Treadmill VS Elliptical

Options
Which gives you a better workout? I burn a few more calories on the Elliptical but for some reason I sweat way more on the treadmill.

Replies

• JSheehy1965
    JSheehy1965 Posts: 404
    Options
    I think the eliptical is a little less harsh on the old knees/hips as it's lower impact. I alternate at the moment. Am trying to train for a 5K 3 times/week on the treadmill and on the days in between I do the elliptical. The pounding on the treadmill can make my hips ache a little. And after all that, I probably didn't answer your question! :D
  • StrawberrySwag
    StrawberrySwag Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Well, from what I hear the elliptical is way better for you. You work more muscles, burn more calories and it is not as hard on your knees in the long run as the treadmill is. I just started using the elliptical and I actually sweat way more on it than the treadmill and I burn WAY more calories. I feel muscles in my body afterwards that I have not felt in a long time!:happy:
  • Dimplybutt
    Dimplybutt Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which gives a better work out but I find I can do the treadmill quite well but the elliptical kicks my buttocks! Obviously I stick with the treadmill. :smile:

.... the elliptical may be something I work towards, though, once I find the treadmill not doing it as much for me. :wink:
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Which gives you a better workout? I burn a few more calories on the Elliptical but for some reason I sweat way more on the treadmill.

Do you really burn more on the Elliptical, or does the machine tell you you do? Most likely if you find one harder then the other, you would be burning more calories on the harder one. My advise would be to get an HRM to get a better estimate of cals burned.
  • marieautumn
    marieautumn Posts: 932 Member
    Options
    i get tired way too fast on the elliptical...treadmill all the way for me.
  • barefoot76
    barefoot76 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Right now for me it is elliptical, but it used to be treadmill. I find that I have to switch it up every few months because my body gets used to certain machines/workouts. I had reached a plateau running, and my race season is over, so now I am doing mostly elliptical and stationary bike, and I'm seeing results again :-)
  • shnnd19
    shnnd19 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I like doing both, I usually do 25 mins on treadmill(running) 30 mins elipitical. I really think they both have their advantages & disadvantages.
  • gnrshelton
    gnrshelton Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    The elliptical is sopose to burn more calories. Can you adjust your elliptical to a harder workout? Maybe just use both. Alternate your workout.
  • shanae727
    shanae727 Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    Elliptical for sure! But I do intervals, switching resistance from 14-20 with ankle weights and weighted gloves. I just have a better balance on the elliptical than the treadmill. I feel like I'm going to fall flat on my face on the treadmill. If I want to run, I just run outside. :)

14370796.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • erickirb
    erickirb Posts: 12,293 Member
    Options
    Well, from what I hear the elliptical is way better for you. You work more muscles, burn more calories and it is not as hard on your knees in the long run as the treadmill is. I just started using the elliptical and I actually sweat way more on it than the treadmill and I burn WAY more calories. I feel muscles in my body afterwards that I have not felt in a long time!:happy:

Everything I heard is that the elliptical is inferior as the motion you use does not translate into the real world. Running walking and jogging (treadmill) all transfer to the real world and will help you improve in other aspects of life, whereas the elliptical may give you some more endurance but will only make you better at doing the elliptical.
  • applekoko19
    applekoko19 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    i think it depends on your body. I find the elliptical easier so I do it if I am in the gym because the treadmill scares me. I know i am more likely to keep it up if i enjoy it. However the one you find harder is probably better for you exercise-wise. The real question though is which are you more likely to do regularly?
  • sdrawkcabynot
    sdrawkcabynot Posts: 466 Member
    Options

Do you really burn more on the Elliptical, or does the machine tell you you do? Most likely if you find one harder then the other, you would be burning more calories on the harder one. My advise would be to get an HRM to get a better estimate of cals burned.

^^^ this! ^^^

I used to skip the treadmill because I thought I was burning more on the elliptical... once I got my HRM - I realized the elliptical was actually telling me more then I actually burned and the treadmill was a lot lower then I actually burn.

I swear by my Polar FT4 and strongly recommend it to anyone serious about fitness!
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options
    I always feel like I get a much better full body workout running on the treadmill. When I do the elliptical I get most of the workout on my *kitten* & thighs mostly because I do a double hill climb.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I say do the one you enjoy most. And, if possible, do a little of both for variety :smile:
  • AliciaBeth78
    AliciaBeth78 Posts: 437 Member
    Options
    I really thought I burned more on the elliptical, but then I bought a HRM. Now it just depends on the intensity of either... :)
  • megsmom2
    megsmom2 Posts: 2,362 Member
    Options
    I like the treadmill...I can "boogie" a bit to my music, and I like the motion. However...it hurts my knees, like to the point that I can't get down the stairs at the gym afterwards. (doesn't hurt while Im on the machine, just afterwards) The elliptical doesn't hurt my knees. I think part of it is being on a machine that matches your natural stride well....there are two elliptical types at my gym, but the other one that I don't use often just doesn't feel right, the stride length is off for me. The one I normally use I can go pretty hard and get a good workout, and not hurt anywhere afterwards.
  • donna9089
    donna9089 Posts: 87
    Options
    I actually use both. When I first started with the elliptical, I could barely manage 2-3 minutes. I can now do 20-25 without stopping. I have found that it has seemed to strengthen the weak area around my knee due to two surgeries. My knee now feels stronger and hurts less when the fronts come in. It does have a tendency to make my back sore. I think I must not be standing up straight while I am on it. I can walk on the treadmill all day long and never break a sweat even when it is cranked up. Needless to say, I cannot run on the treadmill yet without possibly doing damage. I cannot say the same for the elliptical, I sweat after 10-15 min! I feel like I am getting a better workout on the elliptical, but that is just what works for me.
  • newbs4
    newbs4 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure which gives a better work out but I find I can do the treadmill quite well but the elliptical kicks my buttocks! Obviously I stick with the treadmill. :smile:

.... the elliptical may be something I work towards, though, once I find the treadmill not doing it as much for me. :wink:

Agreed....I'd like to work out on the elliptical, but the longest I have ever been able to do is 15 minutes! It kicks my butt! I can't be doing anything wrong, can I? :(
  • saragato
    saragato Posts: 1,154
    Options
    I have to disagree with people who are saying the elliptical easier on the knees. The few times I've gotten on one, it's hurt my knees within the first minute and I can't stand it. But it may vary with height. I'm 5'2" and find I have to move my legs painfully high and low on it. I will have wobbly knees after getting off the treadmill, but after a 5 minute sit I'm good to go.
  • FORIANN
    FORIANN Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    The Elliptical burns more calories and is less wear on your joints. If your goal is cardiovascular health and calorie burn, then the elliptical is the way to go. :)

If you want to improve running....go run.