Logging Strength Training as Cardio?

sudzie88
sudzie88 Posts: 185 Member
edited September 19 in Fitness and Exercise
hi all...

so ive been here for a month or so and just realized there is a "strength training" option for cardio exercises. up until now when i lift i hadn't been logging it as cardio, so it didn't allow me to eat more calories. any insight on whether or not MFP is at all accurate in the strength training calorie burning numbers and whether or not i should be logging this?

thanks!

Replies

• sudzie88
    sudzie88 Posts: 185 Member
    hi all...

so ive been here for a month or so and just realized there is a "strength training" option for cardio exercises. up until now when i lift i hadn't been logging it as cardio, so it didn't allow me to eat more calories. any insight on whether or not MFP is at all accurate in the strength training calorie burning numbers and whether or not i should be logging this?

thanks!
  • kbeauchesne
    kbeauchesne Posts: 24
    hi all...

thanks!

Hi there,

I just asked my nutritionist / fitness trainer this EXACT question today. She said that it ABSOLUTELY counts for burning calories and should be added to my exercise log. This goes for free weights, nautilus machines, etc.

Hope this helps!

Kelly :wink:
  • Stephomie
    Stephomie Posts: 89 Member
    I have a HR monitor, so I use that for my calories burned, and make my own category in the cardio exercise section. For example, if I do Chalean Extreme Push circuit 1 (strength training), I will create "Push 1" and then enter the number of minutes and calories burned.

The calories burned that are provided are just guidelines, and typically not real accurate from person to person. I would invest in a HR monitor if you want to be really accurate.
  • JDHINAZ
    JDHINAZ Posts: 641 Member
    I have a HR monitor, so I use that for my calories burned, and make my own category in the cardio exercise section. For example, if I do Chalean Extreme Push circuit 1 (strength training), I will create "Push 1" and then enter the number of minutes and calories burned.

The calories burned that are provided are just guidelines, and typically not real accurate from person to person. I would invest in a HR monitor if you want to be really accurate.

Boy is this true! The calories listed under cardio for strength training seem to be much higher than my heart rate monitor says, and I'm doing fairly heavy weights...for me anyway. I'm thinking the difference is time spent actually lifting vs. total time lifting, meaning including rests periods.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    strength training is a very broad topic, I mean, think about all the different types and kinds of exercise. So just putting in minutes in MFP under strength training is dubious at best. I agree you really should have an HRM if you are at all serious about calorie counting.
This discussion has been closed.