Because I need brutal honesty, I have a confession...

Options
I have only been on MFP and logging my food religiously for about a month.

I try to eat better than I had before MFP, but can only manage around 800-1000 calories per day. After reading numerous threads about calories and exercise, I made it my mission to get as close to 1200 (as recommended by MFP) as I possibly could. So in essence, I upped my calories by up to 400 per day. On days (usually weekends) when I tend to be too busy to think about it, I slip a little on my water intake, but I try to get in 64 ounces normally.

I try to go to the gym and do 30-60 minutes of cardio 3-5 days a week, but as life would have it, sometimes that becomes a challenge! I am also trying to incorporate some strength training as well, but that has only been within the last week or so. I have not eaten back any of my workout calories, if that is important.

On 3/2 or 3/3 (can't remember exactly) I took the "March no scale challenge". 2 days later, I decided to up my calories. As curiosity would have it, I "peeked" at my weight a couple of days ago :blushing: (after being soooo good for 2 whole weeks) to find that I gained a pound!!

Is it normal to gain weight after consuming more calories and do I need to consume MORE than 1200, STILL? I'm afraid to see what the scale has to say if I eat more than 1200! My diary is usually only open to my friends, but I will (for a limited time only) open it up to everyone so that I may get some suggestions as to what I need to change about my diet to better my results. Maybe I just need to give it a little more time...

Any and all suggestions are welcome!! Please help!

Replies

• kimgravel
    kimgravel Posts: 32
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but 800 is really really low (I don't know how much you weigh though). Perhaps your body was in starvation mode, and now that you're feeding it more, it's holding on to it because it thinks you'll start starving it again. I definitely wouldn't lower your calories anymore. When you're body realizes that you're not going to stop giving it the calories it needs, I think it will stop holding on to the ones that you're giving it.

I'd love to see your diary to see what you've been eating.
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    I'm by no means an expert, but 800 is really really low (I don't know how much you weigh though). Perhaps your body was in starvation mode, and now that you're feeding it more, it's holding on to it because it thinks you'll start starving it again. I definitely wouldn't lower your calories anymore. When you're body realizes that you're not going to stop giving it the calories it needs, I think it will stop holding on to the ones that you're giving it.

I'd love to see your diary to see what you've been eating.

I am currently 134 and eating roughly 1200 per day for the past 2 weeks. My diary is wide open if you'd like to take a look.
  • ericarae33
    ericarae33 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm new here but started working out 6 weeks ago with a trainer, and I was 135lbs 5'3, I was advised to eat 1300 calories, so I normally don't eat back my work out calories, just because my trainer wants me to stay at 1300 for now. I do Cardio for 20 min 3x a week and weights 3x a week...I am now at 129.
    I would suggest eating more for sure. Try to make your snacks with more filling things to add calories, peanut butter, nuts, etc. What about protein shakes? I go over a couple times a week....but maybe it will give you some suggestions?

My diary is open if you'd like to look.
  • kimgravel
    kimgravel Posts: 32
    Options
    I just took a look at what you were eating a few weeks ago, compared to what you're eating now, and I think you're definitely on the right track. I'd still up your calories a bit though. Especially on the days when you're exercising. You should be aiming to eat at lease 1,200 net calories. If I could, I'd put money on the fact that your body is probably storing the cals that you're giving it just incase you "starve" it again.
  • joymechelle99
    joymechelle99 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I wonder why they say to eat back your work out calories, I dont do that either.
  • canroadrunner
    canroadrunner Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    On the days you exercise you are eating 1200 calories but you aren't netting 1200 calories - in other words, your diary doesn't show you as eating back your exercise calories. That means on the days you exercise you are not getting enough food to reach your goal of eating more than 800 calories.
  • JoshNap
    JoshNap Posts: 1
    Options
    They say to eat back your workout calories because MFP already puts you at a deficit to lose whatever your goal weight is for a week.
  • donna_glasgow
    donna_glasgow Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    I (when I joined) was eating on average 850 cals a day .... some days Id drop to around 600 and lower, on the weekends my cals would hit 1200 )due to alcohol) ... I have recently (about 10 days ago )upped my cals to 1200 as I knew in the long run what I was doing would not be healthy ............... I was frightened of the scales starting to go up, so I added more exercise, my weight is continuing downwards...... I am aiming to up my cals again but not for a month or so ... Id rather add slowly and keep getting a loss that add quickly and get a gain ...... I don't eat back exercise cals back...
  • JAllen32
    JAllen32 Posts: 991 Member
    Options
    I wonder why they say to eat back your work out calories, I dont do that either.
    The reason is this, your body needs the 1200 cals for fuel. So if you eat 1200 and burn 300, your body is only actually getting 900 cals. So its not going to be properly fueled, that makes it hard for it to let go of the weight. Of course that is the most basic explaination, I like simple. lol
  • fittiephd
    fittiephd Posts: 608 Member
    Options
    I agree that on days you exercise you should try to eat back most of your exercise calories so that your NET (ie calories consumed-calories exercised) is over 1200.

