I'm STARVING!!! HELP!

Options
Ok, so I join MFP in the hopes that it would help me lose more weight after dropping 15 lbs just by stopping the soft drinks. I am trying very hard to watch what I eat. The problem is, since I have started exercising a lot more diligently, I seem to be hungry ALL THE TIME. I'm not talking about the "Oh I need a little snack" kinda hungry, I'm talking so hungry I'm HONGREEE! I really hate being like this because I find that I want to eat more when I do eat. I am eating small snacks during the day (handful of nuts, a yogurt etc.) but it just doesn't seem to help. Anyone got any ideas?

Replies

• Ziiox
    Ziiox Posts: 5
    Options
    It would help if you opened up your diary, but for now I'd suggest increasing your protein intake. Protein can really help with satiety.
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    It would help if you opened up your diary, but for now I'd suggest increasing your protein intake. Protein can really help with satiety.

protein and fiber!
  • alyson820
    alyson820 Posts: 448 Member
    Options
    Maybe your sodium or sugar intakes are too high? I find that when I eat a lot of salt, or foods with processed sugar, I feel much hungrier.

Also, how much water are you drinking? Aim for about a gallon.
  • amymrls
    amymrls Posts: 1,673 Member
    Options
    protien and fiber are more filling.
  • lorishultis
    lorishultis Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Remember that if you are working out - you need more intake! Dont deny yourself if your HUNGREEEE eat but eat smart!

Protein is GREAT it will fill you; dont eat things that will pass through you. Special K has some grea snack bars and the Oates N honey Nature Valleys are good too!
  • radradradradrad
    radradradradrad Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    a natural, whey protein shake after your workout, for sure.
    fiber
    tons of water.

exercising means your body needs extra fuel. make sure you're eating back your exercise calories!
  • momma3sweetgirls
    momma3sweetgirls Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you've started exercising more, then your body is burning more fuel. You need to eat more. Eat at least some of your earned calories from exercise if you're not already. If you are eating your exercise calories and you're still hungry, I agree with others that more protein and fiber will help you feel fuller, longer. Keep up the good work!
  • iqnas
    iqnas Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • Saffyra
    Saffyra Posts: 607 Member
    Options
    How much do you have to lose? If you are on 1200 and have a lot to lose you could definitely eat more.

Or set your MFP goals to lose 1lb a week and get those extra calories.

It's not worth it to try to lose faster if you can't stick with the restriction. You want something you can *do* not leaves you so hungry youre going to eat your own arm.

Also, try drinking water if you feel hungry. Many times that's all it is. Dehydration.

And of course, make sure you're actually hungry and not just bored or emotional.

I'm sure others will have other good advice as well.

Good luck and happy losing!
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories.
  • lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Make sure you start your day with high fiber and high protein foods. More substantial than a bowl of cereal. These will help keep you feeling fuller all day long. Drink plenty of water, sometimes our bodies give us hunger signals when we're actually thirsty. I'm talking pushing towards a gallon a day! I rarely make it that far, but there are days when I have more than that!
    If after all said and done, trying everything, and you're still starving, EAT! You obviously would need more calories to keep yourself from feeling miserable. It's no fun being hungry all the time. Feeling like, eh, I could eat, is okay. HUNGRY! is not.
  • 10acity
    10acity Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    Re: Protein : yes. Also make sure you're compensating for at least a majority of the calories expended during exercise (I'm miserable when I don't!).

Also, I eat a lot of broth-based soup because it's low-cal and REALLY fills me up.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    I am with everyone on this , have protein with every meal.. eat when your hungry but keep the cals around/under 300 calories a meal every 3 hrs..
  • Umeboshi
    Umeboshi Posts: 1,637 Member
    Options
    Eat back your exercise calories.

Yup, make sure you're doing this.
  • RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I had the same issue, I was incredibly hungry (starving even) in the afternoon to the point where I'd eat more than I should have. I had a long talk with a friend who recently lost 100 lbs and 28% BF about his research into the Glycemic Index. It's equally as much about what you eat as when you eat it.

For instance, I was having a whole wheat bagel with peanut butter every single morning. Now I know that, while it filled me up for HOURS, I was hungry in the afternoon because of it. Whole wheat is still a simple carbohydrate which causes that insulin spike in the morning, but you crash off it in the afternoon just like an energy drink. I cut it from my diet completely and the hunger is gone. Now I have replaced all my carbs with complex carbs (must say WHOLE *GRAIN* not whole WHEAT, and look at the ingredients) and longer-burning foods. Now my usual day is, shake for breakfast, 1/4 cup raw unsalted nuts + handful of Kashi whole grain "triscuit" type crackers mid-morning, a lunch that balances carbs/protein/fat like chili is one of my favorites, apple + cheese mid-afternoon, protein shake post-workout, then a dinner heavy on lean protein like chicken or flank steak and lots of veggies.

I totally feel that switching things up so drastically has moved me past my extreme hunger issues for good.
  • silverfox308
    Options
    I am glad i am not the only one that can't seem to get full. I am going to focus on getting more protein and water in. Have to do more exercise.
    :smile:
  • allibean15
    Options
    I went to a nutrionist who really pushed protein. It keeps you full longer. Nuts and yogurt have protein but I try for 1/4 lb turkey or chicken rollups, 1 tB peanut butter, cottage cheese as snacks with TONS of water.
  • kbuelo
    kbuelo Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Eat smaller, frequent meals? Sometimes (for me) this is as simple as eating half of my lunch, then an hour or 2 later, eating the other half. My coworkers must think I never stop eating but I'm just spreading a normal amount of food out over the course of the day.

Another thing that works for me is protein smoothies/shakes right before a workout. It makes me put more into my workout with the energy boost, and keeps me from feeling so ravenous right afterward.

Also, I found that sometimes you just have to suffer the hunger for a few days (so long as you are getting enough calories). Eventually your body will learn to function on smaller meals and a large meal will make you feel totally sluggish.

Good luck to you!
  • sixisCHANGEDjk
    Options
    Greek yogurt is good. More fiber than others and fairly filling for me.
  • stephenatl09
    stephenatl09 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    If you are going by MFP recommendations for your caloris intake make sure you add in your excercise and eat those extra calories. Make sure the calories you get are good whole food calories lots of vegatables, lean protein and fruit. Make the calories you get count. If you are doing strength training you can add that in the as cardio to get extra calories also.. But like previously stated without being able to view your dairy it is just guessing...hope this helps some !! :smile: