What to do, what to do

Options
When I put my stats into MFP, it says I should eat 1200 cals/day to lose 1.3 lbs/week.

BUT if I calculate my BMR and daily caloric needs based on myactivity level using the Harris Benedict Equation (input: my gender, age, height and weight) it comes up: 1574. Then I configure in that I'm moderately active (burn about 3000 cals/week), I'm up to 2164 cals/day, less 500 to lose weight instead of maintaining and I'm at 1664. A considerable difference from MFP suggestion.

I guess now that I look at it, the MFP suggestion is base without the exercise calories added in and maybe the BMR calculation with the Harris Bendict Equation.

I'm running in circles, aren't I? I should aim to eat 1200 calories plus the exercise calories. End of story.

Or is it?

H E L P!

Replies

• truelypinkthing
    truelypinkthing Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I'd try 1200 for a month and see how you get on.
  • Reckabek
    Reckabek Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    Lol confusing hu! I did my calculations to and i was at 1446 without excersise to lose! I just do the MFP 1220 and eat back as much excersise cals as possible. And if i go over im ok with that!
  • RunHardBeStrong
    RunHardBeStrong Posts: 33,069 Member
    Options
    MFP doesn't have your exercise calories added in. I honestly eat 1800+ cals per day after exercise and lose at least 1 lb a week for the last 101 lbs. I'm getting close to goal and keep waiting for the loss to slow but it hasn't. So yes my advice eat most of your exercise cals. Keep a small cushion if you're not comfy eating all of them. Try that for 3-4 weeks and if you're not getting results, re-adjust. Good luck!
  • A_Fit_Mom
    A_Fit_Mom Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Why don't you eat in the middle and have 1300-1400 calories a day? See how that goes for a month.
  • misslissa121
    Options
    MFP is calculated with a deficient, then you eat back your exercise calories. I am on 1200, with todays excercise I am up to 2000 calories. Some people eat none of their exercise calories back, some swear to eat all of them, I aim to eat about 60% of them.

16025132.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • Shayztar
    Shayztar Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Myfitnesspal is great, but it's a computer. It takes values and spits out numbers. 1200 cals might not work for you. I heard recently that 1200 calories is the bare minimum a human should consume in order to receive basic nutrition to exist. I was eating 1200 and plateaued after less than 2 months. Lost weight like gangbusters at first, but I noticed negative consequences. I also felt I needed to excessively exercise just to eat the same amount of food as my toddler!! Once I did what you did (calculate BMR and TDEE and reduced by 20%) I started eating more and started losing weight again.

Some people swear by the 1200 calories. Others swear by eating more and losing less per week. If you can lose weight both ways, what would you rather? I'd rather eat and have energy for my babies and still lose weight.

If you are really and truly confused, seek professional help, nutritionist or doctor what have you. :)
  • dorktaped
    dorktaped Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump!

Some of the numbers get so confusing and a good explanation would be great!!
    My numbers are closer 1530 with the equation to 1500 from MFP but I try to stay under that, which is not working out for me so far...
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I would go higher. I know that last year when I was very stuck, I upped my calories since I was doing a lot of working out. That's when the scale started moving. I would say between your higher two amounts should work.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    stacyjbaker1010 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I'm going to settle them at 1450. I should eat the calories when I burn them still, right?

I do have an appointment with my primary in two weeks.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,402 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Unless you are obese, then you want to eat closer to your BMR or you will slow down your metabolic rate. But there are two methods, one include exercise into your TDEE calculation or eat back exercise calories. IF MFP estimates your exercise calories, then eat 50-75% of the calories.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    Options
    Unless you are obese, then you want to eat closer to your BMR or you will slow down your metabolic rate. But there are two methods, one include exercise into your TDEE calculation or eat back exercise calories. IF MFP estimates your exercise calories, then eat 50-75% of the calories.

My BMI is 34.
  • psuLemon
    Options
    I'm going to settle them at 1450. I should eat the calories when I burn them still, right?

I do have an appointment with my primary in two weeks.
    One last thing, most doctors don't have a background in nutrition, so it might be better to talk to a nutritionist or dietician. Many doctors only take 2 nutrition classes in the beginning. But you can figure out if they know anything is you start to ask about BMR and TDEE.
  • psuLemon
    Options

My BMI is 34.

I would eat closer to your BMR. If you want, I can show you what your caloric needs are if you provide your workout schedule and daily lifestyle (desk job, nurse, etc..)
  • stacyjbaker1010
    Options
    Because I"ve gotten myself alllllllllllllll confused.

I pulled this from www.cordianet.com

Caloric Need:

Estimated Base BMR: 1279 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 1983 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1483 Calories

If I make my target 1483 cals/day, I will have a weight loss weekly. I do NOT have to eat my calories, right?
  • ladyraven68
    ladyraven68 Posts: 2,003 Member
    Options
    When I put my stats into MFP, it says I should eat 1200 cals/day to lose 1.3 lbs/week.

BUT if I calculate my BMR and daily caloric needs based on myactivity level using the Harris Benedict Equation (input: my gender, age, height and weight) it comes up: 1574. Then I configure in that I'm moderately active (burn about 3000 cals/week), I'm up to 2164 cals/day, less 500 to lose weight instead of maintaining and I'm at 1664. A considerable difference from MFP suggestion.

I guess now that I look at it, the MFP suggestion is base without the exercise calories added in and maybe the BMR calculation with the Harris Bendict Equation.

I'm running in circles, aren't I? I should aim to eat 1200 calories plus the exercise calories. End of story.

Or is it?

H E L P!

Personally I'd go for the TDEE - 15/20%, but not lower than BMR
  • sunshine421969
    sunshine421969 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I tried 1200 for about 2 months..it didn't work for me..I upped mine to 1800 then back down to 1600..somewhere in between I usually hit about 1500..it all depends on my workouts..But try one for a month and switch it up..see whats best for you..you have to have enough calories to lose weight,but to many you will not lose..I just started the 1500 a week ago to see how I do for a month..I wish you the best in your journey,,,:flowerforyou:
  • stacyjbaker1010
    Options

My BMI is 34.

I would eat closer to your BMR. If you want, I can show you what your caloric needs are if you provide your workout schedule and daily lifestyle (desk job, nurse, etc..)

psulemon: I sent you a request. Thanks so much!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,087 Member
    Options
    Because I"ve gotten myself alllllllllllllll confused.

I pulled this from www.cordianet.com

Caloric Need:

Estimated Base BMR: 1279 Calories.
    Estimated TDEE: 1983 Calories.
    Estimated Daily Caloric Need For Weight Loss: 1483 Calories

If I make my target 1483 cals/day, I will have a weight loss weekly. I do NOT have to eat my calories, right?

Eat the 1483 and if you exercise, eat 1700-2000.....assuming one hour of aerobic exercise. This site figures all this for you if you set a realistic goal. If you are going by your own numbers, then try it for a month, see if it works, if it doesn't then reevaluate.
  • stacyjbaker1010
    Options
    [/quote]

Personally I'd go for the TDEE - 15/20%, but not lower than BMR
    [/quote]

So that would be around 1685. Which is the number I seem to keep circling around.
  • KellyKAG
    KellyKAG Posts: 418
    Options
    bump