For the Runners - anyone run in the rain?

Options
There's a chance of precip. this afternoon. I've finally begun running outside rather on the TM and LOVE it. But I've never run in the rain before.

I have a windbreaker with a hood. I can wear that. And a hat. What else do you runners wear when you're running in the rain? Any other tips? I'll take anything!

Replies

• 1Corinthians13
    1Corinthians13 Posts: 5,296 Member
    Options
    There's a chance of precip. this afternoon. I've finally begun running outside rather on the TM and LOVE it. But I've never run in the rain before.

I have a windbreaker with a hood. I can wear that. And a hat. What else do you runners wear when you're running in the rain? Any other tips? I'll take anything!
  • msamson31
    msamson31 Posts: 45
    Options
    good socks. Nothing worse than wet socks and friction!
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    that's dedication! when the weather is crappy (luckily for me I live in sunny California, so not that often) I go to the gym and run on the treadmill. But I'm a big baby about being cold.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    that's dedication! when the weather is crappy (luckily for me I live in sunny California, so not that often) I go to the gym and run on the treadmill. But I'm a big baby about being cold.

I normally am too, but I'm determined to get over it this year and run in all types of weather.

The right socks...hmmm...what kind of socks would those be?
  • mizzoucheer
    mizzoucheer Posts: 23
    Options
    Running in the rain is my fav! I actually don't do anything different other than make sure I don't have on white! LOL! It is great, and keeps you cooled off.
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Running in the rain is my fav! I actually don't do anything different other than make sure I don't have on white! LOL! It is great, and keeps you cooled off.

Great! Thanks! That's exactly the kind of motivation I need! So you don't even wear a jacket or anything?
  • Shannon023
    Shannon023 Posts: 14,529 Member
    Options
    I wear a hooded windbreaker too when it's rainy. :smile:

Don't chance it if there's lightning though. :flowerforyou:
  • neecey
    neecey Posts: 16
    Options
    I live near Seattle so running in rain is almost a daily occurance for me - LOL - In the summer we tend to go to the TM because it's "too hot" :wink:
    so yes, a windbreaker with a hood is nice and good socks. I like to wear a headband to keep my ears warm (it keeps my headset for my ipod on nicely too) and if it's chilly out I'll wear those stretchy little gloves. If it's dark and cloudy, be sure to wear something with a reflector on it or wear white for visibility :smile:
  • paulamma1
    paulamma1 Posts: 544 Member
    Options
    LOVE running in the rain, esp. in warm weather.

Wear technical socks, NOT cotton. The technical socks (just like the technical clothes) wick wetness away rather than just soaking it up.

NOTE: especially with the summer, and therefore thunder storms, coming. Never run in storms. If you can hear it or see it flee it.

Other than that I like to wear some kind of hat with a brim so the rain doesn't get in my eyes.
  • mikee1216
    mikee1216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    So are you supposed to have waterproof running shoes? Or is it ok to get em wet?
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    I live near Seattle so running in rain is almost a daily occurance for me - LOL - In the summer we tend to go to the TM because it's "too hot" :wink:

I have seen your hot and am very jealous because I think it was only like 75-80 with no humidity. Our hot is 95-100 with 100% humidity. :laugh: I was in Seattle in June of last year. We went to the fun beach (down near Oregon) for a weekend and I was litterally standing on the beach with my winter coat on! :noway:
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options

I have seen your hot and am very jealous because I think it was only like 75-80 with no humidity. Our hot is 95-100 with 100% humidity. :laugh: I was in Seattle in June of last year. We went to the fun beach (down near Oregon) for a weekend and I was litterally standing on the beach with my winter coat on! :noway:

You're in PA - it's the same here. The summers are HOT with LOTS of humidity! But I don't mind it so much. Once it gets hot, I wait until about 7pm to run. I wish I could get up early and run in the morning, but I just can't.
  • SherryRH
    Options
    So are you supposed to have waterproof running shoes? Or is it ok to get em wet?

It is ok to get your shoes wet. My running shoes don't tend to get tight because there really isn't a whole lot of leather on them. I usually unlace them and pull the tongue all the way out so the toes can get dry.
  • SherryRH
    Options

You're in PA - it's the same here. The summers are HOT with LOTS of humidity! But I don't mind it so much. Once it gets hot, I wait until about 7pm to run. I wish I could get up early and run in the morning, but I just can't.

I have a group I run with and our norm is 5:30 am every day. :laugh: We do bootcamp 3 days a week and there are different people in bootcamp that run on the rest of the days so there is a running day on our off bootcamp days. In the summer it is very nice because you get up and go and then you don't have to worry about later if it is still hot and humid. Although I have seen some crazies out there running in the middle of the afternoon. I think the heat fried their brains. No way I am doing that!
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    Part of my route is covered by trees, so really...I shouldn't be too bad off. And I don't even know for sure that it's going to rain. So here's another question - it says POSSIBLE scattered T-storms...I want to take the chance, but what should I do if I find myself you know,4-6 miles away from home and caught in a storm?
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options

I have a group I run with and our norm is 5:30 am every day. :laugh: We do bootcamp 3 days a week and there are different people in bootcamp that run on the rest of the days so there is a running day on our off bootcamp days. In the summer it is very nice because you get up and go and then you don't have to worry about later if it is still hot and humid. Although I have seen some crazies out there running in the middle of the afternoon. I think the heat fried their brains. No way I am doing that!

See, 5:30 would be okay. I could manage that. But it wouldn't leave me with enough time to shower and get to work on time (I work at 7. I need to leave no later than 6:40). I would have to get up at 4am in order to run and shower and get to work. Maybe 4:30 depending on the route. No way. Although, I think that days when I know I have something in the evening, I'm going to start getting up and running early. Anyone can do anything for one day, right?
  • msarro
    msarro Posts: 2,748 Member
    Options
    Running in the rain rocks the effing casbah. Make it a lazy run, and enjoy some hardcore puddle jumping :wink:
  • Tiddle
    Tiddle Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    I HATE running in the rain. :noway:
  • Phoenix_Rising
    Phoenix_Rising Posts: 11,417 Member
    Options
    I would love to run in the rain.
    No windbreaker, no hat.
    Let the rain wash it all away.
    Just do it. nike-swoosh.gif
  • 1Corinthians13
    Options
    msarro - all my runs are lazy. Haha...I just mean I'm not extremely fast yet. I'm working on distance. Once I can run the entire 10k without stopping to walk, I'll do some speed work.

Lauryn - I plan to. Just do it, that is. :smile: Depends on how warm it is if I will wear the windbreaker or not.