Baking and cooking substitutions?

Options
Hi all :smile:
I've been searching some new healthy recipes to try out and have noticed that, even though they are labeled healthy, they still are high in sugars and other things.
What do you all use for healthy substitutions?

Replies

• Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I've tried a bunch of different things and I usually come to the same conclusion - I would rather follow the original recipe and just eat a smaller portion of the real thing.
    Often though you can get away with reducing the amount of sugar in recipes, or substituting extra egg whites instead of whole eggs, or replace some white flour with wholemeal or another grain like oats.
    I also look for recipes that have some fruit and veggies in them (muffins etc) so they have a bit more nutritional value.
  • firesoforion
    firesoforion Posts: 1,017 Member
    Options
    My number one thing I like to see substituted in a recipe is flour for something else. I've seen quite a few with beans substituting for the flour and it's just great, makes them so much healthier (I think you can also do it with ground up oats?). I tried it a couple times and it works well, too. I'd like to do a bit more experimenting with it but that's number one. I don't like to substitute sugar except for either fruit or other natural sweeteners, no artificial sugars if I can help it.
  • eriemer
    eriemer Posts: 197
    Options
    I like switching oil with applesauce,
    using 1/2 all purpose flour/then 1/2 whole wheat flour or soy flour
    HATE SPENDA- it's gross! And smells chemically when it's baked

Cake mix from a box, add only one can of diet soda and beat and bake according to pkg. Best Cake ever! (diet cherry coke and chocolate cake) (white and diet sprite) (diet rootbeer and red velvet) (diet orange and carrot cake) etc

Fat free milk
    Egg whites
    Fat free/low fat cheese
    Truvia
    Panko bread crumbs for regular
    Country Crock for butter
    Ronzoni Smart Taste Pasta (cannot live without)
    Frozen veges/fresh over canned
    Vege meat crumbles for ground beef
    Lean ground chicken or Turkey sausage for ground beef
    Fat Free sour cream
    Fat Free greek yogurt
    Cut sugar in half and use dark brown sugar (great for breads and muffins)

Just to name a few.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Found this on sugarfit

Whole milk (one cup) One cup fat-free or nonfat milk plus one tablespoon of unsaturated oil like safflower or canola
    Heavy cream (one cup) One cup evaporated skim milk, or one cup cup half and half
    Sour cream Low-fat Greek yogurt
    Cream cheese Four tablespoons margarine blended with one cup dry low-fat cottage cheese; add a small amount of fat-free milk if needed
    Butter (one tablespoon) One tablespoon polyunsaturated margarine or 3/4 tablespoon polyunsaturated oil like safflower oil
    Shortening (one cup) Two sticks polyunsaturated margarine like original Earth Balance or Smart Balance
    One Egg One egg white plus two teaspoons of unsaturated oil (canola or safflower) or commercially made, cholesterol-free egg substitute
    Unsweetened baking chocolate (one ounce) Three tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or carob powder plus one tablespoon polyunsaturated oil (like safflower or corn oil) or margarine. Carob is sweeter than cocoa, so reduce sugar in recipe by 1/4