Diabetics, please help!

Options
2»

Replies

• StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    Since your diary is not open, we can't really tell what you're eating.... but here are some tips:

1. Being insulin resistant makes it harder to lose weight -- and if you also have PCOS its close to the impossible range. If you also have peri-menopause... well life sucks but it can be done.

2. The TYPE of carbs makes a huge difference... get rid of potato chips, cake, cookies, donuts, pancakes, waffles etc... its the refined white flour that is the problem. Learn to eat lower glycemic carbs likes lentils, nuts, quinoa, millet, amaranth, greek yogurt etc.

3. Eat lots of lean protein (chicken, turkey, fish, tofu), stop buying processesd foods (lean cuisine, lunch meat etc) and load up on veggies. Some of my favorite meals incluce a big scoop of quinoa with kale, mushrooms, onions, tofu, chicken etc...

In order to stay feeling full, I drink protein shakes 2-3 times a day. A good whey protein isolate will have 0-3g carb, no fat, 03g sugar and 25+ grams of protein ---

NOTE: If you're using the default diary settings for MFP - please change them. They tell you to eat 55% carb and 15% protein -- which is completely ridiculous and pretty much opposite what works best for most - especially insulin resistant. I changed mine to 40% protein, 30% carb, 30% bat -- which still give you plenty of room for GOOD carbs without going all freaky ketosis range.

^^^^ This also!! I ended up doing pretty much the same thing. (cept for the tofu and quinoa stuff). I also have my settings set for 40, 30,30..
  • _LilPowerHouse
    _LilPowerHouse Posts: 365 Member
    Options
    My Doc. told me that diabetes is incurable but controllable, so if you got it under control your not cured nor are you considered to be a non diabetic.. because if you go back to eating like you were before then your Blood glucose numbers would remind you that you're still a Diabetic.. Congrats to all of those that have it under control.. Great Job.. =D
  • calliope_music
    calliope_music Posts: 1,242 Member
    Options
    the type and quantity of carbs could be a factor - are you weighing/measuring?

i was going to suggest this. good luck!
  • mikey1976
    mikey1976 Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    the best advise i can give you is stay on your meds watch what you eat and drink. most importantly get some exercise. once you get your weight going down the healthier you will be. i've been able to get off metformine, and the one for high blood pressure. you can do it just have faith and trust the doctor. but yeah do reaserach on sugar you will be surprised with how many names it has and what thing contain sugar. i hope this helps and by the way i am type 2
  • PattyRain
    PattyRain Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    Are all of your tests high or just some at certain times of the day? Which type of diabetic are you? Are you on oral meds or insulin? Do you find certain times of the day you run less high than others? Are you exercising now? What type of exercise? When? How long? All of that can make a difference and we can give better advice knowing these things.
  • mystikfairy61
    mystikfairy61 Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • mescle
    mescle Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Exercise is a must. My husband does much better with his Type 2 diabetes when he is able to get in some exercise.