Trouble Running in the Heat

Options
For the first time in over six months I was unable to finish my run today. About 3 miles into my 5 mile run I began to feel lightheaded and excessively tired. My heart rate was just below my max, and my fingers were so swollen I couldn't make a fist. After another half mile I felt no better and slowed to a walk. The 1.5 mile walk-of-shame home was even exhausting. :angry: I have been running outside for about a year, and the distance is not new for me. Mostly I run at night, and in the last week it has gone from winter to summer here so today's 77 degrees and sun was a lot warmer than I am used to. I have two races this spring and will need to learn to run when it is warmer during the day. Please share your suggestions-- pace adjustments, hydration belts, lightweight clothing (I have too much flab to even consider running in only a sports bra), etc. Thanks!

Replies

• yeralosersmile
    Options
    You should be proud of ANY walking you did =]] That's how I do it. I praise myself for even simple exercise =] Maybe it will help you, too!!!!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    No such thing as the "walk of shame" you should be patting yourself on the back for having the good sense to back down when something isn't right.

Running in the heat takes acclimation. Make sure you're well hydrated, wear a hat, and slowly start building your distances in the daytime heat. I can honestly say the most miserable run of my life was last May a few days after running a 10K race, it went from spring to summer overnight and I went for a mid-day run (I'm usually a morning or evening runner), I was slow and just felt awful.
  • HungryMom
    HungryMom Posts: 280
    Options

Thank you so much!!! Your post is very helpful. I particularly like the idea of doing trail runs during the day. And Brian, "the most miserable run of my life" is exactly how it felt. Thanks all!
  • scottb81
    scottb81 Posts: 2,538 Member
    Options
    You just need to acclimate to the heat. Drink lots of water and run in the heat for two weeks. Your body will adapt and it will get easier.