Nightly hunger problems

Options
Give me ideas on how to cure my nightly hunger problems, what foods work for you? What do you do to take your mind off the nightly munchies? etc.

Replies

• jessicacheesebrough
    Options
    Give me ideas on how to cure my nightly hunger problems, what foods work for you? What do you do to take your mind off the nightly munchies? etc.
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    I struggle with nighttime eating as well...this is why I choose to go to the gym at this time...usually working out at 7:00 or so....it proves that I am truly not hungry, just bored wanting to eat during these times....are you sure that you are hungry or just bored???
  • jessicacheesebrough
    Options
    It might be a little of both, I can't go to the gym after I get out of work because I don't get home until 11:30pm or 12am. Is there anything I can occupy myself with around that time that won't make a lot of noise to keep the boredom munchies away?
  • rowie
    rowie Posts: 75
    Options
    I have found that my night just isn't complete without dessert, something sweet. I buy bars or very dark chocolate, 70% or higher. I'll let myself have a square or two every night. Because it is so dark, if you eat it slowly, let little bites melt in your mouth, then by the time you're done with your little square you're satisfied. Dark chocolate, in moderation, is good for us, and nothing can substitiute when we want chocolate, so maybe try it. Really dark chocolate takes some getting used to, but think of it as a guiltless treat, enjoy it, and you'll never be satisfied with milk chocolate again. Plus it is something you can plan on every night, and look forward to, so you can restrain yourself from eating other stuff so you can have your chocolate.
    Having good protien and carbs with dinner works well for feeling full in the evening too. Whole Grains and legumes are good side dishes. Hope this helps a bit, good luck, we're all with you
  • dskline1
    dskline1 Posts: 123
    Options
    It might be a little of both, I can't go to the gym after I get out of work because I don't get home until 11:30pm or 12am. Is there anything I can occupy myself with around that time that won't make a lot of noise to keep the boredom munchies away?

hmmm....if you are truely hungry, than you should eat something....what rowie was saying about a lean protein/carb will do wonders....I find that a banana and natural pb work well to curb any cravings. But, as far as keeping you from munching.....maybe good ole pushups, crunches, squats to get your heartrate up and and your mind off of eating....how long are you usually awake once you get home in them weee hours of the morn? Also, take a gander at your diet throughout your day and make sure that you are getting enough protein, carbs and fat....or even enough calories for that matter. Some of the home workout videos can be done quietly (I take some camping with me - careful not to take anything too aggressive - can only imagine what people would think as they walk by and the camper is a shakin!! lol) Maybe yoga or pilates too - might even help you destress and sleep better.

Good luck!!!!
  • nikki4ever
    nikki4ever Posts: 116
    Options
    it happens to me too. But after I have dinner and one fruit, around 7:30 pm, I keep myself busy. Work on something, internet, watch a good movie etc. And if i am reaaally hungry, i have some strawberries or Jello sugar free. I just discovered the jello sugar free snacks and they have the dark chocolate flavoR!! yummy...
  • muimuimui
    muimuimui Posts: 113
    Options
    Go to sleep.

(Or. If its too early to sleep, do something that'll make you tired enough to go to sleep and forget that you're hungry. :3)
  • jessicacheesebrough
    Options
    Hmm, I think I'll try the peanut butter and banana, and I'll go out tomorrow and buy some dark chocolate (I have a big sweet tooth).

I'm up until about 2 in the morning, sometimes 3.
  • jessicacheesebrough
    Options
    Thanks guys :]