Confused/Concerned - Calorie Goal Low?

i'm 5"1' 109 lbs and MFP has calculated for me to eat 1200 cals/day to lose 0.5 lbs/wk (goal is 105). i'm concerned that 1200 cals is too low and i don't want to be losing muscle because i would like to tone up.

also, i'm not sure how to "tone up" - i think i should do less cardio and more strength training?

any help/suggestions is greatly appreciated! thanks!

EDIT: btw, my BMR is 1290

Replies

• angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Pilates is a great toning work out.
  • Pixie7210
    Pixie7210 Posts: 53 Member
    I am 5ft 3 and my calories intake is 1230. I find that if I make the right nurtrition choices it is easy to stick to, you also get extra calories for logging exercise. I do both cardio and weight training, the cardio is good for my general fitness and helps with the extra weight around my tummy and the weight training helps with toning and can help burn calories for up to 48 hours after training. My advise is talk to a professional trainer and because everyone is different adjust the training to suit yourself. Good luck!
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    IMO: Toning requires that you have enough calories/carbs/protein/good fats in your diet for recovery because you will be doing some strength training and tearing up muscle fibers. You may have to do some research and figure what's enough so that you have enough energy and you feel recovered every workout.

For toning: you can try circuit training for women (many vids on youtube on it) or check out the toning programs for women on bodybuilding.com that best fit your goals (http://www.bodybuilding.com/guides/)

Good luck!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    thanks everyone! i'm going to try and do some research on it and maybe talk to a trainer at my gym. i am definitely interested in circuit training and i might try pilates, too!