Help Understanding

So, I was on an under 1200 calorie a day diet and realized (through the help of this forum) that I wasn't eating enough for weight loss. So, last Tuesday I increased my caloric intake to what is recommended for me to lose 1 lb. a week. I fully expected to see an increase in weight before losing anything as my body adapts to the new diet. And, yes, I had gained a pound as of Saturday morning.

But, over the weekend I did an 11 mile hike with a 35 lb. pack. I did 8 miles on Saturday and 3 miles on Sunday. I increased my caloric intake as I knew I would be burning a ton of calories. My food profile is public if you want to check it out. I get on the scale this morning and I am up 5 lbs. from Saturday.

Please help me understand how this happens.

Replies

• First, I am seeing a lot of processed foods. Some fruit and veg sprinkled throughout but not enough. Second, you may be retaining a lot of water from the intense workout. Give it a week or so and see if things don't calm down. People don't understand that if your body is inflamed that can have an effect as well. Make sure you are drinking lots of water and stay away from caffeine.
  • ainzerillo
    ainzerillo Posts: 27 Member
    Thank you! I also modified my diary to track sodium. Found out I was WAY over my limit for the day. To the tune of -1754. That might explain some as well. Will pound the water for the next few days as I return to my normal work out routine. I skipped my work out this am as I was too sore.
  • sounds like a good plan :)