Sodium is not my friend!

Options
ali106
ali106 Posts: 3,754 Member
Hi....

I know sodium is not great for you but lately since I've been actually keeping track of what I'm eating I'm noticing a lot of sodium hidden in foods I really never thought of as being high in it....like bread!

I noticed I went up a 1/2 a pound from one day to the next w/ only eating approx 1200 a day ...drinking all my water too....and exercising....I'm thinking its retaining water w/ all the sodium...the tell tale sign w/ me is my fingers get puffy....

Do you all have any tips on what to do when you have too much sodium, I'm thinking water...but then I think...wait water gain :noway: LOL...ugh this is tough would love any help or advice!

thanks so much!
Ali

Replies

• ali106
    Options
    Hi....

I know sodium is not great for you but lately since I've been actually keeping track of what I'm eating I'm noticing a lot of sodium hidden in foods I really never thought of as being high in it....like bread!

I noticed I went up a 1/2 a pound from one day to the next w/ only eating approx 1200 a day ...drinking all my water too....and exercising....I'm thinking its retaining water w/ all the sodium...the tell tale sign w/ me is my fingers get puffy....

Do you all have any tips on what to do when you have too much sodium, I'm thinking water...but then I think...wait water gain :noway: LOL...ugh this is tough would love any help or advice!

thanks so much!
    Ali
  • Eliyan
    Eliyan Posts: 115
    Options
    Drinking water actually combats water gain; it helps your body release the water it's holding on to to flush it out with the water you drink. So water's a good idea for fighting sodium and water retention.

It's the only one I know, though, so I'm dying to know other tips too.
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    water is it. Without enough water you will actually retain water, sounds backwards but true. easy formula is 1/2 your body weight in ounces, if you exercise you should add 16oz to that and if you live in a dry or very humid climate you need to add 16 more. Water water water.:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • ali106
    Options
    well thank you! thank you! thank you! lol...

I just grabbed a bottle out of the fridge now....that makes great sense!

Those reports on nutrition are rockin' but man I almost fainted when I saw a few of my days where my sodium was way over 3000 mg....I'll double up or triple up on those days from now on...

thanks for the help guys!
    Ali :drinker: