fruit

Options
I'm sure I may catch flack from this post but I have seen a few times people saying you are eating too much fruit. I can't agree with that. I may be new to this site but I have been back and forth in this weight loss battle and I was in a program once where a nutritionist said "none of you are here because you ate too much fruit". Anybody agree?

Replies

• kellyhumphrey
    kellyhumphrey Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I'm curious about this also.. I know that some diabetics have to be careful with fruit intake.

My feeling though... is that calories are calories. If you eat so much fruit that you are over your calorie intake you will still gain weight.... right?? I've always been a huge fruit eater, but I would to eat a ton at a time. Like a full bowl of canteloupe (which is hundreds of calories)..
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    If you're diabetic, you could be eating too much fruit. Otherwise, it's better for you than the other sweet things you'd probably eat instead.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    but fruit is good for people....unless like you said you are a diabetic. I know im not in the situation I am in due to too much fruit....or corn :tongue:
  • SMarie10
    SMarie10 Posts: 956 Member
    Options
    Although some will say differently - I don't think it matters what you eat, be it fruit, veges or oreos. It all comes down to you total net calories. You could eat fruit all day and shouldn't matter. I do realize there are some people with medical issues, be it diabetes, glutten allergy or lactose intollerance that do need to monitor the type of food they eat, but there shouldn't be any issues with fruit.
  • carlageek
    carlageek Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I have eaten a lot of fruit throughout my weight loss process. By "a lot", I mean up to 5 pieces of fruit a day - usually 2-3 apples, a banana, and an orange (though sometimes other types of fruits also).

For myself I have always agreed with what the OP said, that I didn't get fat by eating too much fruit.

However, I do have to count the calories in fruit, because all those fruits add up.

And, lately, because I am very close to being done actively losing weight and want to focus more on body composition, I have been thinking about ways to replace 1-2 of those daily fruit servings with something else that has more protein.

To sum up, all other things being equal (i.e., no diabetes, PCOS, or other reasons to follow a lower-carb regimen), then it is certainly possible to lose weight while eating a significant amount of fruit! Try it for a while and see how it works for you - that is really the only way to know, do the science experiment on your own body.
  • sportyskylar
    Options
    Some fruits have a lot of sugar.I like to stick to blueberries and raspberries!
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    "none of you are here because you ate too much fruit".

I love that line.
    Although some will say differently - I don't think it matters what you eat, be it fruit, veges or oreos. It all comes down to you total net calories. You could eat fruit all day and shouldn't matter. I do realize there are some people with medical issues, be it diabetes, glutten allergy or lactose intollerance that do need to monitor the type of food they eat, but there shouldn't be any issues with fruit.

In terms of weight loss I'd agree, a calorie is a calorie (remember the Twinkie diet! :happy: ) but in terms of good health it does. You could get all of your calories form oreos (I know they're full of fat, do they contain any protein?) and, I would hazard a guess, feel like total crap in a very short time whereas fruits are full of other things that are good for you (vitamins, minerals, fibre, anti-oxidants etc)
  • bfbooty
    bfbooty Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    well some weight loss programs e.g weight watchers allow you to eat unlimited fruits and veg and people are losing weight in these programs too - so I don't think that you could eat too much fruit, I think i you were eating lots of fruit your eating less of something else so probably balances out a bit?? I know it does with me anyway I'd eat 2-4 peaces of fruit a day where before I started on this journey I wasn't eating any and snacking on the odd cookie here and there or eating a packet of crisps or some chocolate, I am staying well clear of all that stuff now and I am losing weight and I am sure if I upped my fruit some more i'd still lose weight
    as far as I understand it although there's a lot of sugar in some fruits it's natural so the body will digest it easier and quicker so I don;t think the body stores it the same way as processed sugars iykwim
  • StartingAnewDay
    StartingAnewDay Posts: 319 Member
    Options
    I'm sure I may catch flack from this post but I have seen a few times people saying you are eating too much fruit. I can't agree with that. I may be new to this site but I have been back and forth in this weight loss battle and I was in a program once where a nutritionist said "none of you are here because you ate too much fruit". Anybody agree?

