Cleansing/Detox Drinks

Options
Does anyone know of any good cleansing drinks or detox drinks?

Replies

• lizard053
    lizard053 Posts: 2,344 Member
    Options
    Water.

No really, good old plain water is probably the best thing for detoxing your system. Drink enough of it and you'll see just how good!

Adding more: Your liver and kidneys are really really really good at cleaning out any toxins in your blood. If you give your body plenty of water as well, they work even better. Try drinking a gallon of water for 2 days. It truly will cleanse your system! Combined with eating healthy, you should get a jump start on your weight loss.
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cleanse or detox?

Like lizard053 said water is the best. Nothing better. Our bodies don't store tons of imaginary toxins that we need to detox to get rid of. Healthy foods, exercise and lots of water will do the trick.
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of the Isagenix 9 day cleanse - I have heard amazing things about it. My friend just finished and lost 13 lbs and 16 inches during her clease. It is expensive but totally worth it if it really works, I have been at a plateau since Nov so I am using as a way to get over my plateau and don't see myself doing it for a long period of time (although if it works I will probably do another clean in July/August before my cousins wedding.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    Options
    Water.

No really, good old plain water is probably the best thing for detoxing your system. Drink enough of it and you'll see just how good!

Ditto
  • LindseyDD
    LindseyDD Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    I am on day 2 of the Isagenix 9 day cleanse - I have heard amazing things about it. My friend just finished and lost 13 lbs and 16 inches during her clease. It is expensive but totally worth it if it really works, I have been at a plateau since Nov so I am using as a way to get over my plateau and don't see myself doing it for a long period of time (although if it works I will probably do another clean in July/August before my cousins wedding.
  • radiva1
    radiva1 Posts: 27
    Options
    Detox drink

1 cup of water
    1 Tsp. Psyllium Husk powder
    1 Tsp. Bentonite Clay

Psyllium and Bentonite clay don't mix well with water, so shake up the mixture for a few seconds then quickly drink it before it settles. Drink another extra-large glass of water immediately after. Both these ingredients are great for detox. The Bentonite clay soaks up toxins, and the Psyllium pushes waste matter out through your colon.
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Detox drink

1 cup of water
    1 Tsp. Bentonite Clay

Psyllium and Bentonite clay don't mix well with water, so shake up the mixture for a few seconds then quickly drink it before it settles. Drink another extra-large glass of water immediately after. Both these ingredients are great for detox. The Bentonite clay soaks up toxins, and the Psyllium pushes waste matter out through your colon.

That sounds... horrible.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Why do you want to cleanse or detox?

Like lizard053 said water is the best. Nothing better. Our bodies don't store tons of imaginary toxins that we need to detox to get rid of. Healthy foods, exercise and lots of water will do the trick.

Do more research, toxins are not "imaginary".

If you spend enough years eating nothing but crappy processed foods, it does put "crap" into your system.

A good thing to use for a cleanse is 100% homemade fruit/veggie juice and smoothies. Buy a good juicer and make your own fruit and veggie juices and use a blender to make smoothies. Look online and you can find a ton of recipes.

One of my favorites is one I call "Green Slime"

Green Slime:

1 Orange, peeled.
    2 Bananas
    2 Kale Leaves torn to pieces
    1/4 cup Unsweetened Almond Milk
    3-5 Ice cubes.

Blend the orange and almond milk first. Then add the kale leaves and blend. Add the bananas next and blend, then add the icecubes at the very end!

I make one for breakfast now every morning!

Basically when you do a cleanse you want to eat fresh fruits and veggies and preferabbly as a smoothie or as juice because it makes it that much easier for your body to absorb the good stuff. It allows your body to sort of "take a break" and just absorb the nutrients it needs rather than having to work super hard to get them (like it does with crappy processed foods).
  • MrDude_1
    MrDude_1 Posts: 2,510 Member
    Options

Anytime anyone uses the term "toxins" for whats in your body...
    Consider them a poor source for advice.

If they really knew what they were talking about, they would use the name of the "toxin" not just a generic word for "bad stuff"
  • mallory3411
    mallory3411 Posts: 839 Member
    Options
    Your liver and kidneys are great for cleansing and detoxing. No need for fads, pills, gross cocktails, shakes etc.
  • LuckyLeprechaun
    LuckyLeprechaun Posts: 6,296 Member
    Options
    Detox drink

1 cup of water
    1 Tsp. Bentonite Clay

That sounds... horrible.

mixing clay with water usually results in making....mud.
    I shall not ingest mud.

My wonderful liver and kidneys will do a great job with just the water. Keep the mud makin's for the playground.
  • doubglass
    doubglass Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    water-- your liver and kidneys cleanse. Cleansing drinks are a SCAM
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Also green tea!

And as others have said, water, but I figured that was a given.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Detox drink

1 cup of water
    1 Tsp. Bentonite Clay

That sounds... horrible.
    Husks and dirt, mixed with water? Isn't that mud? Yum! (I assume this means I can substitute mudslides for this recipe.)
  • p0pr0cksnc0ke
    p0pr0cksnc0ke Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Detox drink

1 cup of water
    1 Tsp. Bentonite Clay

That sounds... horrible.

mixing clay with water usually results in making....mud.
    I shall not ingest mud.

My wonderful liver and kidneys will do a great job with just the water. Keep the mud makin's for the playground.

That was EXACTLY what I was thinking.. that sounds like you are drinking rocks and mud. No thanks.
    First, the rocks go into the intestines to clean em out then the mud sludge comes through and washes it all out. YUM!
  • lizard053
    Options

Anytime anyone uses the term "toxins" for whats in your body...
    Consider them a poor source for advice.

If they really knew what they were talking about, they would use the name of the "toxin" not just a generic word for "bad stuff"
    "Toxins" such as triglycerides, alcohols, formaldehyde, fermented food, pesticides, preservatives are all sorted out by your body. It's a generic word for all the nasties I know the names of but no one would understand. Very chem-geek.

I'll keep harping on it. Your body is excellent at cleansing if you give it the right stuff. Healthy foods and tons of water is all you need. No need to spend $100's on detoxes and cleanses that really don't do any better!
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options

Can you please name some toxins that build up in your system, that cannot be cleansed by your body?
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'll keep harping on it. Your body is excellent at cleansing if you give it the right stuff. Healthy foods and tons of water is all you need. No need to spend $100's on detoxes and cleanses that really don't do any better!

^ This.
  • lizard053
    Options

Can you please name some toxins that build up in your system, that cannot be cleansed by your body?

I just did.

(Edit - I sound rather cranky. I'm not! Really! :blushing: )
  • kunibob
    kunibob Posts: 608 Member
    Options

I'll help you harp on it.

The whole "cleanse" thing is built on pseudoscience.