Eating for One

Options
I was just wondering some recipes people make if they are just eating a meal for one? I often have trouble making things because of waste, and just find it easier to get fast food or something quick.

Replies

• mousepaws22
    mousepaws22 Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    I have this problem qas well, tend to just eat big bowls of vegetables with a chicken breast or some fish. Would be interested inany good recipes.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I tend to make enough for 4, and then put one or two portions in the refrigerator, and the rest in the freezer - depending on how much I want to eat that this week. I find that since I am busy, I would rather cook 1 or 2 days a week, and still have choices (the freezer items can last for a couple of weeks). This helps with lunches too - I can just grab and go if I am in a hurry!!! For breakfast - always a GREEN SMOOTHIE!!!!! LOVE!!!
  • Witchmoo
    Witchmoo Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    When I make things I just dish up one portion and then freeze the others in single portions which means I have something quick and easy after work :)
  • htrl877
    htrl877 Posts: 49
    Options
    hmm turnip greens and kale are great to just pull out of a bag for yourself. 1 cup boiled is around 29 calories. Top it with some gouda cheese (100 cals/per slice) and have a side of boiled snow peas (35 calories per 3/4 cup) and a protein like chicken, vegetarian meat, or lean turkey
  • rookmb
    rookmb Posts: 84
    Options
    I try to plan a week of meals in advance. If I'm making soup, I'll cook it on Saturday or Sunday and then freeze it. I may make a crockpot full of chicken breast and eat it throughout the week. Cooking for one is hard, so I simply divide it up and freeze it. Good Luck!!!!
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    I forgot to add - if I am trying something new, that I'm not sure if I will love, I just look at the portions, and cut the recipe to one (or maybe two) servings!

You can also google recipes for one - there are tons of cookbooks out there, and I think most of the food network pages, have built in portion converters!!!
  • wonderwomanwannaB
    Options
    Like many here, I portion out leftovers to make my own frozen meals.

Stir-fry is always a great, quick option for living alone. Make 1 portion of minute rice. Use cooking spray in a pan, add a protein of your choice (My favorite is bay scallops. I buy them frozen and just let water run over how many I want for a couple minutes to thaw them and I'm good to go!) and 2 different colors of vegetables (carrots and snow peas, mushrooms and asparagus, broccoli and sweet potato) after they've cooked a little while add a tablespoon of stirfry sauce (tend to only be about 35 kca/serving). It's hot, gives a great balance of nutrients, you can change up the ingredients and not get bored (there's a lot of variety in stirfry sauces), inexpensive, and only takes about 10 minutes.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    I tend to cook one huge batch of a lean meat (whether it's chicken or fish) and store it in the fridge by serving and then just make whatever vegetables or potatoes I will eat with the lean meat that day. Sweet potatoes are awesome because you can just stick it in the microwave for five minutes and it's done.
  • winesar21
    winesar21 Posts: 77
    Options
    Thank you all for the great ideas!
  • BettyBeth14
    BettyBeth14 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    Bump for replies as I have teh same problem xx
  • Kandygirl
    Kandygirl Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    check out the hungry girl cookbooks they have recipes for one.