Running Question...

Options
It seem sas if I am jogging, I feel fine... But when I start doing Sprints jog Sprints.... My lower back just above the tailbone aches abit...Is that normal to feel abit of ache or soreness there?

Replies

• mikee1216
    mikee1216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    It seem sas if I am jogging, I feel fine... But when I start doing Sprints jog Sprints.... My lower back just above the tailbone aches abit...Is that normal to feel abit of ache or soreness there?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Get in some core work. I think you probably have bad form because of a weak core. Your abs and obliques and gluts all influence almost every exercise you do including running. Almost any time you feel pain in and around your back, it's because you're core is weaker then it should be.

80% of Adults in the US will experience back problems in their life. 82% of those people could avoid those problems if they did core strengthening exercises for 5 minutes a day, 3 times a week. Seems like a small tradeoff for a pain free back.

NOTE: make sure you do the exercises with CORRECT form, doing core workouts with bad form is just as bad as bending forward to lift a heavy box!
  • SherryRH
    SherryRH Posts: 810 Member
    Options
    maybe you need to work on your hamstring flexibility. If you hammys are tight, they contract and pull your lowerback muscles. That could be it since it is an ache and not a sharp pain, but not 100% sure.

Yoga would help other aspects of your running too. I have IT band issues and jessmomof3 suggested it to help with keeping them flexible.
  • mikee1216
    mikee1216 Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the replies....
  • Nich0le
    Nich0le Posts: 2,906 Member
    Options
    I suck at adding links but visit, this is great information on what muscles you need for different parts of running.

http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-263--13030-1-1X2X3X4-5,00.html

If the link doesn't work this article is at runnersworld.com and under the training tab look for an article called FAST ABS.

:drinker: