Shin Splint Remedies?

Options
Aside from ice packs and ibuprofen, is there anything else I can do to help ease or totally prevent shin splints? I've started developing them after my treadmill workouts.

Replies

• Sweet13_Princess
    Sweet13_Princess Posts: 1,207 Member
    Options
    I suffered from these when I first started running. The shoe is definately the easiest fix. As a woman, I really prefer Ryka and have the best luck with this brand. You'll want a stability shoe. I found that once I found a good running shoe, my shin splits basically went away on their own. I've heard a lot of people with shin splints mention that they liked Nike Lunarglide.

Shannon
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If I stretch properly, I don't get them. Without stretching, they're a nightmare.
  • katie133
    katie133 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    if you have low/no arches in your feet you probably over pronate.. a pair of motion control shoes, or orthodics will help with the shin splints
  • heavensshadow
    heavensshadow Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    I've got good shoes (Mizunos, for my overpronating feet - love them), and I'm always sure to stretch. Didn't have this issue last year when I started running, but this spring seems to be a different story.
    What's the average mileage on a shoe before it's ready to be replaced?
  • gogojodee
    gogojodee Posts: 1,261 Member
    Options
    It's best to replace every 300-400 miles. I know mine are due up! Good luck!
  • determinedbutlazy
    determinedbutlazy Posts: 1,941 Member
    Options
    I have a really hot shower, then roll a hairspray can over my shins (toward the heart) which forces the ligaments to release a little. It hurts like flaming poop when you do it but in the morning the pain should be hugely reduced.
    I still get a lot of tension in my shins, kneeling and sitting on my heels can be super painful if I haven't stretched out properly.

A 20 minute yoga routine with lots of leg stretches in the evening after a run can really help loosen things up too!
  • jennimben
    jennimben Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I used to get shinsplints every time I walked until I learned a tip from a specialty running store owner. She said to take smaller steps whether running or walking. I thought a longer stride was better, but it did me more harm than good. Once I shortened my stride, the shinsplints disappeared whether I was on an incline, flat, or walking briskly. I hope this helps, it sure made walking more fun for me! And the right shoes help too- get good inserts, most shoes have a false insert. Pull it out and you'll see.