Planet Fitness...do you tan before or after your workout?

Options

Replies

• Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Sorry guys! Totally been out of the MFP loop since ive been pregnant, but i just wanted to update and answer my own question :)

(before getting pregnant) I ended up doing my workout and as a treat i would tan afterwards.

It very stress reducing to me and always relaxes me...so much i could fall asleep! but that also means i dont want to work out after a tan session, so after a few tries with that i swtiched to only working out and then tanning (if i decided to tan). I did limit the amount of time/session per week in the bed, but it worked really well to do it following a workout. It gave me something to push myself for during my workout and then once i got in there it gave me a chance to relax, which is also nice after a workout. the heat felt really good on my muscles too. i thought i wouldn't like doing it that way. i figured it would be far to hot and disgusting post workout, but they have lots of fans in there and actually it cooled me right down. so that wasn't an issue at all.
  • BeachIron
    BeachIron Posts: 6,490 Member
    Options
    I lift first, do cardio if scheduled second, and then tan next the pool with a beer.
  • Jersey_Devil
    Jersey_Devil Posts: 4,142 Member
    Options
    this really isnt a Planet Fitness thread.
    Having said that, and not being a member of Planet Fitness- definitely tan AFTER working out. It's a reward. The main reason for a gym is to exercise. Anything else is secondary.
  • agirlscamaro
    agirlscamaro Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I prefer to tan after working out. When I tan before I turn even more red than normal. I've only been tanning for a couple weeks (2-3x week).
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    tanning beds in Australia have just about been made illegal (some states have done so and others are soon to follow) due to it being proven they cause skin cancer.
    I would advise to flick the whole idea of tanning beds and go for a spray tan instead.

That makes me so happy to hear!!! My dad is dying from stage four melanoma (skin cancer) and he never used a tanning bed in his life. So when I hear about people cooking in a tanning bed, I can't help but feel this inner horror. Stepping into a tanning bed before the age of 35 increases your risk of melanoma by 75%. Spray tan is the way to go!!! And good on those places who have started taking action!
  • Crankstr
    Crankstr Posts: 3,958 Member
    Options
    NO.
  • jayrae87
    jayrae87 Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Tanning beds are considered carcinogenic. I don't tan for the same reason I don't smoke. I have a daughter that I'd like to be around for as long as possible! That said, when I was younger and DID tan (and smoke) I tanned after a workout to relax and my PF sold the eye protection but it was required that you have it before tanning. Scars that are lighter that your normal skin tone will most likely stand out as you get darker. Scar tissue doesn't tan. Also, I had a weird reaction the the cleaner they used in the beds. I don't think it's really a good idea to have on your skin.
  • Mrs_Bones
    Mrs_Bones Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    Don't like tans. I wear 100 spf everyday, and have for a long, long time. Tanned about two weeks for a prom in high school and had to get a skin cancer cut out of my eyelid. Nopee not for me.

I am sorry this happen to you...

However, PURE coincidence in your case. I was born and RAISED on the beaches in Florida. Tanned most of my teenage and early 20s. Stopped now because I would refer a 'real' tan if I will be tan at all - Spray tan for special events if anything. Never had a problem with any sort of skin cancer problems for most of my life that I've spent in the sun.

Just as an FYI, the UVA and UVB rays that you get from actually sunlight are far less intense than a tanning bed. If you have to tan (I use the term "have to" begrudgingly") then natural light is a much safer option. As far is this being "pure coincidence", it really isn't. Do your research. Just because YOU didn't get sick cancer, doesn't mean that there aren't direct ties to tanning and skin cancer because there are!
  • Falling2Grace
    Falling2Grace Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Thanks to all of your replies.
    I would appreciate it if this thread could stick to answering the question at hand. I realize there is science on everything and anything, risks and benefits. If anyone wants to create a new thread for anything other than answering my question, please do. This doesn't have to turn into a debate if ppl should or shouldn't tan or why they shouldnt or that they are lucky if they didn't get skin cancer or that skin cancer occurances are related or not, it doesn't matter. I simply want to know if you tan, do you do it before or after a workout. If anyone wants to debate the various risks or situations, please do so, in another thread. Other members have bumped this thread for an answer. I have supplied my answer, after figuring out my own thing but MFP pals may be looking for answers to this specific question and i dont think it's fair to derail the intention of the thread.
  • DavPul
    DavPul Posts: 61,406 Member
    Options
    Me reading this thread for the first time must feel similar to how aliens feel the first time they observed people on Earth
  • BeachGingerOnTheRocks
    BeachGingerOnTheRocks Posts: 3,927 Member
    Options
    Me reading this thread for the first time must feel similar to how aliens feel the first time they observed people on Earth

Ah, yes. The zombie thread on tanning beds that must stay on topic.

