You start teaching your kids' food habit form their very fir

Options
*topic: You start teaching your kids' food habit form their very first day

I've been here for a while and went through lot of opened profiles and noticed that all of the parents here stated one nice inspiration such as "to be a good example to my kids" or so.

Well, I am a mother of 12 years old boy, the one you will rarely meet in your life: he has got excellent eating habits. And I started with this lesson from his very first day: making sure that he is eating right at time, right number of meals, with good nutritive values and different kinds. (even during my periods when I ate a garbage what brought me to MFP)

Later, when he started doing sports actively, I payed special attention to his particular needs and activities. Same again: eating right at time, right number of meals with the right quantity & quality...

What made me to write this post? (even though English is far from my fist language, I hope you'll be nice to me ;-)

I'll tell you one of our everyday's stories:

He came back from school today and said: Mom, I'm just craving for a fruit! And, he had one orange straight away.

After a while, I had finished preparing a lunch (home made vegetable soup and cous cous with grilled chicken white meat and a looooot of veggies, and serve it all together in a big plate -- you know, we cook all the time in this part of the world), and he was going like: you are just not fair! you turned all of the veggies to your side so I can not get enough of these yummies!

This morning he had an oats meal (plain oats with the milk and mix of the dried and fresh fruit)... how many kids at this age you know that would even look at it? My son calls it "pls, make me one big, nice bowl of your colorful everything".

Of course, he eats a crap when he's in school as he doesn't have any other option there, he loves chocolates, chips and ice creams, but he is AWARE of the food differences and nutritive values and sometimes stops himself when having too much processed food, without any of mine intervention. He just said, what is enough is enough, I had this *kitten* way too much.

So, this 12 years boy chooses fruit before chips, veggies before carbs, cooked meat before roasted.

And this is just that he was taught this way. And the fact that I've been really dedicated to his nutrition, making sure that we have everyday cooked balanced meal and a lot of different fruits around the house, along with some nuts.

I am carefully conducting his food choices giving him GOOD OFFER around him. We have no soda in the house, or boxed food only plenty of fruits, instead of milk chocolates we are full of black ones, with min of 75% cocoa or fiber sweet bars...

So, think about that if you have or going to have kids. A lot of obese people are victims of their parent's poor food choices. Be really (and every day) a parent of a good example who gives good offers.

(once more, be nice with me if you find grammar mistakes in this post ;-)

Replies

• mindidily
    mindidily Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I'm already getting my two year old on the right track! He gets treats now and again, but he eats pretty healthy. He comes home from school/daycare and will ask for a snack. He goes to the fridge and asks "Mommy how about broccoli? Carrots? Apples?"
    One day he and I were eating some chicken and steamed broccoli and he ate all the broccoli off my plate. He then pushed me his and said "Okay mommy now eat yours!" I love it.
  • babareeba
    babareeba Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    He goes to the fridge and asks "Mommy how about broccoli? Carrots? Apples?"
    One day he and I were eating some chicken and steamed broccoli and he ate all the broccoli off my plate. He then pushed me his and said "Okay mommy now eat yours!" I love it.

Yes! I know the feeling. It makes you confident that you do your job just well. BTW, my son also adores broccoli and raw carrots ;-)
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on doing a great job! We brainwashed our kids from the time they could crawl. They're both teenagers now and, occasionally succumb to peer pressure and have a less than ideal lunch at school, but overall they both make good nutritional choices (fruits & vegetables - my son even conceded that brussels spouts weren't poisonous yesterday) and they both enjoy a variety of foods.