Help!! hard time eating right

Options
Happy916
Happy916 Posts: 29 Member
Hey guys so heres my dilemma. I have no idea how to cook or shop for healthy food. I have a hard time planning. I have to shop for the whole household and a lot of the things i need to buy i only eat and I can't be buying seperate food for me and my husband. My husband is supportive of me losing weight, but he doesnt necessarirly want to eat what I do. (He's one of the lucky ones that can eat and never gain. I hate him. :angry: lol) How do some of you manage to shop and get things that everyone will eat but are also good for your weight loss? I'm pretty sure it's simple but for some reason meal planning and things like that come hard for me. Thanks!!!

Replies

• melsinct
    melsinct Posts: 3,512 Member
    Options
    I just eat smaller portions of what my husband eats so there aren't separate meals being cooked. There are a lot of family friendly recipes on Skinnytaste.com and EatingWell.com that will shave calories without the rest of the family "suffering."
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    Hey guys so heres my dilemma. I have no idea how to cook or shop for healthy food. I have a hard time planning. I have to shop for the whole household and a lot of the things i need to buy i only eat and I can't be buying seperate food for me and my husband. My husband is supportive of me losing weight, but he doesnt necessarirly want to eat what I do. (He's one of the lucky ones that can eat and never gain. I hate him. :angry: lol) How do some of you manage to shop and get things that everyone will eat but are also good for your weight loss? I'm pretty sure it's simple but for some reason meal planning and things like that come hard for me. Thanks!!!

It's not totally simple! I buy health food for myself and also buy some food my husband will eat. Luckily, he eats almost anything I buy but not alot of my food :) The money part stinks but I do it anyway! If you want to eat healthy then you do what you have to do! Maybe make healthier meals that your huband will eat also. My advice to you is focus on vegetables, fruit, and grains. Do NOT buy white bread, pasta, or anything else white!! Certain soups are healthy also, which you can buy or make! So any topics on here will provide good advice on health food!
  • Filatina
    Filatina Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Girl, you are speaking my life story! LOL...You know honestly, yes, portion size is most important, but what I started doing is just slowly introducing healthier things into our diet. Like turkey bacon instead of actual bacon, mix brown rice with white rice, grilling vs. frying (i.e. foreman grill).. It definitely took baby steps. Even though your hubby is blessed, as most men are, and can eat tons without gaining weight, it wouldn't hurt to be healthy. Did you know even the skinniest people are not getting proper nutrition?

Oh and about buying separate things, I too had that same problem, but remember that your health is a good investment...it wont hurt to just spend a few extra bucks to buy a salad mix or greek yogurt, even if it is just for yourself! I am a huggge carb lover and have to eat pasta weekly, but if I make myself a salad to eat before my pasta dinner, I don't eat as much pasta :) I have also forgone eating rolls with my pasta :)

You are doing amazing! & I am so so proud of you! Remember not to go too hard on yourself because there will be more chance of weight rebound... Fell free to have a fattening treat once in a while, just know that you'll have to do a workout to make up for it (that you already do!:) )... Society has made food a social event and you don't wanna have to disclude yourself all the time...Just do what you can, but don't become a "food nazi" ;P ♥
  • LJC44
    LJC44 Posts: 221
    Options
    Girl, you are speaking my life story! LOL...You know honestly, yes, portion size is most important, but what I started doing is just slowly introducing healthier things into our diet. Like turkey bacon instead of actual bacon, mix brown rice with white rice, grilling vs. frying (i.e. foreman grill).. It definitely took baby steps. Even though your hubby is blessed, as most men are, and can eat tons without gaining weight, it wouldn't hurt to be healthy. Did you know even the skinniest people are not getting proper nutrition?

Oh and about buying separate things, I too had that same problem, but remember that your health is a good investment...it wont hurt to just spend a few extra bucks to buy a salad mix or greek yogurt, even if it is just for yourself! I am a huggge carb lover and have to eat pasta weekly, but if I make myself a salad to eat before my pasta dinner, I don't eat as much pasta :) I have also forgone eating rolls with my pasta :)

You are doing amazing! & I am so so proud of you! Remember not to go too hard on yourself because there will be more chance of weight rebound... Fell free to have a fattening treat once in a while, just know that you'll have to do a workout to make up for it (that you already do!:) )... Society has made food a social event and you don't wanna have to disclude yourself all the time...Just do what you can, but don't become a "food nazi" ;P ♥

Good advice!!
  • Happy916
    Happy916 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I have an idea on what I need to do. Wish me luck!