Squats with dumbbells

Options
are extremely awkward.

My school gym only has the Smith machine (which I refuse to use because of the negative things I've read on here), a leg press machine (which I have used but it puts a lot of strain on my knees) and dumbbells. Last week, I tried a couple of squats with dumbbells but I felt really awkward doing it. The weights pressed in close to my legs and it felt like it was sacrificing my form. Any suggestions for how I can incorporate weights in my squats without it feeling so awkward?

Replies

• Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Dumbell front squat
    0609_front_squat.jpg
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I second the dumbbell front squat. I used to have that same problem when I did dumbbell squats at home. The front squat is less awkward.
  • amzasmommy
    amzasmommy Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I rest them on my shoulders. I hold the front of the weight ball, put the bar over my shoulder, and then one ball is behind me. I feel like I have the best control this way.
  • coraliethomas
    coraliethomas Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I use the dumbells, but I push them up above my head as I squat down. Kinda works the arms and legs at the same time. And it helps keep my back straighter!
  • arl29
    arl29 Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I am just getting started on my weightloss journey. I've lost 13lbs but want to lose about 20-25 more. Anyway, I walk each day with two 5 lbs weights. I do little arm workouts with them and also a few squats. Should I be doing this? I'm not to the point where I necessarily need to focus on toning up. I have to lose weight first. What do you think?
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I hold mine at my sides, My form is they are held straight down and when you "sit down" into a squat the bell should go straight down and up, pushing up through the heels, almost like your trying to sit on an imaginary bucket or seat. the only time I ever had a banging issue was when my form was off and I was leaning my upper body too far forward and my knee's were passing my toes. Sitting 20-30 lb dumbells ontop of my shoulders to do squats doesn't seem like a good idea. least from my shoulders point of view.

However the squat press w/bells nice. Pushing up as you come up.
  • almc170
    almc170 Posts: 1,093 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats--holding a single dumbbell against my chest with both hands--are easiest for me to manage while keeping form.
  • ttkg
    ttkg Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    Goblet squats--holding a single dumbbell against my chest with both hands--are easiest for me to manage while keeping form.

This one works for me too.
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    You could always just do more reps w/o weights.