Question for people in their healthy BMI and want to lose 10

Options
I am 47, and small framed and my BMI is 23. I am having {what I feel} a difficult time losing 10 lbs. I have always been thin and I gained some unwanted weight while I stopped exercising and eating healthy while working on a 7 year redesign project on a historical home. It took all of our time & energy on weekends and after work until late into the wee hours. To be quite frank~ it was just easier to run to the fast~food places to feed the family and keep working.

I have been diligent for about 50 days straight since restarting my healthy lifestyle {again}. I do circuit~training like: Jillian Michael's DVD's, Supreme 90 Day, C25K, High~Low Impact aerobics, wimpy 5~15 lbs weights, and 10 min. of ab workout {bumped it to 6days}.

I said all of that to say this...Is anyone else having a similar struggle? I get so discouraged like Sisyphus from Greek mythology. I am open to any suggestions and PLZ be kind! {Some can really be like lions ripping apart their prey}:laugh:

Thank you and may all your dreams come true!:drinker:

Replies

• tunktunk5583
    tunktunk5583 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Losing the last 10 is a real b!tch and your body is seriously fighting to keep the weight.

Have you tried playing with your diet? I don't mean calories but the actual foods. Workout is one thing but eating right is what ultimately will help you shed the pounds. Not that I'm a "clean eater" but I TRY and reduce the amount of processed foods I consume. Maybe you can give it a go and see how you fare?

Good luck!
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind that BMI is really a poor way to measure your fitness. Is it really the pounds you want to lose or is it that you feel a bit flabby? You're doing a lot of cardio, but it's not giving you the results you want so it's time to switch things up. I could suggest you cut carbs and processed food from your diet, but you'll probably find that the pounds slowly come back when you switch your diet back.

Instead of focusing on the scale, use the measuring tape. I'd suggest upping your lifting to higher weights. Building more muscle will tighten up your look and you'll burn a few more calories with more muscle, as well. Look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women.
  • pamperedhen
    pamperedhen Posts: 446 Member
    Options
    I eat the same things practically everyday I guess: 9oz Mocha Frappuccino
    Whole wheat fiber bread 1 slice w/ 1TBS peanut butter

Cottage cheese w/ pickles sliced and dill
    Salad w/ 1TBS olive oil and lemon juice

Edename or some other nuts

Chicken, Salmon, Beans for dinner w/ rice,quinoa or sweet potato/red potato
    Greek yogurt w/ potato
    Spinach or some veggie

Fruit of some kind

Maybe if I am still hungry {which I always am}..another PB& 1slice of bread
    Frappy or Protein drink w/ milk {1%}

I drink 1 gal of water and yes I am a nerd who measures it!:tongue:
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Agree on focusing on measurements over the scale. I would focus on diets, eating good foods to fuel the body since it seems like you are already working out quite a bit. When there is little weight to lose, it just takes longer. Keep going.

ETA: Just read your last post, how many calories are you eating?
  • pamperedhen
    Options
    Keep in mind that BMI is really a poor way to measure your fitness. Is it really the pounds you want to lose or is it that you feel a bit flabby? You're doing a lot of cardio, but it's not giving you the results you want so it's time to switch things up. I could suggest you cut carbs and processed food from your diet, but you'll probably find that the pounds slowly come back when you switch your diet back.

Instead of focusing on the scale, use the measuring tape. I'd suggest upping your lifting to higher weights. Building more muscle will tighten up your look and you'll burn a few more calories with more muscle, as well. Look into the New Rules of Lifting for Women.

Yes, I feel FLABBY in my tummy I guess and my butt...everyone else says NO...but I used to be a 2 and I just got back into my 4 jeans! :drinker:

Is it possible to lift at home??? That's what I have been doing w/ my wimpy weights:laugh:

THX sooo much for your help~

:drinker:
  • pamperedhen
    Options
    Agree on focusing on measurements over the scale. I would focus on diets, eating good foods to fuel the body since it seems like you are already working out quite a bit. When there is little weight to lose, it just takes longer. Keep going.

ETA: Just read your last post, how many calories are you eating?

Started at 1200 and was faint and MEAN so with a lot of advice from people upped to like 1500 and sometimes 2000. Now I did 2000 a few times this past week and now I am up 2~3 lbs!!!:grumble: I usually am 127 now. Before I was like 104! {before the 7 yrs. and that was after 4 births!!:drinker: } I want to get to 120~115.

