carb consumption. You either will burn a lot of sugar and hit a plateau with your fitness or you will burn fat and continue to see change.

PS your zones will be different when it comes to comparing it to swimming, eliptical, bike, treadmill, or doing jumping jax

if you need more info just leme know
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options

The problem with all max heart rate calculations is that they have a built in standard error of 10-12 beats/min. That means that a number of people can have a max HR substantially higher than the age-predicted number of 220. A good exercise physiologist could give you some useful insights, even based on a submaximal exercise test.

Too many people buy a HRM and let it rule them right out of the box. When you start using an HRM, you should just observe your exercise response at first and compare your perceived exertion with what you see on the monitor. If you don't feel you are pushing yourself too hard, are working out at a level of increased breathing but not straining, then you are probably at an appropriate level. Note the heart rate at that level and work around that. Don't focus too much on calculated "ranges" at first. Above all, don't worry about "zones" of any kind right now.

You will burn calories no matter what you do -- right now it's more important to build up your endurance and to start increasing your fitness.
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    Thank you for all the information! It's a lot to take in and obviously no simple, "one size fits all" route to losing weight. It's pretty funny to me that you have to change things around so much to confuse or trick your body into doing what you want it to do. I wish it were as simple as calories in, calories out, but it's not. It seems my body is resistant to weight loss even when I follow the plans telling me how many calories to eat and how much time to exercise. I have changed so much about my lifestyle, including not just the number of calories, but eating so many more healthful things and moving 4x as much as I used to. Still, I had spent the past month with not a single pound coming off. So I decided to further invest in things like walking shoes and an HRM.

I am thinking I'll go with the advice that I can increase my percentage level a little higher and measure it alongside my perceived exertion and find a happy medium. I am quite surprised to hear about how doctors came up with the accepted formula in the first place. It is a bit odd that I should have the same target heart rate as every other person my age regardless of physical condition. As for the zones, I had read a little about that, but hadn't got that far in my training. Although I've been exercising on and off over the years and know a lot of the kinds of exercise and the terminology, I'm somewhere between beginner and intermediate for my fitness level, so I'll have to make sure I don't overdo it. I am building up my cardiovascular strength steadily and look forward to moving on to other levels.
  • krhbutte
    krhbutte Posts: 246
    Options
    tagging to read later
  • rower45
    rower45 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I recommend a great book by the guru of heart rate study -- Sally Edwards. Her book in called the Heart Rate Monitor Guide Book. It is for someone at a beginning fitness level and goes up to advanced training. She got her PHD (I think) at UC Berkeley years ago and challenged the then current accepted heart rate philosophy. She says that everyone needs to go by their own heart rate and the formula using the age is basically wrong. In her book she gives several ways to test your own heart rate to determine your maximum heart rate.

Mine is 185. So I programmed my heart rate monitor to alert me if I am going under level 2 and over level three. But I started in January with only Level 2.

I started walking now jogging in January and started at level 2 with my HRM. Kept my heart rate at 110 - 120. When my fitness improved, I had to move up to jogging to keep it up.

I moved into level 3 and now am jogging 2 miles. I slow down when my heart rate hits 150 and go to walking but today I did 3 miles.

My suggestion is to go with level 2 for a while until you get your fitness level up there. Its very motiviating. Then go between 2 -3 for overall health and fitness improvement.

But there is NOTHING WRONG with level 2!!!

Have fun! Google Sally Edward and you'll find her site with the book. I recommend it :glasses:
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    BTW, my Polar F6 was beeping like mad the first time I took it out for a walk. Then I realized that I could set different workout zones...mild, light, moderate, hard. It was preset to moderate. I changed it to zone hard and the only time it beeped was when I was climbing massive hills, and then I just didn't worry about it.

I read that staying in the "fat burn zone" burns a higher percentage of fat per calories burned, but "cardio zone" still burns more fat calories. As I want to burn more fat calories, I stay in the cardio zone. In my feeble mind, this makes sense.
    Here's the article.

http://exercise.about.com/cs/cardioworkouts/l/aa022601a.htm

Low Intensity - 60-65% MHR High Intensity - 80-85% MHR
    Total Calories expended per min. 4.86 6.86
    Fat Calories expended per min. 2.43 2.7
    Total Calories expended in 30 min. 146 206
    Total Fat calories expended in 30 min. 73 82
    Percentage of fat calories burned 50% 39.85%

sorry, I can't get the table to format so the columns line up, but you can see it better on the URL I posted.
  • planetcitygirl73
    Options
    For now I'm sticking with the target numbers and percentages because I am working my way up from being very sedentary and overweight, but I am interested in learning more about all these zones, so I'll be doing some reading on this subject. Thanks for the info. :flowerforyou:
  • Nellie1drfl
    Nellie1drfl Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    saving