Just give it a few more weeks. Don't go back below 1200!! :)
  • sjp0278
    sjp0278 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    hello my name is stacey and I have been on the site since feburary and I am not losing like I think I should be I am going to the gym three times a week and I am really trying is there fellow mfp that can look at my food diary and give me some advise. Thanks
  • helenium
    helenium Posts: 546 Member
    Options
    - I ate 700 calories a day for two months
    - Lost 20 lbs and then stalled
    - Realised it was stupid and went up to 1200 calories
    - Gained 5 lbs over 3 weeks. Didn't panic.
    - Lost 25 lbs in a few months eating 1300 calories
    - Reached and surpassed goal weight

Just wait for it...
  • Naominjw
    Naominjw Posts: 8
    Options
    I just looked at a few random days. Just from knowing how my body works, I would need a lot more fiber, more protein, and less carbs - More whole foods. But that's me.
  • stormieweather
    stormieweather Posts: 2,549 Member
    Options
    It takes 2-3 weeks for my efforts to be reflected on a scale. I go in spits and spurts...nothing, nothing, nothing, then BAM...a loss. So be patient and give it at least 6 weeks before you decide it's not working.

And be sure that a) you are fueling your body adequately (eating enough) and b) being accurate in your logging-no cheats or munchies or guessing. If you are being accurate, and you are patient, weight loss WILL happen.
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I hit a plateau because I was inadvertently starving myself in order to accelerate the weight loss:

Weight_Loss.jpg

Upping my intake broke me out of it, though I usually leave about 500 calories on the table to account for inaccuracies in calorie counting etc. It's hard to understand that you have to eat to lose, but it's true.
  • Nikkie_too
    Nikkie_too Posts: 495 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert... not by a long shot. I only peeked through a few days of your diary. Prepared foods - especially soups - are sodium bombs. You might want to change your diary settings to show sodium and have a look at that.

Sodium can make you retain water - especially if you're not drinking a whole lot (and maybe even more than the 8 glasses recommended on high-sodium days).
  • Chipmaniac
    Chipmaniac Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    I'm no expert... not by a long shot. I only peeked through a few days of your diary. Prepared foods - especially soups - are sodium bombs. You might want to change your diary settings to show sodium and have a look at that.

Sodium can make you retain water - especially if you're not drinking a whole lot (and maybe even more than the 8 glasses recommended on high-sodium days).
    High sodium is certainly not great for long-term health, especially for those prone to hypertension. It also does cause you to retain water. However, it wouldn't explain a long-term lack of weight loss. You can only retain so much water in your tissues. Eventually, you'd reach a saturation point and you'd expect to see normal weight loss at that point. In other words, there is likely to be a maximum amount of weight you'll retain due to sodium. If you always eat high sodium then you will always retain that amount but it should represent a fixed portion of your weight makeup at that point.
  • sjp0278
    sjp0278 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    How do you change your setting to show sodium?
  • c8linmarie
    c8linmarie Posts: 358 Member
    Options