Tips to Begin Lifting?

Options
Lifting heavy weights I mean.

Hi! I'm a little ahead of myself because I'm not planning to join the gym until fall. May through August I only have half hour lunch breaks but then in September, I will be back to having an hour. So that's why I am waiting. I don't want to pay all summer knowing I won't be able to make it. Evenings aren't an option because my husband and I work opposite shifts.

Now I only exercise at home. I usually do workout DVDs a few days per week and my exercise bike once or twice per week. We don't have the space or money for heavy weights in our home. My hope is to join the gym in September and start heavy lifting maybe 3 days per week. I'd probably have about 45 minutes. I'd like to make use of the pool at the gym sometimes too.

I was wondering if anyone would be willing to share some tips for beginners? The gym offers 1 free orientation session. Can I expect to get enough of a start from that, or do you think I will need to pay for more training time? Do you think I should read NROLFW?

I have never used free weights before, other than my home hand weights. :wink: Right now, I still want to lose about 20 lbs, but my main focus will be toning. I might even be to my goal weight by then! I won't mind to gain. I know I'll be playing around with my calories a lot. Oh, and I'm definitely planning to still exercise at home a few days per week too.

PS. I have definitely been inspired by some of the ladies on here that lift <3

ETA-- Now I mostly do Jillian Michaels workouts (No More Trouble Zones, Ripped in 30, Body Revolution) and I have a kickboxing workout I love too. Exercise bike about once per week and rollerblading about once per week too. I know I'm a lot stronger now than I was a year ago but I want to build some more muscle. :-)

Replies

• Fit_and_Healthy
    Options
    You don't beed a gym or weights to get a good workout in, unless you are looking for major muscle gain. Google calisthenics for great exercises that only involve your body.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    If you're wanting to lift heavy, NROL4W is definitely worth reading. I'd read it before the gym's orientation session, and see if you can't get some form pointers on the specific exercises in the book. Personally, I wouldn't mess around with too much toning stuff. You're just not likely to get the results you're expecting (and this is coming from a workout DVD junkie).

To start out at home, you might do better with a body weight strength routine that doesn't require a whole lot of equipment. Here's one example: http://nerdfitness.com/blog/2009/12/09/beginner-body-weight-workout-burn-fat-build-muscle/, but there are others out there.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    If you want to lift like a lot of the "girls" on here, definitely read NROL4W. And join the gym. Make sure they have plenty of free weights and have olympic bars (free-weight barbells) to use with those workouts. My gym (planet fitness) sucks in both of these areas. However, I'm not starting my lifting routine yet, I'm still training for my 5k in May. Just doing enough lifting to not lose muscle. Focus on compound movements for now, as they work the most muscles (rows, squats, lunges, shoulder presses, etc).
  • NovemberJune
    NovemberJune Posts: 2,525 Member
    Options

I should have mentioned that I mostly do Jillian Michaels workouts currently. I'm looking to the heavy lifting to get toned and get some more muscles! :bigsmile:
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    If you want to lift like a lot of the "girls" on here, definitely read NROL4W. And join the gym. Make sure they have plenty of free weights and have olympic bars (free-weight barbells) to use with those workouts. My gym (planet fitness) sucks in both of these areas. However, I'm not starting my lifting routine yet, I'm still training for my 5k in May. Just doing enough lifting to not lose muscle. Focus on compound movements for now, as they work the most muscles (rows, squats, lunges, shoulder presses, etc).

It's a university gym so I'm guessing they will have lots of good stuff :)
    That doesn't surprise me about Planet Fitness, considering their commercials :\
  • AJ_MotherRunner
    AJ_MotherRunner Posts: 175 Member
    Options
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    It's all about form. Start slow. Start light. Get your form down.
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    I have never read that site but I hear good things about it. Your best bet to start is to take it slow. Do not lift more than you can and always work your way up.

I lift all the time but have been doing it for years. I suggest to read the site and learn the proper techniques of lifting so you do NOT injure yourself.

Also, I would keep a journal of what you lifted each day you do so. Then you can make goals for yourself as well as know what you are capable of -- this way each month you can up you sessions.

Split your workouts up into something such as upper back shoulders and triceps one day then lower leg workouts and so on.
  • NovemberJune
    Options
    Thanks! I am checking out the group and the Jamie Eason stuff too :)
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    I'm assuming the orientation isn't a proper pt session. Figure out what workout program you're going to do and start checking youtube and such for videos on how to do the exercise properly (you can also post on here if you have specific questions, lots of folks have a great deal of expertise in this area). Figure out the key points you'll need to be keeping track of (for example, on squats: bar placement, getting to parallel, pushing with the heels, etc), that way when you get to the gym, you know what to be on the lookout for. If you have a phone with a kickstand and a camcorder, taping yourself doing the workout is a great way to critique yourself. Another option is going with somebody and asking them to check you for form. Additionally if you have a chance, getting a personal trainer for a few sessions to check your form is certainly not a bad thing.