Is it true that you gain muscle first and THEN the weightlos

Options

Replies

• sschoolfield
    Options
    I lost weight first and am now begining to focus more on toning and gaining muscle while I work on losing some more fat. Your results will depend on just how hard you are working out, what you are eating, etc. Don't focus too much on the scale, instead look for other ways to measure your success such as taking body measurements or taking pics every now and then and comparing them back to earlier shots. Keep up the good work and measurable success will come. Good luck.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is DENSER than fat.
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSGvoXn_m1Y_40bqRhj4coiEWKEQrjOjBKp_xtbi_Bz8QmmfZrvYA
    I think most people will understand "muscle weighs more than fat" to mean "a sample of muscle will be heavier than a sample of fat of the same volume." While the first phrase is technically incorrect, it's a lot less cumbersome than the second and nearly everyone will understand the writer's intent.
    A little unnecessary to correct semantics when the meaning is so easily understood, don't you think?

Personally, I kind of like the notion that nothing can ever weigh more than anything else. It makes me wonder why bother losing weight since a pound of me weighs the same as a pound of Michael Phelps.
  • Chester_1
    Chester_1 Posts: 26
    Options
    Personally, I kind of like the notion that nothing can ever weigh more than anything else. It makes me wonder why bother losing weight since a pound of me weighs the same as a pound of Michael Phelps.
    I like the way you think!
  • jesusHchris
    jesusHchris Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    There will be a million different opinions on this, especially the "can you build muscle and burn fat at the same time" subject...

I recommend researching all the viewpoints. This book is a great source of information:

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Muscle-Authoritative-Building/dp/1579547699/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332134471&sr=1-1
  • tyrog11
    tyrog11 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Some great answers here so I am just chipping in.... I love that someone defined "weight loss" is fat loss. You can build muscle and lose no fat. They are two completely different parts of your body. Muscle doesn't "eat" the fat cells. Metabolism does. If you are eating right and your body needs more calories than you are providing it with your food consumption, your metabolism will take what is stored in the fat cells (like stored carbohydrates used for energy). One of the most frustrating parts of losing "weight" is when you are working out and watching the scale and not seeing the number results. Unless you are prepared for that, you should do what another poster suggested and lose the fat first, then work on building the muscle. That's how I did it. I watched the 90+ pounds melt off in 4 months with NO exercise...THEN (meaning now) I turned to exercise and muscle building combined with a healthy food lifestyle. The scale really doesn't move any more but I don't care because I can see the muscle building and see my running times improve day after day/week after week. If you are going to do both at the same time (lose fat and build muscle) throw the scale in the closet and get a tape measure. I saw a post earlier today that went something like...You lose fat in the kitchen and build muscle in the gym.
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    A little unnecessary to correct semantics when the meaning is so easily understood, don't you think?

Are you crazy? Correcting semantics, grammar, and spelling is probably the most funnest thing there is to do on the Internet. :)
  • downsizinghoss
    downsizinghoss Posts: 1,035 Member
    Options

Are you crazy? Correcting semantics, grammar, and spelling is probably the most funnest thing there is to do on the Internet. :)

I corrected a semantic once. It really pissed him off.
  • vanishingirl77
    Options

Most funnest. Haha!
  • aquasw16
    aquasw16 Posts: 342 Member
    Options
    Muscle does NOT weigh more than fat. A pound is a pound. Muscle is DENSER than fat.

But essentially that does mean that muscle weighs more than fat. If you have the same size of muscle and fat, the muscle will weigh more (yes because it is more dense, but it still weighs more) :)
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options

But essentially that does mean that muscle weighs more than fat. If you have the same size of muscle and fat, the muscle will weigh more (yes because it is more dense, but it still weighs more) :)
    Stop making sense! It's funny that the picture posted which is often used to show that muscle and fat don't weigh the same is used to state the opposite.
  • kris523sydney
    Options
    bump
  • petrocoetsee
    petrocoetsee Posts: 829 Member
    Options
    bump
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,682 Member
    Options
    Well - it's sort of true. The reality is that you lose fat by building lean muscle. So, if you are strength training and building the muscle, as the muscle gets stronger, you should see better results on the scale. For cardio, although great for your heart and indurance, it burns calories (not fat).

