Carrying calories over......

Options
Hi all, Im brand new, just joined today. Feeling v motiavted at mo! Need to loose 21lbs and have luved reading other peoples success stories on here.
Just wondered if anyone knows if you have to eat all your caloroes in same day (including ones earned from exercise) or if you can carry them over, to have a meal out at weekend for example?
Also, should you eat the calories you earn from exercise or will byou looe more weight by not eating them??????
Thank you

Replies

• kaylamayers
    kaylamayers Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    I usually burn 400-500 calories at the gym Monday through Friday and on those days, I try to only eat 1300 cals, and on the weekend when I don't work out, I try to only eat 1200. Sometimes I'll go a little over, but mostly I try and stay in that area.
  • BerryH
    BerryH Posts: 4,698 Member
    Options
    HI and welcome! There's no problem at all in carrying calories over, it's your intake over time that counts. On long runs I can burn 1800 calories and I'll definitely save some for the next day when I know I'll be hungry again!

MFP is designed so you eat back your exercise calories and you'll still be at the correct deficit to lose your target amount each week. If you're worried there's a margin of error, eat a little less than 100%. But if you do eat them you'll not feel hungry, your weight loss will be steady and sustainable and you'll have the strength and energy you need to get the most out of your next workout.
  • militarydreams
    militarydreams Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yep don't worry too much about daily calories, think of it more as a sliding average over about a week. Your body has no clue what's going on really and it takes a lot longer to screw up your metabolism than most people think, one calorie spike and it'll be all good again.

Oh as for eating back your exercise calories, people have different views but MFP is built around the idea that you should. I personally do and love it, that tastey snack often keeps me going through tough cardio or a nice protein shake before and after strength to help recovery. I understand that even some trainers say otherwise though.