Little things for large people

Options
paddlemom
paddlemom Posts: 682 Member
On another thread, someone asked if we had any hints for 'hidden' exercise that she could do while going about her daily routine. It got me thinking about what we can do outside of formal exercise to push the envelope and get more fit.

So my question is, what "little things" are you doing to enhance your journey to fitness.

I am doing toe-touch type bending to pick up dropped items (and laundry left on the floor :laugh: ) and pulling my feet up onto my knees cross legged style to put on my socks and shoes, rather than propping them on a bench, to work on my flexibility.

Replies

• paddlemom
    Options
    On another thread, someone asked if we had any hints for 'hidden' exercise that she could do while going about her daily routine. It got me thinking about what we can do outside of formal exercise to push the envelope and get more fit.

So my question is, what "little things" are you doing to enhance your journey to fitness.

I am doing toe-touch type bending to pick up dropped items (and laundry left on the floor :laugh: ) and pulling my feet up onto my knees cross legged style to put on my socks and shoes, rather than propping them on a bench, to work on my flexibility.
  • charliesgold
    charliesgold Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I vacuum a little harder for longer than necessary on days that I can't get out to the gym or exercise as much as I'd like, it's great because it gets the house clean too! I also park a little further away than I could and go upstairs a few extra times a day :D
  • monetcat2000
    Options
    Wear a pedometer while doing house or yard work. It is amazing how many steps you can add to your exercise log at the end of the day.
  • sandas23
    sandas23 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    We "waste" a lot of time brushing our teeth. I do squats and/or balance on one leg while polishing my pearly whites.
  • MyaPapaya75
    MyaPapaya75 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    I walk all over the grocery store even though I am only there for one item....
  • ThatDollSally
    ThatDollSally Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    If I need to kill some time before going to work or meeting a friend somewhere I go window shopping. Sure I wind up buying a couple extra things now and again, but that's a lot of walking that doesn't get accounted for.
  • paddlemom
    Options
    We "waste" a lot of time brushing our teeth. I do squats and/or balance on one leg while polishing my pearly whites.

How many calories are in a toothbrush, cause I would surely end up eating mine!!!:bigsmile:

Though, I have been caught doing squats and calf raises in the elevator when it stops on an unexpected floor:blushing:
  • annaliza
    annaliza Posts: 809
    Options
    Whenever I'm standing around or standing in line, I squeeze my buttocks and stand up and down on the tip of my toes.

Or I'll do a few yoga poses when watching the kids or tv.

Or I'll really work my legs and rock the baby back and forth (he really loves it)... I like to sneak in little exercises when I play with the kids.

I'll sprint to the garage (which is about 1/8 of a mile from the house) whenever I have to go out there.

All those little things sure add up!! :smile:
  • vmkirby
    vmkirby Posts: 23
    Options
    I always park far away and trek across the lot. Unless it's raining. Then I just stay in the store longer and walk in there.
  • paddlemom
    Options
    I always park far away and trek across the lot. Unless it's raining. Then I just stay in the store longer and walk in there.

OK, I'm sensing a trend here....it's not the groceries that makes getting fitter expensive...it's the 'exershopping'. I spent 3 hrs at the mall with my daughter yesterday - I'm logging those kms!!!!
  • sonjavon
    sonjavon Posts: 1,019 Member
    Options
    I wear arm weights when folding the laundry.

Wash my bathroom floors on my hands and knees instead of using a mop for an arm workout or use a damp towel and my foot to swirl the towel around for a leg workout (be sure to alternate legs).

When standing at the stove cooking, I do squats or leg lifts.

When driving - hold my stomach muscles in for the duration of a red light.

Never sit still while watching TV. Stretch, leg lifts, crunches, push ups... move. Even if it's just for the commercials.

Fidget. I had a really thin roomate in college - it seems like she was always in motion... she was never still.... I've noticed that a lot of "naturally thin" people are fidgeters... so I make an effort to do the same.
  • annaliza
    Options

Fidget. I had a really thin roomate in college - it seems like she was always in motion... she was never still.... I've noticed that a lot of "naturally thin" people are fidgeters... so I make an effort to do the same.

My husband swears by the fidgeting. He says that's why he can eat 2 whoppers and large fries and still be as thin as he is....

He has the leg fidget (you know, your leg bounces up and down the whole time youre sitting down).
  • TCASMEY
    TCASMEY Posts: 1,405 Member
    Options
    When I take the kids to the park I don't sit and watch I walk constantly or use the first step of the climber and do step aerobics or use monkey bars to attempt pull-ups or do bench push ups. Park on the oposite side of the mall from the store you want to be in. Find reasons to do extra trips up the stairs or go into the basement for no reason. On commercial breaks while watching tv do some exercise like situps, push ups hula hoop jump rope .......:smile:
  • paddlemom
    Options

My husband swears by the fidgeting. He says that's why he can eat 2 whoppers and large fries and still be as thin as he is....

He has the leg fidget (you know, your leg bounces up and down the whole time youre sitting down).

OMG my DH does this too! It just about drives me crazy but you are right, he is skinny as a rail!
  • annaliza
    Options

OMG my DH does this too! It just about drives me crazy but you are right, he is skinny as a rail!

Lol, maybe I should start fidgeting!
  • lexxx
    lexxx Posts: 2
    Options
    It's kind of stupid, but if you are by yourself, skip to wherever you are going. Me and my mom think that it is why my sister stays so thin, she skips everywhere she goes!! Even if you are just going throughout the house, not only is it amusing, but it's a little workout too! [=
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    I let my 4 year old ride on my shoulders when we go for a longer walk
    not too long however he's 55 pounds
  • Heather125
    Heather125 Posts: 433 Member
    Options
    It's kind of stupid, but if you are by yourself, skip to wherever you are going. Me and my mom think that it is why my sister stays so thin, she skips everywhere she goes!! Even if you are just going throughout the house, not only is it amusing, but it's a little workout too! [=

:laugh: I'd love to try that but I live in an apartment with a downstairs neighbour
    and I think my 13 year old would disown me even though he skipped around and walked on his tiptoes till he was 8:laugh:
  • ThatDollSally
    Options

Lol, maybe I should start fidgeting!

There have acutally been studies that prove that fidgetters are smaller on average.
  • ThatDollSally
    Options
    I know it's been a while since anyone posted on this, but I just thought of a good one!

While I was watching the Stanley Cup finals, I would get up and walk around the living room during the intermissions, that's 40 min. of walking during each game! Then I started thinking "why don't I just walk around during commercials or when I'm not too engrossed in the program?" Let me tell you, that adds up fast!