Fasting or Cleanses

Options
Has anyone done a fast or a cleanse?

Replies

• 10_M
    10_M Posts: 22
    Options
    I was wanting to do one juice fast a week if you want to partner up? :)
  • I don't think either is healthy.
    Fasting? NEVER.
  • KrisyKat
    KrisyKat Posts: 749 Member
    Options
    I tried the "Master Cleanse" a few times. At the time, I was all "gung-ho" about it. Now? Let's just say I won't be doing it again...I'd rather eat healthy than starve myself on lemon juice and cayenne pepper!!
  • ashielovesdashie88
    Options
    i've fasted before. I have weigh ins at work for a competition we're doing and what i do is eat 12 days straight and exercise then go on a two day fast right before hand to shed any additional toxins in my body. It hasn't hurt my weight loss and i didn't shoot up weight wise more than two pounds afterward, i quickly shed those in about a days time. Most people would suggest a fast if you've plateaued in your weight loss though. Otherwise most people would say that's really unhealthy. Again, this is just my opinion and my experience. I drop about 9lbs (which i keep off) every time i do my 12 days on and 2 days off. I've lost 21lbs total doing this. :)
  • tracferg
    tracferg Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    My first week I did a cleansing diet and lost 4 pounds. I had no caffeine, alcohol, red meat, grain products or dairy. Lots of chicken and veggies and fruit and I wasn't hungy but the caffeine headaches were brutal for the first 4 days! It gave me a good jump start and encouragement to keep going.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    For what reason?

Cleansing is worthless. Your body does that on its own.
    Fasting? Try IF www.leangains.com
  • HFunk84
    HFunk84 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Depends what you're looking to get out of it. The main goal of a cleanse or fast should not be primarily weight loss, rather you should realize that it does happen as a side effect but because the loss is so rapid weight lost is almost always re-gained to some extent. I undertook a fairly intensive cleanse in the fall that included no solid food and daily colon cleansing because of colon cancer in my family. It was a powerful experience and one I would recommend, but done in a supervised environment where I was provided with all of my juices/broths and vitamins daily to ensure that my body did not shut down and go into 'survival mode'. Also recognize that cleansing and fasting can be really overwhelming on an emotional level as your body literally releases all kinds of 'crap', so I would NOT recommend doing it if you are not able to to take time out of your life to do it.... But good luck if you do! It honestly was a good experience for me, and I'd do it again.
  • scottc561
    scottc561 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    I do a fast everyday 16-18 hours, I'm not a fan of long term fasts tho.
  • briscottcoach
    Options
    I have done a 3-day cleanse, used Shakeology, and enjoyed the after effects. I kept the weight off because it is not an all-liquid diet and was not nutrient deficient at the end of the day. It's not something that should be done frequently. Also, this should really be done to help kick start your body, not for weight loss.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I fast every night while I sleep. And my body does an excellent job of cleansing my insides. For the outside, soap and shampoo work splendidly.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I fast while I sleep. Then I wake up and have break-fast! As far as 'cleansing' goes.. what exactly are you trying to do that your body doesn't already do? If it's for weight loss all you're doing is pooping weight then you gain it back again when you eat. Maybe I'm just confused but I think it's silly.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    I fast every night while I sleep. And my body does an excellent job of cleansing my insides. For the outside, soap and shampoo work splendidly.
    lol we must think alike.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Gross - when I think Cleanse I just think of sitting on the toilet all day. That just seems nasty. Wouldn't you just gain it all back as soon as you ate after a fast or cleanse?
  • pitbullmama
    pitbullmama Posts: 454 Member
    Options
    (Sigh) I have to do a 12 hour fast for blood work and that's the extent of fasting for me!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    I've done fasts before. Mankind has been fasting for spiritual/physical reasons for thousands of years. Fasting has many benefits.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,659 Member
    Options
    :laugh: Dude you're hilarious...............

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    In my opinion, it really depends on for goals. I've done "really clean eating" for 7-10 days. And I find it a wonderful way to:

1. quickly break bad habits.
    2. give me some space for reflection about what I put into my body.
    3. gives me the space to experiment with buying different foods and trying different recipes.
    4. I can actually enjoy #2 and #3 precisely because I know its time limited.

Its kind of like a meditation retreat with your food habits. Hard...but you learn valuable things. If these are your goals, then any "clean" program will do. Feel free to make it up, in my opinion, because there is no "magic" involved. Depending on your needs, it may change. This last time around my plan was: only fruits, vegetables (including potatoes), uncooked fats, eggs, tempeh, rice, and organic/grass fed beef. And I allowed myself espresso/black coffee. Because I made it up and I like espresso.

However, if you think that "detoxing" has some magical properties that will "make you thinner, faster" or [insert magical property]...this can be a problem. Because its largely not true. And disappointment can fuel binging later.

Also, if you read most of the material specifically written by proponents of fasting...they are pretty up front: it should be done for spiritual or health reasons. Not primarily for weight loss. Because *it lowers your metabolism. And most people regain the weight they lost during a fast.* [Which, if you're telling a cancer patient or very ill person to fast for curative properties, this fact is stated in order to be reassuring that they won't waste away.] So, if what you're hoping for is to fast for quicker weight loss...the folks who are pushing fasting say "don't do it."

*Edit: I'm talking about FASTING. Not intermittent fasting. That's a more complicated subject that I'm not getting into.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    I don't believe in cleanses. They're a waste of time, money, and they make you uncomfortable.

Fasting though... that's a different story and it depends entirely on 1) the reason for the fast, 2) the length of time in which you're fasting.

I've seen some interesting stuff about intermittent fasting for weight loss... and I'm intrigued by the concept.

However, I've also seen people fast because they're purging- they're "punishing" themselves for over-indulgences (binges). I don't think the 'binge-purge' mentality is healthy at all.

And of course there are religious reasons to fast... I have and will continue to fast for religious reasons from time to time.

A short fast is not dangerous. A long fast... and... well...
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Intermittent Fasting is king!
  • quererespoder
    quererespoder Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    i'm trying intermittent fasting right now....basically , you eat all your cals , just in a specific time period of 8 hrs and eat nothing else during the rest of the day-night. apparently its good for fat loss , which is what i want. i've found it super easy. i dont have to think about food so much , until midday. and i thought i'd get much hungrier than i really do. like on friday i fasted for 16 hrs and when i went to eat , i was fine , not hungry at all. this coming from a girl who previously started feeling faint if she went for longer than 3 hrs without food. its too soon to tell the results..but its convenient and i like it so far :)