how do you get yourself to work out?

Options
13»

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    - Find something you enjoy doing - you don't have to jog or go to the gym, there are so many different ways to get your body moving.
    - schedule in your exercise, plan ahead (ie have your clothes, shoes, water etc ready to go), set an alarm to remind you and just do it!!!
    - find some music, audio books, podcasts etc that you like, keep them just for workout time so you have something to look forward to.

Most of all - don't sit ther ewaiting for motivation to kick you in the behind, just get moving whether you want to or not.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I hate cardio too. Even after about 6 weeks of working out 5-6 times a week, it is still a challenge getting myself to take the elevator downstairs to get on the elliptical crosstrainer in the gym in my condo (yes it's a huge burden for me to get all the way to the gym . . .). I actually don't mind the strength and core training, but hate the cardio. I even cried today while on that damned machine. Really pathetic i know. But i skipped it yesterday and am beating myself up about it today.

But i always, absolutely always feel better for having worked out.

Anyway, if you figure out some magical spell to make you love it, make sure you share it!!

Why do you have to work out on the elliptical? You can walk or run outside or dance in your lounge room and you will still get a workout.
  • JaclynnGail
    JaclynnGail Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    You have to build the habit. Lots of people hate working out, or don't want to do it...but if you want to make a change, you kind of have to. Just put it into your schedule the same as going to work, doing the grocery shopping, or whatever. Don't give yourself the option NOT to go...after a couple of weeks, it will just be natural. And definitely try different things...you are bound to find some sort of exercise you can enjoy. Good luck!
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I made the decision that I'd rather work out than be a lazy fat slob!
  • raso7174
    raso7174 Posts: 1
    Options
    You will NEVER regret a WORKOUT. You WILL regret NOT working out!

True. I have never left the gym thinking "THAT was a bad idea!"
  • jody664
    jody664 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    This was me when I started. I hated exercise and avoided it at all costs. But I realized that if I really am going to get fit this time and make a lasting lifestyle change, I was going to have to change the way I think. I STOPPED telling myself how much I hate exercise. I wouldn't even allow myself to go there. Everytime I had the thought, "Ugh, I have to go to the gym after work,' I would immediately stop myself and repeat several times, "Yay, I get to go play at the gym tonight." I had to fake it until I made it.

I also started setting goals for myself. When I started working out, I could barely make it 10 minutes on the elliptical. So I set my sites on 11 minutes and worked up to that. Then 12 minutes, then 15. Once I made it to 30, I tried 45 minutes. Then I decided to give the Arc Trainer a whirl. Now it is weights. Having a goal and reaching then exceeding it has helped get me excited about fitness. I KNOW I'm getting fitter, stronger, faster.

And now 2 months later, I truly do love to workout. It has become the favorite part of my day.
  • nutandbutter
    Options
    Find something you enjoy doing! Then you do it because you WANT to and not because you HAVE to :D

Completely agree! I hate cardio; the most cardio I get is playing with my kids. However, I love lifting so I love going to the gym to try for some new PR's!
  • lucylou9701
    lucylou9701 Posts: 194
    Options
    thinking about the body that i am going to have in the end.....
  • kmacgera
    kmacgera Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    I think of the good parts.

I like the way weight lifting makes me feel afterwards.
    I like hiking in the mountains in any season.
    I like kayaking, using my own arms to get where I want to go.
    I like wearing my dog or kids out.
    I like setting a goal and seeing it through (5k's, mini triathon in June).
    I like talking with friends while we're taking a hike, snowshoe, backpack.
    I like horseback riding, just love horses
    I like backpacking to remote areas, love the quiet

That's all I can think of right now.
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    "Just ****ing Do It" you will feel much better when you're done (:

Agreed!
  • caraaaa01
    caraaaa01 Posts: 11
    Options
    Pinterest!! So many inspirational pictures/quotes. Makes you wanna just get up and as Nike would say, JUST DO IT (:
  • menutrit
    menutrit Posts: 19
    Options
    I like to think about the more immediate effects of exercise like how happy I am going to be after it, how getting to the gym is going to make it easier to go the next time. Working out makes me so calm and peaceful and actually helps me eat healthier.
  • atjays
    atjays Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    "Just ****ing Do It" you will feel much better when you're done (:

Besides enjoying pushing myself, I have to agree with this quote lol. I never regret working out.
  • Elzecat
    Elzecat Posts: 2,916 Member
    Options
    I don't know how to post a picture, but if you google or go on facebook and look up this little guy:

Cody McCasland.

You will be inspired.

Trust me.
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I just think about how much I hate / hated being fat, unattractive, slow, weak, unhealthy and depressed. That usually does the trick for me. :)
  • CalJur
    CalJur Posts: 627 Member
    Options
    Publicly tell friends here on MFP and elsewhere that you are serious about working out and what your plans are to do so. For me public affirmation is often motivating to do so. In addition, you can eat more when you workout. FInally, if you get serious about working out the results speak for themselves and it becomes addictive. I don't feel right on the days I don't workout. It is part of the daily routine.
  • thinnerisstronger
    thinnerisstronger Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    It's impossible to not like working out. You might as well be saying you don't enjoy music. Just because you don't like running, doesn't mean you won't like kickboxing or rollerblading or yoga or WHATEVER. You can't just generalize and say you don't like any of it. Try new things. Find something you like. I guarantee that you will! Don't just give up because you can't get into one thing in particular. There is a million and one ways to be active. It's your workout. Saying you don't like it is just an excuse.

Now go find something you love!
  • msmileyface
    msmileyface Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    This is what changed my life.. I paid myself to workout, 5 bucks each time.. seems steep, but anything nonessential had to be bought using that money. Right down to nail polish.. decorations.. new clothes. It worked and now exercise is a natural habit in my life.