Plateau

Options
I hate hitting plateaus...grrrrr! Stuck at 18 lbs off and it has been a week and not budged. I read that you shouldn't go below a certain amount of calories or your metabolism will slow way down to preserve the amount you are getting..kinda like a hibernation. Any health/ diet experts care to chime in on this. I am at 1350 a day allowance. I am supposed to lose 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a week..Which I was losing that right up until this last week . Should I lower my calories more or do you think once I start excercising it will burn more and the lbs will start coming off again? Up until not I did not incorporate excercise in ( ordered a new treadmill, it came and it does not work..grrr..waiting fro a part)

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    Without having more information (current weight, weight loss goal, height, etc.) I would say you are not in a plateau. Weight loss is not linear and you will not lose X amount every week. After 3-4 weeks of no loss, I'd call it a plateau. Right now, it is just normal if it has only been a week. Sit tight, be patient, then reevaluate what you are doing if this goes on for a couple of weeks.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I'd agree, a week is not a plateau, just a normal variation. Don't stress about it, and don't lower your calories - just keep going as you are and give it time.
    If you want a guide for calories - check your BMR and don't eat below that.
    You don't have to wait for your treadmill - walk outside (if you can) or walk on the spot inside or dance or find an online workout to keep you going till your treadmill is fixed.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    I'd suggest eating more calories - change your goals to lose 1lb a week for a few weeks. Exercise will definitely help boost your metabolism. And yes, start walking outside right now, no parts required!
  • teesams21
    teesams21 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks all...I guess I just got frustrated with my "stall" for the last week and being so faithful wiht the allowance and figured it was the beginning of a plateau. I have gone out an walked here and there and even played some basketball with the kids. I know everybit helps. It was all coming off so nicely without excercise and then a sudden stand still. I was just hoping wiht the additional excercise it would kick it up a notch from what I was already losing. Thanks again!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Without having more information (current weight, weight loss goal, height, etc.) I would say you are not in a plateau. Weight loss is not linear and you will not lose X amount every week. After 3-4 weeks of no loss, I'd call it a plateau. Right now, it is just normal if it has only been a week. Sit tight, be patient, then reevaluate what you are doing if this goes on for a couple of weeks.

^ This. Don't change a thing yet.
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    I've been dieting and losing weight for a year now.
    My body fluctuates 5lbs a day.
    Stay off the scale and measure up!
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Sounds like a stall, not really a plateau... just be patient like others have said :flowerforyou:
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    I hate hitting plateaus...grrrrr! Stuck at 18 lbs off and it has been a week and not budged. I read that you shouldn't go below a certain amount of calories or your metabolism will slow way down to preserve the amount you are getting..kinda like a hibernation. Any health/ diet experts care to chime in on this. I am at 1350 a day allowance. I am supposed to lose 1 1/2 to 2 lbs a week..Which I was losing that right up until this last week . Should I lower my calories more or do you think once I start excercising it will burn more and the lbs will start coming off again? Up until not I did not incorporate excercise in ( ordered a new treadmill, it came and it does not work..grrr..waiting fro a part)
    A plateau is 6 or more weeks of no weight loss after consistently being in calorie deficit. Anything less is a stall. If you're not exercising, then your metabolism is catching up since weight loss without exercise slows metabolism down much more quickly. And you don't need the treadmill to be able to just increase physical activity. Jumping jacks (even low impact versions) can be done. Walking outside or even in a mall can be done.

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition
  • teesams21
    teesams21 Posts: 20
    Options
    Thanks again everyone for your input and support and knowledge!!!