Beginners work out

Options
Ls_505
Ls_505 Posts: 14 Member
Hi. Does anyone have any tips or suggestions for a beginner? I've worked out in the past but ive never really followed a work out routine. When i talked to my sister about my weight loss goal she suggested to start off doing a lot of cardio work outs before doing strength work outs. Should I be doing this?

I've tried looking up info online but not really finding anything. I've started walking more and even downloaded that app c25k that every one is talking about so thats a start i guess.

anyway, any suggestions or guidance would be greatly appreaciated=)

Replies

• ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    Im no expert by any means, But have followed a workout routine a couple times before and I follow it now and Ive noticed the weight comes off quicker.

I do a good mix of Cardio and Strength.

This is my way of working out.....I usually will warm up for 3-5 minutes by doing jumping jacks, stretchnig my muscles in my arms and legs but not doing just a stretch, the stretches I use to warm up are stretches with movement. Example: squating leaning side to side back and forth.

Then I begin my workout which usually goes like this...

20-30 minutes of cardio
    strength training my upper body and/or lower body (upper or lower alone I do about 3 different machines or exercises with weights sets of 20 reps a piece like going in a line then going back through the same line a second time)
    15-20 minutes of cardio
    strength training lower body and/or upper body (upper or lower alone I do about 3 different machines or exercises with weights sets of 20 reps a piece like going in a line then going back through the same line a second time)
    15-20 minutes of cardio
    strength training all over body
    End off with some form of cardio for 15-20 minutes
    Then onto 5-10 minutes of static stretches (no movement stretches)

And so on and so forth. Im usually in the gym for 90mins to 2 hours. Thats a lot, yes but this is what I do, the reason I can do this is because Im having fun switching it up constantly between cardio and strength and if Im having off day, as long as Imake it an hour Im ok with myself.

For a beginner that has never had a routine I would chop this in half but I must say my results from past journeys have showed from doing it this way..

Hope that helped in some way :D
  • swellen
    swellen Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Jillian Michaels has a couple of beginner workout DVDs - they're called 'Frontside' and 'Backside' and you can buy them as a set. They're pretty good.
  • Ls_505
    Ls_505 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Thank you. Very helpful information. Good starting point for a routine and I will definitely look into those DVDs. I love Jillian Michaels
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    I think you should not hesitate to start strength training. I am a little biased though because lifting is my religion.
  • ruby_red_rose
    ruby_red_rose Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Hi there,

It is good to do a mix of cardio and strength.

I am not a professional, but this is what works for me:
    - 5 days of cardio a week (1 hour every day - at least 3 zumba, and other 2: ellptical)
    - 2 day of strength training a week (I use free weights and do squats, lunges, sideways lunges, overhead press, bicep curls, planks, one legged bridge, crunches, reverse crunches, twist crunches, calf raises)
    - 10,000 steps (approximately 4.5 miles of walking) every single day

Works for me :)
  • 04SS
    04SS Posts: 6
    Options
    There's a huge misconception about strength training for women. Most women fear doing weights because they think they're going to look like a dude with a hulk like body. Definitely not the case unless that's what the intended results were supposed to be. Women simply do not have enough testosterone in their bodies to build muscle that rapidly. When you use weights in strength training on a continued basis your muscles develope (slowly) causing your body to burn calories day AND night. Doing cardio exercises are excellent in helping fat loss, but only when you're actually doing the work whereas lean muscle is working around the clock for you.

If you want to discuss this further just send me a MFP Friends Request and I'll be more than happy to chat :)

Jason
  • 04SS
    Options
    Im no expert by any means, But have followed a workout routine a couple times before and I follow it now and Ive noticed the weight comes off quicker.

I do a good mix of Cardio and Strength.

This is my way of working out.....I usually will warm up for 3-5 minutes by doing jumping jacks, stretchnig my muscles in my arms and legs but not doing just a stretch, the stretches I use to warm up are stretches with movement. Example: squating leaning side to side back and forth.

Then I begin my workout which usually goes like this...

20-30 minutes of cardio
    strength training my upper body and/or lower body (upper or lower alone I do about 3 different machines or exercises with weights sets of 20 reps a piece like going in a line then going back through the same line a second time)
    15-20 minutes of cardio
    strength training lower body and/or upper body (upper or lower alone I do about 3 different machines or exercises with weights sets of 20 reps a piece like going in a line then going back through the same line a second time)
    15-20 minutes of cardio
    strength training all over body
    End off with some form of cardio for 15-20 minutes
    Then onto 5-10 minutes of static stretches (no movement stretches)

And so on and so forth. Im usually in the gym for 90mins to 2 hours. Thats a lot, yes but this is what I do, the reason I can do this is because Im having fun switching it up constantly between cardio and strength and if Im having off day, as long as Imake it an hour Im ok with myself.

For a beginner that has never had a routine I would chop this in half but I must say my results from past journeys have showed from doing it this way..

Hope that helped in some way :D

Just curious... Are you under the guidance of a coach or physical trainer? Your training times are overloaded. Basically you're spending too much time working out. Overtraining your body will slow your results down to a snail's pace. 60 minutes in the gym should be the max gym time, but I know a lot of the time those places are crowded and its hard to get in and out. Your body like everyone else's body needs rest and time to recoup. Just a thought... Talk to you soon :)
  • Sh3aj21
    Sh3aj21 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Have you ever heard of Leslie Sansone? Well, her Walk Away the Pounds for Abs 3 workouts on 1 DVD really works if you follow a very good diet or just even leaving soda's and junk food along. I guarantee you'll loss inches before you start to loss weight.
  • 04SS
    Options
    Bump...
  • ThaRealNicki
    ThaRealNicki Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    No Im not under any guidence. I just like to do I dont really realize how long Im in the gym till Im leaving (you only get 2 hours free parking) soooo yeah I actually lose a pound to a pound and a half a day but I do rest while working out I dont go back to back to back I take little breaks between everything. I dont have a job and nothing else to do so why not, this also isnt my ALL the time workout this is what I aim for for the most part. When I did a very similar routine last year I lost 18lbs in 16 days I know to most people that seems very quick but for me I feel ok right now doing it this way