Do some people never see their collar bones?

Options
I can't remember ever having seen my collarbone even when I was small. I would LOVE to see it!! Does it happen to everyone as they lose weight, or do some people, just never see them ? Does anyone know?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Interesting!

I just looked back over pictures of me as a child (I was very thin as a child), and in my late teenage years when I looked slim (though I don't know exactly what weight I was at the time - it may have been my goal, it may have been higher. I have no clue what I'll look like at my goal weight). In none of those pictures do I have a visible collarbone. I'm pretty sure I've never seen mine either, and I have been scrawny in the past.

I'm thinking I'll never have a visible collarbone. I imagine, looking back at those pictures, I'd have to reach a low weight I really wasn't happy with to see it. That said, I don't like the way they look on anyone, so that's probably a good thing for me personally.
  • linzirussell
    linzirussell Posts: 116 Member
    Options
    im not sure, mine are pretty visible now but im still not at my goal weight yet. when i weighed 282 they wern't visible, im not sure exactly when they became visible but i know i was still in the 'overweight' bmi category when i started noticing them. i think its just cos iv got really broad shoulders tho! x
  • TamsinEllis
    TamsinEllis Posts: 293
    Options
    I think it depends on the person, I'm pretty sure everyone can get to a weight (not saying it would be a healthy weight) where they can see their collar bones, personally I do remember (and can see in old photos) having my collar bones show, but never could you see them more then say 2inches). Now I say I'm pretty certain it depends on the person because I am still overweight (according to BMI, and body fat percentage) but I can see my collar bones anyway (not as obvious as when I was a lower weight of course). I think it all depends on you at the end of the day, I also have cheekbones and I know plenty of girls fitter, healthier (and skinnier) then me and they don't have any visable cheekbones.

Edit: Just noticed girl above me mentioned being overweight and seeing hers but that she has broad shoulders, I have tiny shoulders (one shoulder measuers 5inches, my entire upper body from shoulder to shoulder is 14inches, and I have a lot of fat on my shoulders at the moment).
  • CannibalisticVegetarian
    CannibalisticVegetarian Posts: 1,255 Member
    Options
    Up until a couple of months ago, I had NEVER EVER seen my collar bones in my entire life. They were probably showing when I was a kid, but who pays attention to that sort of stuff then? During my journey, I finally noticed that I didn't have any... well showing. Eventually though, I discovered them ..and in the strangest way possible. I'd seen something jutting out of my skin kind of and completely went into panic mode until someone sat me down and explained the process...So yeah.

I think it really depends on the person and how their body is, but I couldn't see why anyone wouldn't be able to see theirs after losing weight. I mean it'd be hard to imagine weight staying in the shoulders for very long. To me it seems like that'd be one of the first places to lose.
  • ishallnotwant
    ishallnotwant Posts: 1,210 Member
    Options
    My collarbones and wrist bones stick out when i'm at a healthy weight for my height, around 150 or under-it gets pretty pronounced when I get under 145 (i'm 5 foot 6, for reference). My mom always freaks out about that point and tells me to stop losing, and that I am looking unhealthy, but at that point I still have plenty to lose on my thighs and a bit on my tummy area, too. I think it has a lot to do with the way our bodies hold fat: different people store fat in different areas.
  • sweetie1975
    sweetie1975 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    When I was 80lbs lighter, mine were very visible and I can't wait to see them again.
  • Elizabeth_M
    Elizabeth_M Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    I have no clue - but I must say, that even at my heaviest at 207 (224 when pregnant), I always had a visible collarbone. And biceps, too. Weird.
  • Hopelessbird
    Options
    Mine is on my profile at my starting weight.
  • HotBodUnderConstruction
    Options
    My collarbones and wrist bones stick out when i'm at a healthy weight for my height, around 150 or under-it gets pretty pronounced when I get under 145 (i'm 5 foot 6, for reference). My mom always freaks out about that point and tells me to stop losing, and that I am looking unhealthy, but at that point I still have plenty to lose on my thighs and a bit on my tummy area, too. I think it has a lot to do with the way our bodies hold fat: different people store fat in different areas.

I agree with this. I am 5'6" and I weigh 135lbs and I cannot see my clavicles. I'd need to lose approximately 5-10lbs for them to show. It's the way my weight is distributed.
  • OpenHeaven
    OpenHeaven Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Even at my highest weight (285), I could easily see mine...I think it depends on the person. I know thin girls who don't have noticeable collar bones!
  • lesliejil4
    Options
    Besides weightloss, I would say the body fat would play a part too. There are lot's of people who are at "goal" weight but still not in a body fat % that is Ideal. Weight training, cardio and weight loss will equal visible collar bones and some other great stuff too!! Good luck!!
  • PoeRaven
    PoeRaven Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    When I was heavier I couldn't see mine. Now, at 40 lbs lighter, I do.
    I do believe there are body types that do not have a pronounced clavical bone.
  • suerun11
    suerun11 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    So funny! I was thinking about this a few days ago! I have noticed some people have very obvious collarbones, even at average weight, I can tell I have them but never anything that would get anyone's attention:( Plus one of my collarbones was broken in high school and seems to point in instead of out now! Booo!
  • kaiser90
    kaiser90 Posts: 29
    Options
    i dont want to see my collar bones anymore..ha
  • Aureilie
    Aureilie Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    Even at my heaviest (5'7" and 230lbs) my collarbones have been very visible. I think it just depends on your bone structure.
  • here_I_go_again
    here_I_go_again Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Thank you to all who replied. guess I may never see mine :cry:
  • Caligirl_92
    Caligirl_92 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I think it doesn't really matter, its not an absolute truth that you see them when your thinner. At my heaviest weight of 205, which is 26 pounds from the top of my "normal" BMI range and 50 pounds from my ultimate goal weight, I could clearly see my collar bones. I have noticed as I get thinner they become even more pronounced which kinda makes me think when i get to my goal weight ill have some serious collar bones :indifferent: but point is that I am overweight and have visible collar bones while some of my friends who are normal weight don't. If you are focusing on that I don't think you should be its not a sign of healthy or unhealthy :smile:
  • nuemmedigg
    nuemmedigg Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    It so depends on your built.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm guessing it has a lot to do with build.

When I was thin, they always showed and I never thought much about it. I've never been flat chested or anything either, so I know it isn't related to boob size.

Lets see for me:
    5'4"
    Medium/Large Frame

125lbs - collar bones showed and were very obvious.........even with 34D boobs (mentioning this because, I've heard people claim your collar bones won't show if you have big boobs...their reason is generally big boobs mean you have more fat in that general area)

140lbs - collar bones showed and were still obvious....34DD

Then I stopped paying attention for a long time

260lbs - no visible collar bones...unknown bra size

194lbs - collar bones are starting to become visible despite being categorized as obese....34H

Point is I think it just has a lot to do with your bone structure.
  • chunkadoo
    chunkadoo Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I think it's genetic. I have very, very prominent collar bones--I have never been underweight/on the low end of my height's healthy weight. I also have broad shoulders and a large frame, so I'm thinking it my be my build?