Tanning beds are a treat I'd rather not partake in, before, after or in the middle of a workout. High SPF, bronzer, and natural sun for me.
  • blancamihalik
    Options
    You should always tan after workout because when you work out you sweat and you tan better the more you sweat. I use to go to a tanning salon in Baltimore and the lady who owned the tanning salon told me that. When i did i got really dark fast.
  • BeachIron
    Options

Ah, yes. The zombie thread on tanning beds that must stay on topic.

Tanning beds are a treat I'd rather not partake in, before, after or in the middle of a workout. High SPF, bronzer, and natural sun for me.

Zombie thread that just won't die.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Don't like tans. I wear 100 spf everyday, and have for a long, long time. Tanned about two weeks for a prom in high school and had to get a skin cancer cut out of my eyelid. Nopee not for me.

I am sorry this happen to you...

However, PURE coincidence in your case. I was born and RAISED on the beaches in Florida. Tanned most of my teenage and early 20s. Stopped now because I would refer a 'real' tan if I will be tan at all - Spray tan for special events if anything. Never had a problem with any sort of skin cancer problems for most of my life that I've spent in the sun.

Wow - 0% skin cancer in all of Florida ..... that's good to know!
  • kaylahelle
    kaylahelle Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I like to tan after, gives me something to look forward to....only con is getting back into sweaty clothes :/
  • ginzo66
    ginzo66 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I read a lot of people saying tanning gives you skin cancer. 1st of all that is 100% wrong.Its no secret tanning does have a negative impact on skin, and often times CAN lead to skin cancers. Statistics show 1 in 5 people will develop skin cancer. The estimate from auto insurance industry statistics is every single driver will file a collision claim approx every 17.9 years.Get that? 1 in five people will develop skin cancer, whether they die from it or not is a completely different argument, and approx EVERY person will have approx 3-4 accidents in their lifetime. And lets not forget exposure to sunlight also has essential benefits. One of the primary ways the body receives vitamin D other than through food & nutrition is through sunlight. That being said, the question wasn't is tanning bad for you, we know it can be. The question asked was whether to tan before or after working out, and a bunch of you that no doubt worry about everything jumped at the opportunity to voice your "2 cents". In essence, someone asked what time is it, & you told them how to build a clock...
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    oitb8y.jpg
  • BeachIron
    Options
    I read a lot of people saying tanning gives you skin cancer. 1st of all that is 100% wrong.Its no secret tanning does have a negative impact on skin, and often times CAN lead to skin cancers. Statistics show 1 in 5 people will develop skin cancer. The estimate from auto insurance industry statistics is every single driver will file a collision claim approx every 17.9 years.Get that? 1 in five people will develop skin cancer, whether they die from it or not is a completely different argument, and approx EVERY person will have approx 3-4 accidents in their lifetime. And lets not forget exposure to sunlight also has essential benefits. One of the primary ways the body receives vitamin D other than through food & nutrition is through sunlight. That being said, the question wasn't is tanning bad for you, we know it can be. The question asked was whether to tan before or after working out, and a bunch of you that no doubt worry about everything jumped at the opportunity to voice your "2 cents". In essence, someone asked what time is it, & you told them how to build a clock...

What are your thoughts on Zombie Melanoma? :flowerforyou:
  • j_stanton
    Options
    Tanning after you workout increases the intensity of your tan. You tan better when your skin is well moisturized. When you work out your heart pumps blood all around your body and your pours will be more open to tan quicker.
  • LittleLulu13903
    Options
    I usually tan before I work out. At my PF we have the Ergoline Beauty Angel and I use that before I tan. It depends on the Planet Fitness you are going to. The one I use has the eyewear that you can borrow. Other places you have to buy them they are between $5 and $6. When I started tanning I went 2-3 times a week until I hit my 15 session. Which I am as dark as I want to be. Now I just tan once a week to maintain it.