To Quote Elvis... 'It's Now or Never'

Options
Hey all... My name is Skip Murdock. 45 years old, but feeling MUCH older due to this weight. When I actually started myfitnesspal yesterday, I tipped the scales at 400lbs... Enough is enough... Through the years, I always said 'I really should lose some weight'... Of course, I said 'I'll start tomorrow'. Well, as predicted, it never started tomorrow...

Long story short: I work with adults with developmental disabilities. We recently had a training day to go over SCIP maneuvers (wraps, take downs, etc...) and CPR. Doing these trainings on a concrete floor opened my eyes... 400lbs on a pair of knees kneeling on a floor hurts... Hurts bad... Real bad... Thanks to Aleve tablets, the pain was dulled enough to get me through the day, barely... That was my wake-up call... What if I am not able to do these required classes ? Easy: I will be out a job...

On top of that, I want to be referred to as something other than 'that heavy guy'... A friend told me about myfitnesspal, and how effective it is...

Well, here I am... 'It's Now or Never'...

Replies

• thumper71123
    Options
    You've taken the first step! Great job! =) Myfitnesspal is a fantastic place for support and encouragement! Good luck in your quest and feel free to add me if you'd like.
    Katie
  • the_energy
    Options
    Welcome Skip!! (friend request sent)

Sound like your determined which is awesome! I hope you#ll find the site and (most) of the people on here super supportive and motivating! My best starting advice would be to use these forums and get a load of friends on your profile :)

Also do you have a smartphone? Is there an App available you can download? They're all free and connect to your account :)

if you accept my friend request you can read my profile and see what I'm bout (also i've collected a good bunch of friends on here and I know they wouldn't mind you poaching them hehe)

Good luck!
    xLisax (London UK):smile:
  • Jenny6694
    Jenny6694 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I understand. I was told about MyFitnessPal by a friend too. At first it seemed easy enough, and truthfully, it really is simple. I just want to warn you, that for the first few weeks, you will feel like you are starving to death if you are doing it correctly. Also, you will start to think about food, all the time, dreaming about it even. I did. Those things made it difficult at first, but as time went on, it became easier. Now, I am able to tell you what a portion size is, and how many calories are in all of my favorite foods. I have only been doing this since January 18th, and I have already lost 16 pounds, maybe more, I haven't weighed myself in over two weeks.

This is the best tool I have ever found to keep me accountable for what I am doing, and eating. I love it. I am praying for you in your weightloss/health journey. Don't ever give up, and make sure that you find some friends to support you locally!

God Bless!
  • pray21
    pray21 Posts: 1
    Options
    Hi Skip Welcome to my fitness pal:) great first step I am sure with the support from mfp you will succeed in your journey, feel free to add me I only joined last week.
    Trevor
  • skipmurdock
    skipmurdock Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the advice...
  • Griff257
    Griff257 Posts: 2
    Options
    Just joined an hour or so ago myself! Glad to see there's an active community, and I can see how that might help. Good luck, Skip!

Griff
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    I've been here for all of four days, but already feel quite positive about things. This is the proverbial 'marathon not sprint' but the journey should be interesting. Good luck!
  • BobbieLee1959
    BobbieLee1959 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN DO IT SKIP!! :) I promise that counting calories will never hurt as much as that knee pain or the pain from losing a job! YOU have complete control of what you put into your mouth and can therefore control these other two items! Just be faithful, honest, and the weight will begin to fall off! I know, because I am 21.5 pounds down and on my way to Onderland!! I have been heavy most of my adult life and when I finally started on MFP, not only did the pounds begin to fall off, but my joints (all of them) have new life...and I was achy all the time before MFP...so I have to say MFP gave me a new lease on life and it can you, too!! Let's begin! I will be praying for you to stick with the program and for relief to come to you!!
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Welcome to MFP Skip.....This is a great site.....:flowerforyou:
  • MindyG150
    MindyG150 Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Welcome Skip, be patient be diligent...and MOVE as much as possible.
  • seal57
    seal57 Posts: 1,259 Member
    Options
    Skip, just remember this is a lifestyle change so make choices that you will be able to keep going.....

Work treats into your diet.....If you want something, then have it....Moderation is the key.....I still eat chocolate and sweet but I work them into my diet......Although, sometimes I do go over I don't freak out because tomorrow is another day.....

My weight loss has been slow but, as long as I'm not gaining, I'm happy.....Remember, slow and steady wins the race.....

Good luck on your new journey.........
  • debilang
    debilang Posts: 874 Member
    Options
    YOU CAN REACH YOUR WEIGHT GOALS, Skip...and it sounds like you are DETERMINED!!!! I had a heart attack two years ago...and just passed a treadmill test with flying colors. I make my husband's lunch 5 days a week...and feed him homemade chicken salad, or tuna...give him fresh fruit, ... no longer do I feed him chips or processed sugar, and he is losing weight! I enjoy cheering Pals on...and wish you the best in your journey. If ya wanna another friend ... just let me know :)

Take care!
    Debbie