THX SOOOO MUCH FOR YOUR HELP:flowerforyou:
    Thanks
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I have been diligent for about 50 days straight since restarting my healthy lifestyle {again}. I do circuit~training like: Jillian Michael's DVD's, Supreme 90 Day, C25K, High~Low Impact aerobics, wimpy 5~15 lbs weights, and 10 min. of ab workout {bumped it to 6days}.

Less cardio, heavier weights. Check out New Rules of Lifting for Women. Your body will thank you.
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    Well, I used to be one who was all about 1200 calories. I'm 5'1" so I thought that was the smartest thing to do.

And then I got stuck with ten pounds left to lose.

So, I listened to all those people who had success losing while eating more and I upped my calories.

I ate at MFP maintenance levels (1500) for a week and lost two pounds immediately.

That was two weeks ago and now I regularly eat between 1400-1600 and have lost two MORE pounds in the subsequent two weeks.

I don't know why it works but I'm glad it does.

Anyway, I say all that to say this:

Maybe you should eat some more. You're very close to your goals and it seems to help to have only a small caloric deficit.

I hope you find what works for you very soon :)
  • shelbyfrootcake
    shelbyfrootcake Posts: 965 Member
    Options
    I've got another 10lbs to go before I'll be happy (current BMI is 21.9) and it's been an almighty struggle. The only weight I've lost recently was the 5lbs I gained over Christmas and while I was on holiday in Antigua. I'm back to the same place now that I was in November and have just plateaued for the last 3 weeks.
  • SunLovin1
    SunLovin1 Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    I'm in the same boat you are. I recently started lifting weights and I've noticed a big difference in HOW my weight is distributed. That said, I haven't lost anything to speak of and that bugs me no end.

I just keep telling myself that women in their 40's really need to watch out to make sure we don't lose muscle along with the flab. Hence, strength training.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a slight caloric deficit, no more than 250 cals/day (0.5lb/week weight loss goal), to get enough protein (0.8-1.0 grams per lb of lean body mass, or 0.7-0.8 grams per lb of goal weight), and to have a fitness regimen that focuses mainly on heavy weights strength training (check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or other programs designed around compound movements)

Not getting enough protein or doing enough strength training, or having too large of a caloric deficit will lean to the loss of a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing.
  • missroxy1985
    missroxy1985 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    You should try to eat your fruits in AM and no more fruits after lunch.
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options

Timing of food has very little if nothing to do with weight loss. Eat when you want and just try to hit your calorie goal. the timing of intake is a myth when it comes to weight loss. Just make sure you have energy when you need it.
  • pamperedhen
    Options

Timing of food has very little if nothing to do with weight loss. Eat when you want and just try to hit your calorie goal. the timing of intake is a myth when it comes to weight loss. Just make sure you have energy when you need it.

Totally agree w/ you! After my 4 births I lost all my weight by the 6 week check up {I gained about 30lb w/ each} I ate like 24hrs a day BUT stayed within my calories!

I lost these 8 lbs in 8 weeks doing the very same thing...it just is sooooo much slower now:sad:
  • cherylfromboji
    cherylfromboji Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Look into the PINK Method...it's an amazing diet...and comes with exercise videos.
  • pamperedhen
    Options
    Look into the PINK Method...it's an amazing diet...and comes with exercise videos.

I will and THANKS!:flowerforyou:
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I would suggest a slight caloric deficit, no more than 250 cals/day (0.5lb/week weight loss goal), to get enough protein (0.8-1.0 grams per lb of lean body mass, or 0.7-0.8 grams per lb of goal weight), and to have a fitness regimen that focuses mainly on heavy weights strength training (check out New Rules of Lifting for Women, Starting strength, Stronglifts 5x5, or other programs designed around compound movements)

Not getting enough protein or doing enough strength training, or having too large of a caloric deficit will lean to the loss of a large % of lean muscle, not just the fat you are looking at losing.

But people would rather give up fruit or pay for PINK branded stuff they can get for free.

I am afraid no one wants the advice that really works and has LASTING results.

*bangs head on desk*
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    Use heavier weights. You basically need to lose body fat to get rid of the flabby. When I did 30DS, I felt stronger but didn't see visible results. I was using only 3 and 5 lbs weights though. I do bodyrock.tv workouts now, and use 15lbs kettlebell, 10 and 15lbs dumbbells. I saw visible results in 1.5 month. So I suggest heavier weights.