Sleep and Soreness....

Options
ok, so i have been at it for 6 complete weeks now, going into week 7.
i was doing fine losing anywhere from 1-2.5pounds per week thus far until this week.

I have gained 2 pounds.... and am really disapointed by this!
I eat around 1500 calories, sometimes less, sometimes a little more.
at first i was working out like crazy burning anywhere from 800-1000 calories doing cardio only. last week i started doing P90X and a little weight training. still burning around 700 calories a day with weight training and a little cardio and eating the same.
I have been so sore since last week when i started running outside and doing P90X this was the first week i took 2 days off to rest when i normally only take one recovery day.

as of a few weeks ago, I cant sleep more than 4 hours at a time

my diet has been good, sodium is always under, and i only eat back about half my calories and everything was working until this last week only to find that i have gained 2 pounds.

so my question is, can the lack of sleep have something to do with the weight? and can the soreness have anything to do with it as well?

i didnt want to start doing weights bc of this, because i wanted to lose all the weight first then get toned because i know that i could have gained muscle mass but still, i need to see the numbers on the scale go down...

Replies

• MrsSherrill
    Options
    ok, so not sure why no one is replying to this... maybe only my friends can see it or something.
    oh well, anyways ....

if anyone is reading this and would like some sort of answer .....

http://bankshealth.wordpress.com/2011/06/27/weight-gain-with-new-exercise-programs/

THANK GOD i found this!! makes me feel a little better! =)
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    lack of sleep will totally have an effect on both of your problems, the weight and soreness. your body uses the sleep time to rest, recoup and heal. without enough sleep your body will simply not function properly.

sorry no one answered you earlier :(
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    Thank you =)
  • lalalawen
    Options
    You might have your settings so only your friends can see your stuff? I dunno lol I'm still working out the settings for this. Glad you found an answer though!!! Gah my scale hasn't been doing anything consistently so I still have no idea if I'm doing anything right or wrong, so I def. didn't have the answer. Either way girl, just keep working at it. You are doing great!!!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    According to this article at least, sore muscles do retain more water.
    You feel great! You cleaned up your diet, renewed your gym membership and knocked out your first couple of killer workouts. Never mind that you're so sore you can hardly climb on the scale. It's worth it just to see the numbers go...up?! Before you throw up your hands in despair and break out a pint of Ben and Jerry's, take a deep breath and relax. It's just a little water retention caused by DOMS [Delayed Onset Muscle Soreness] . . . .

Read more: http://www.livestrong.com/article/393797-water-retention-after-resistance-training
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    If you are adding weight training then your muscles are going to be sore...and to repair and restore your body will shuttle water to your muscles ...

You may see a slow down on the scale for a bit - but don't worry about that...you can get a lot leaner and toner without seeing much difference on the scale...- at this point you might be better off using a pair of pants that might be a little tight right now as a gauge...it could be that it may take say a month to loose a few lbs...but the fit of the pants are so much better even though you have only lost a few lbs
  • MrsSherrill
    Options
    Ok, thats what i thought (water weight) but just needed more solid understanding . Thanks so much guys =)