Remember, it IS true that muscle weights more than fat.

So, the bottom line is, keep doing what you are doing and you will eventually see the results on the scale that you see in the mirror!

GREAT JOB!
    You lose fat when in calorie deficit and you retain lean muscle.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    There will be a million different opinions on this, especially the "can you build muscle and burn fat at the same time" subject...

I recommend researching all the viewpoints. This book is a great source of information:

http://www.amazon.com/Mens-Health-Muscle-Authoritative-Building/dp/1579547699/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1332134471&sr=1-1
    There's opinions, then there's science. The science is that the probability of building muscle on a calorie deficit in the average person is pretty nil.

IDEA Fitness member
  • jesusHchris
    Options
    The science is that the probability of building muscle on a calorie deficit in the average person is pretty nil.

I completely agree, hence the bulking and cutting phases. I still think it is good to research different viewpoints. Today's proven science is often debunked and laughed at in the future.

I do think it is possible to do both when someone is first getting started, though. There are some quick and easy muscle gains in the beginning, until you reach a bit of a wall and need to push yourself harder and stuff yourself fuller. I have experienced this personally.
  • ninerbuff
    Options

I completely agree, hence the bulking and cutting phases. I still think it is good to research different viewpoints. Today's proven science is often debunked and laughed at in the future.
    It's good to see peer reviewed studies and not pseudoscience. Most of the "myths" and exaggerated claims of weight gain, loss, muscle building, fat burning, etc. come from merchants and salespeople trying to sell their ideas to the desperate and naive. And when anecdotal testimony appears, they use it as proof to substantiate their claims. This is why the weight loss business is a trillion dollar a year business. People are suckered into believing that some of these programs are legit.
    But yes, do ACTUAL research which means looking at actual Journals of Medicine, Sport, Nutrition, Metabolism, etc. and see if there is any conflicting evidence.

IDEA Fitness member
  • memega
    memega Posts: 73
    Options
    I've been doing cardio for a month and consistently reducing weight every week. However the very first week I started weight training, my scale took a sharp u-turn and it showed a gain of 1.3kg I was the least impressed. Not only was I doing an hour plus cardio everyday, I just added additional alternate days of fairly intense weight training for my ability. But a quick search across various fitness forums ensured me that the momentary spike in weight was water retention and swelling etc. Not to mention the DOMS pain that followed! Anyways, 3 weeks into weight training and I'm back to my losing steak :smile:

http://scoobysworkshop.com/gain-muscle-lose-fat/

This link sort of attempts to simplify and explain the fat loss vs. muscle gain situation.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The science is that the probability of building muscle on a calorie deficit in the average person is pretty nil.

I do think it is possible to do both when someone is first getting started, though. There are some quick and easy muscle gains in the beginning, until you reach a bit of a wall and need to push yourself harder and stuff yourself fuller. I have experienced this personally.

And yet, it is possible, if you select not to lose too much.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/447514-athletes-can-gain-muscle-while-losing-fat-on-deficit-diet

It's much easier to give a simple exception considering the audience we are talking about here in context.

You can lose fat and gain muscle on a calorie deficit diet with the exception if you are already trim and fit and lifting, or you eat under your BMR constantly.
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump for later
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options
    No.

Most likely water retention from exercising. It takes a lot of time, and a lot of calories to put on pounds of muscle. It doesn't happen by accident, or by mistake. You can't build muscle without knowing it.

People that have muscular builds spend years working hard to look like they do, it doesn't happen by accident in a week while you're trying to lose weight. It's just water. Eventually it will go away once your body adjusts to the exercise.

In the case mentioned above, I guess I am just lucky! I have lost 5 inches in my waist and only two pounds. Now to give credit to what the above poster is saying I did lose 10 lbs right of the bat, first week of P90X but then I gained eight back. So...in my experience you can Weigh more but have it be muscle...it must be that way because I only lost 2 lbs in three weeks but also got rid of Five inches. My body just seems to be agreeing that muscle does weigh more than fat and I sure won't be correcting it! HA LOL My hips, legs and thighs can keep right on beliveing muscle weighs more than fat because it's working well for me. :wink: :wink: :happy: :happy:
    edited for spelling :)