Push-ups

Hi everyone! I really want to be able to do regular push-ups. Unfortunately, I'm not quite at that point yet. I figure the more I do them, the stronger I will get. But I'm wondering is it better to attempt a regular push-up until you can do one, even if you can't complete it? Or is it better to do "girl" push-ups until you are strong enough to perform a regular? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!

Replies

• rcramer7
    rcramer7 Posts: 138 Member
    "girl" push-ups will get you to the point where you can do real push-ups. You can do some dips too. They will strengthen your arms, shoulders and chest.
  • mwyatt005
    mwyatt005 Posts: 21 Member
    "girl" pushups are a great way to start you need to build up the strength in your arms (especially triceps), chest, shoulders and core to do a proper pushup. Pushups don't just work the chest like commonly believed it is a great full body exercise when done correctly. Take your time don't get discouraged and you'll get there. You could also do other variants a good example I use to increase my pushup count is start with a regular position and do as many as I can, then once fatigued go wide grip once i hit fatigue again go super wide rest 1-2min then work my way back in. Do this in the girl pushup position for now and eventually you'll get to the regular pushup. Other options are the wall pushup as well. Hopefully that might help a little bit. Best of luck with your training.
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,317 Member
    Go to

http://hundredpushups.com/

It's a fun easy way to work up to being a pushup badass.
  • There's only one kind of push-up (that's my trainer talking). LOL. I would forget the girl push-ups if I were you. RELEASE YOUR INNER POWER!!!! Hee.

Sorry.

Anyhow, do some upper body strength training and core exercises, then try them again. I couldn't do ONE before. Then I could do 5. Now I am up to 22. It feels amazing and you will be SO PROUD when you accomplish it!!
  • mkbledsoe
    mkbledsoe Posts: 132
    do them anyway you want to, just keep doing them
  • EuroDriver12
    EuroDriver12 Posts: 805 Member
    "girl" push-ups will get you to the point where you can do real push-ups. You can do some dips too. They will strengthen your arms, shoulders and chest.

if she cant do push ups she deff cant do dips...

i would do really slow negatives and then do modified (aka girl) push ups to failure.. after about a week or two you should be able to do atleast 1-3 regular push ups.. at that time stop doing modified push ups and do as many regular pushups you can and your last one do negative again, rest for 1-2min and repeat about 5-6 sets... ull be able to do them np very quickly this way!
  • MoLove2025
    MoLove2025 Posts: 135 Member
    Go to

This looks like a great way to work my way up.....thanks for sharing
  • agthorn
    agthorn Posts: 1,844 Member
    Don't do girl pushups (on your knees). Do pushups on an incline. Start at the wall if that's all you can do at first. Lower the incline until you get all the way to the floor.
  • ster81
    ster81 Posts: 249
    Don't do girl pushups (on your knees). Do pushups on an incline. Start at the wall if that's all you can do at first. Lower the incline until you get all the way to the floor.
    I was just about to say this... Also practice, practice, practice... pick a spot in your house. Every time you walk in that area, do some push ups...
  • parvati
    parvati Posts: 432 Member
    Do as many pushups as you can, even if thats only 1 & then immediately start doimg modified oushups until failure. Doimg modified will get you stronger & you will be able to complete more pushups every week... Good luck! :)
  • rcramer7

if she cant do push ups she deff cant do dips...

i would do really slow negatives and then do modified (aka girl) push ups to failure.. after about a week or two you should be able to do atleast 1-3 regular push ups.. at that time stop doing modified push ups and do as many regular pushups you can and your last one do negative again, rest for 1-2min and repeat about 5-6 sets... ull be able to do them np very quickly this way!

She can do a dip in a squating position and use her legs to assist, She can do dips by using the kitchen counter.

What you suggest is for her to get in a real push-up position and do a negative...O.K. and then what roll around on the floor soshe can get back up and do another negative and then roll around on the floor so she can............how is she gonna do 5-6 sets lololo

The only thing different about a girl push-up is leverage wich modifies the weight you have push up.
  • kokaneesailor
    kokaneesailor Posts: 337 Member
    Go to

Good site, checked it out. Safe way to increase your upper body strength. I'm rusty and crusty so this looks like it will work for me. Thanks for the info.
  • staceywtucaz
    staceywtucaz Posts: 36 Member
    Bump
  • sweet110
    sweet110 Posts: 332 Member
    The only way to learn to do something, is to practice doing the thing itself. Walking is a great cardio exercise, but just because it looks awfully similar to running, it really doesn't prepare you for running, beyond general conditioning.

I grew up in the 80's and 90's when girls "only" did modified pushups. All those years of modified pushups never prepared me to do even one regular pushup. There's nothing wrong with modified pushups, its just that, like walking and running, they're really just two different exercises.

So if you want to train for a regular pushup, then you can either do a sets of 1-2 pushups and build up from there. Or, you can practice the static motions...sets of planks where you hold yourself "at the top" of the pushup, and sets where you hold yourself "at the bottom" of the pushup. I did the first option, starting from sets of *1* :smile: . But in a week, I had already progressed to sets of 5.

Twenty years of modified pushups got me 1 regular push. One week of practicing the thing I wanted to do, which was a military pushup, got me to 5.
  • rcramer7
    A lot of good ideas, specialy the incline and strenghtening your upper body with other exercises. That's a great way to get strong and get some push-ups done!

On the same note...women have less upper body strenght then men. Sorry, but it's a genetic fact.

I want to bench-press 500lbs but, I can't. I have to bench 200lbs and wait to get stronger. That's just the way it goes.

If I can't do a push-up I can't very well take my head off to lighten the load.

If I am overweight and/or have large breast the situation is even more difficult!

When I was a baby I used to crawl. I learned to walk and eventually learned to run. But, were comparing apples not oranges.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Make sure you have the correct form though!!!
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Go to

yes! this is how I managed to go from one to 30 push-ups in no time (one month, to be honest :wink: ). I'm almost 46 and this is the first time in my life that I can do more than 5. great plan! Don't do girl's variation, just go step by step with proper one and you'll succeed soon.
  • lisa28115
    lisa28115 Posts: 17,271 Member
    bump
  • LJgfg
    LJgfg Posts: 81 Member
    Thanks for the website tip - my dd had gotten this book from the library last summer and I started but then got distracted by a few "life events". I was thinking about checking it out again because it was so well organized and doable - now I can get started right away (no more excuses, and no late fees) :smile:
  • meshashesha2012
    meshashesha2012 Posts: 8,329 Member
    for me girl push ups werent any help to being able to do real push up. id advise doing straight leg from the beginning but start off doing them at different heights.

first against a wall, thenn your kitchen cabinet, then some steps, your couch, then the floor