HELP, IN NEED OF A SUBSTITUTE FOR TORTILLA CHIPS!

Options
I'm in need of a good substitute for tortilla chips! I LOVE tortilla chips but they are getting the better of me and ruining my diet. I really enjoy them with re fried beans and salsa. Can anyone think of a substitute that is a little salty, but less in calories...and maybe even good for you???? Thanks all!

Replies

• myfirstapron
    Options
    What about the Baked! tortilla chips? Also, yesterday I was in Costco and saw chips that were low in calorie and contained an entire serving of vegetables. They were sea salt flavored. I haven't tasted them though!
    My mom says an old WW trick is to eat salsa with baby carrots. But, those aren't really salty.
    Good luck!
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Baked tortilla chips instead of fried tortilla chips.
  • aoney
    aoney Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Try sliced cucumber with sea salt.
  • Nymeria42
    Nymeria42 Posts: 21
    Options
    Special K has these things called cracker chips and you get like 30 of them for 110 cal. They satisfy your salty and crunchy craving and they have a few different flavors. My fav is sour cream and onion.
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    I'm in need of a good substitute for tortilla chips! I LOVE tortilla chips but they are getting the better of me and ruining my diet. I really enjoy them with re fried beans and salsa. Can anyone think of a substitute that is a little salty, but less in calories...and maybe even good for you???? Thanks all!

There is no substitute, only portion control :bigsmile:
  • Southpaw3612
    Options
    Popchips. They are fairly low in calories for the amount of chips you get to eat per serving and Im sure they would taste just as great with salsa. Good luck
  • cherylfromboji
    cherylfromboji Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I take a brown rice tortilla and cut it up and bake until crips....yummy!!! And no wheat products!
  • 81Katz
    81Katz Posts: 7,074 Member
    Options
    Great Value (walmart) taco shells. 2 shells have 120 calories. You can just break them up and eat them that way.
  • treetop57
    treetop57 Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    Just looking in the database, for example:

Doritos 16g - Baked Nacho Cheese Tortilla Chips
    1 package (3/4 oz)
    Calories 80
    Total Fat 4 g
    Saturated 1 g
    Polyunsaturated 0 g
    Monounsaturated 1 g
    Trans 0 g
    Cholesterol 0 mg
    Sodium 115 mg
    Potassium 70 mg
    Total Carbs 10 g
    Dietary Fiber 1 g
    Sugars 0 g
    Protein 1 g

Doritos - Tortilla Chips - Nacho Cheese
    3/4 oz
    Calories 113
    Total Fat 6
    Saturated 2
    Polyunsaturated 0
    Monounsaturated 0
    Trans 0
    Cholesterol 0
    Sodium 158
    Potassium 0
    Total Carbs 13
    Dietary Fiber 1
    Sugars 1
    Protein 2
  • k8es
    k8es Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    Special K has these things called cracker chips and you get like 30 of them for 110 cal. They satisfy your salty and crunchy craving and they have a few different flavors. My fav is sour cream and onion.

^^ These. They come in a number of different flavors too. There is also a brand like pop chips that makes tortilla style chips out of popcorn. I'll try to think of the name and edit this post

The name is popcorners. I've had the sea salt ones, not bad
  • ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options

I agree! And a lot of the substitutes take a fairly simple product (corn, oil, salt) and add a bunch of unpronounceable ingredients.

I still eat tortilla chips - a weighed portion - several times a week. Love them.
  • gdunn55
    gdunn55 Posts: 363
    Options
    Tias kettle cooked tortilla chips are pretty good.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. Different food(s) of course, but I decided I can't eat (whatever) if I don't buy (whatever).

But yeah, you can roll your own: Cut corn tortilla into wedge shapes (6ths) bake at 350 degrees F for 12 minutes or so, sprinkle with salt (or whichever). . . TADA!
  • RyanPerry2012
    RyanPerry2012 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I personally use La Favorita yellow corn low-salt tortilla chips, which you can buy in 2 lb. bags at Sam's Club. Per 1 oz., they're 60 calories and 2g fat. By far the "least-bad" tortilla chips I've ever found, and they actually taste just as good as any others.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Tias kettle cooked tortilla chips are pretty good.
    2369948824_e1d0287710.jpg
  • natalie412
    natalie412 Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    I don't think there is any good substitute. Try using hotter salsa - I find spicier things satisfy me quicker, and I just weigh the chips and only eat one ounce.
  • AllTehBeers
    AllTehBeers Posts: 5,030 Member
    Options

I agree! And a lot of the substitutes take a fairly simple product (corn, oil, salt) and add a bunch of unpronounceable ingredients.

I still eat tortilla chips - a weighed portion - several times a week. Love them.

This. I love tortilla chips and I've looked at all the chips for something else but nothing really strikes me as better or healthier so what I do is count out 1 serving (I think like 24 chips) and put the bag away before I even eat any of it. There's no substitute for the real thing!
  • SparklingLisa
    SparklingLisa Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Oh My Goodness....what AWESOME replies!!!!! Thanks Everyone!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm going to go shopping tonight and be on the lookout for all your suggestions....{does a happy dance!} THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!! Ü
  • coliema
    coliema Posts: 7,646 Member
    Options

Those sound sooo good!
  • pspetralia
    pspetralia Posts: 963 Member
    Options
    Barbecue popchips are awesome! You can have 20 for only 120 cal.