Eating Clean

Options
hope25
hope25 Posts: 188 Member
What does eating clean look like? Can some one give me some examples of what eating clean would include.

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    You'll get as many opinions as there are people here, but to ME, clean eating means you are not eating processed food. Some people see this as INCLUDING white sugar, flour, etc. Other see it as "if it is homemade, it can contain those foods." I admittedly don't eat "CLEAN", so....
  • Lukazetta
    Lukazetta Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    Clean eating (for me):

Minimal trans fats/fast digesting carbs/fast foods/junk foods/soda/anything with high sugar or sodium/(pretty much anything that's boxed or packaged at the grocery store)

So, lots of fruits/veggies, lean meats/slow digestive carbs with fiber/(and the fresher the better)
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Eating clean for me, I rince my fruit & veg under the tap before eating. Not eating things that have fallen on the floor (unless I have dusted them off and picked out the fuzz) :laugh: :wink:

In all seriousness though, don't get too caught up in this stuff. Just make sure your diet consists of *mainly* natural foods like vegetables, lean meats, beans, fruits etc. Just eat well most of the time, have a moderate caloric defecit, and hit decent proportions of your macro nutrients - you will succeed. All the rest, in my opinion, is nice but not necessary for success.
  • 0BigLouie0
    Options
    To me, "eating clean" means organic, whole foods. No processed food or artificial anything.
  • usedasbrandnew
    usedasbrandnew Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I try to eat pretty clean, but today I had a sausage... it was organic, but I was horrified by the amount of sodium.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 379 Member
    Options
    Check out the books by Tosca Reno - "The Eat Clean Diet".

Basically, it's lean proteins (chicken, salmon, turkey, tuna), green vegetables, some fruit, small amounts of grains (mainly oatmeal and brown rice), fats (limited amounts of nuts, avocado, coconut oil).

No dairy, no processed foods, no artificial sweeteners, sodas, juice, fast food, candy, cookies, crackers, etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Agreed - The Eat Clean Diet by Tosca Reno has tons of great info. Basically nothing out of a box! I need to get back to eating more Clean and read her book again.
  • melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    We all define it differently, but for me eating clean means real foods with either identifiable ingredients or fresh foods like meat/veg/fruit. I consider myself a clean eater, though some would disagree since I use a teaspoon of sugar every day in my coffee. I don't drink soda, avoid trans fats, artificial colors and preservatives, and generally avoid prepackaged foods.

Check out my today's diary for an example- everything I eat for the most part is homemade (even the bread) and my snacks are things like almonds, yogurt (with minimal ingredients- milk and cultures, not Yoplait type stuff with fillers and artificial flavors).
  • divalivious
    divalivious Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I dont follow the Eat Clean diet religiously but for me its to stay out of the middle aisles of the grocery store as much as possible. To only buy fresh foods. When I do buy something boxed I try to buy something that I am able to read the ingredients without a science degree.

I have tried quite a few recipes off her site and say most the ones I have tried have been great. www.eatcleandiet.com is the site.
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    There really isn't a proper definition for clean eating because everyone has there own definition for clean eating.

To me, I don't really say I'm going to have a clean day or whatever. I just plan my meals and eat them lol. Just try to stay within your calorie goal and macro goals, don't fill up on junk food and tons of complex sugars and carbs. Plenty of water I guess.
  • momtokgo
    momtokgo Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    Eating clean to me means eating foods in their natural form, not horribly processed. A chicken breast vs chicken nuggets. Or a slice of cheddar vs a processed cheese slice. I also take it to mean natural sweeteners instead of refined sugars, or artificial sweeteners, and whole wheat in place of white.