I LOVE fruit!! I mean everything in moderation i guess, but I can eat a half watermelon a day! (and often do!!) I say enjoy!!
  • ahealthy4u
    ahealthy4u Posts: 442 Member
    Options

Fruit is good to a degree we are to eat on an average 7 servings of fruits and vegetables but together do we do it no. That is why there are products out there that help us with that. Can we eat too much fruit yes and that will cause issues as well such as swollen feet. I know with some people who are diabetic they have to watch what they eat with fruit for it can play upon their numbers in the sugar department. All and all it is the individual person who needs to make that choice of how they want to eat their fruit in my book.
  • shine_
    shine_ Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    It's one of those "whatever works best for YOU" situations I think. I have PCOS so to me it's key to avoid food with a high glycemic index and a lot of fruit does fall into that category - pineapple, mango, banana for example. For someone else, without any medical reason to stay low GI/low (fast) carbs might choose to eat a lot of fruit because it is a good alternative to whatever they would have otherwise picked up for a snack/sugar fix. No need to worry about fruit if you've found that you don't need to restrict it - I wish I didn't have to, I love fruit! So if you don't have to, you're still losing just fine and you feel like you would be miserable without or even that you're benefiting from it then don't worry about the people that say to cut fruit out. If you on the other hand really struggle and want to try to eat low GI to see if that helps then it would be a good idea to have a look at the amount of fruit you eat.

It's one of those personal things. :) We are all different. We all had different journeys to get here, and everyone will have their own journey back to health and fitness too.
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    I have a friend that lives on nothing but fruits, veggies and protein. She last lost over 30% of her original body weight in a year by doing this with a little exercise thrown in. Hasn't done her any harm. (She wore a UK size 28 which is a US 26)
  • Birder150
    Birder150 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I have no health issues that require me to monitor my sugars.
    I love fruit and eat about 4-5 servings a day.

For instance, today I will have:
    1 banana
    cherries
    3 berry mix: raspberries, blueberries, blackberries
    mango

Eating fruit has never inhibited weight loss for me.
    Eating too much food overall has been the problem.
  • 77tes
    77tes Posts: 8,024 Member
    Options
    I was limiting my fruits because I absolutely LOVE fruit, and will eat 3 pounds of grapes at a sitting. Recently a group I was in had a fruit challenge in which we got points for eating fruit and for trying a new fruit. That challenge got me back to eating fruit, but just limiting my quantities, and I love it. I like what your trainer said: "Nobody got fat eating fruit."
  • judybrim
    judybrim Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm definitely not an expert, but I've upped my fruits a lot...moreso than my veggies and I've lost over 40 lbs over the last 6 mos. I believe in the basic calories burned must be more than calories in! Like suggested earlier, try it and see how your body reacts. Good luck and keep on the path! :D .....Judy
  • nikkijoshua
    nikkijoshua Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    I agree. I love fruit. It's my favorite thing to eat. I add them to my food diary so I'm counting the calories I consume with the fruit I eat. I love days that I have big calories burns because it means to me that I can eat back alot of my exercise calories in fruit; therfore, I can eat a whole lot of fruit on those days. Of course, if I was diabetic, I would have to scale back on the amount of fruit I eat, but I'm not so I don't worry about. The fiber in the fruit helps to regulate how much sugar enters the blood at a time so it doesn't spike the blood sugar like other sugary foods. Fruit has too many health benefits to avoid it.
  • sjeagle30
    sjeagle30 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    Good. Im glad to see everyone here pretty much agrees with this!! I love fruit, especially in the summer months!
  • mstemen
    mstemen Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    I love fruit and have eaten it since day 1 and I'm losing at a steady pace. Fruit, although it does contain sugar, it's complex sugar which takes longer to digest. As far as being diabetic, my husband is a diabetic and he eats fruit. He has to be more careful with carbs which turn into sugar in the body. If he's feeling like his sugars are low though he'll either eat an orange or drink some orange juice.
  • niftyafterfifty
    niftyafterfifty Posts: 338 Member
    Options
    Some doctors, such as Joseph Mercola, believe that all fructose (including those in fruits) should be eaten in moderation. He has a glycemic index to help keep fructose consumption within a certain range. I, personally, don't believe any food should be forbidden. Moderation is the key; none of us got here by eating moderately.