ALWAYS over on sugar.... Should I be concerned??

Options
I love fruit and sweet little snacks (snackwell cookies, granola bars, muffins). Those usually put me over my sugar goal by the end of the day. I don't really pay too much attention to my sugar intake, Im more concerned about carbs, fat and sodium. But im curious, should be watching my it closer??

Feel free to checkout my food diary. Thanks!

Replies

• lin7604
    lin7604 Posts: 3,019 Member
    Options
    the way i look at it is, if it's from a natural source, i wouldn't be worried. If it's from processed items, minimize those one and keep the natural choices.
  • duvaroo
    duvaroo Posts: 18
    Options
    I think you should be more concerned about the horrible negative self talk in your user name.

But as for sugar, I stopped checking mine because fruit kept putting me over, and over eating fruit isn't what got me here in the first place :)
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Options
    Cut out the added sugar items if you are concerned, keep the fruit and other natural sugar sources like dairy. I don't track sugar because the amounts given are unrealistic if you want to eat a normal amount of fruit and dairy. I just self-limit added sugar and watch my total carbs.
  • marsellient
    marsellient Posts: 591 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (not on these forums, though) that sugar from dairy and fruit doesn't need to be counted unless you are diabetic. So if you just count added sugars, you're not over at all.
  • PinkEarthMama
    PinkEarthMama Posts: 987 Member
    Options
    I am usually over because of the sugar in my coffee, and I'm okay with that.
  • ashnm88
    ashnm88 Posts: 748
    Options
    Cut out the added sugar items if you are concerned, keep the fruit and other natural sugar sources like dairy. I don't track sugar because the amounts given are unrealistic if you want to eat a normal amount of fruit and dairy.

I agree
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    As long as your total calories are good and you're not diabetic enjoy your fruit! Most granola bars also have some other nutrients too so....they're better than eating a chocolate bar but not as good as real food.
  • moo_imma_pig
    moo_imma_pig Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    I think you should be more concerned about the horrible negative self talk in your user name.

But as for sugar, I stopped checking mine because fruit kept putting me over, and over eating fruit isn't what got me here in the first place :)

Very true! Thanks for the tip.

My username is an inside joke I have with my sister... we are both love food and love eating it! It represents my attitude torwards food... not my attitude torwards myself-image lol
  • njmp
    njmp Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    I don't know too many people who can stay within the range MFP gives us! I think I may stop keeping it as one of my main ones. I'm always over too because of fruit (okay okay sometimes I'm over because of my cream egg), and it seems silly to watch red numbers all the time from eating what nature gave us!

Good luck!
  • fatguyweightloss
    Options
    If you find your weight loss to stall you could also look into replacing some of your fruits with veggies...less sugar and more nutrients. But like others have said if coming from natural sources I wouldn't be that concerned.
  • Sheri3182
    Sheri3182 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Good question! I am always fighting with my sugar intake so I would love to read the replies you receive.
  • Lesliecs
    Lesliecs Posts: 930 Member
    Options
    I generally don't worry about sugar too much because I eat a lot of fruit and am always over because of that. I do eat my share of snacks too though..... I worry more about the calories.
  • Feathil
    Feathil Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    I read somewhere (not on these forums, though) that sugar from dairy and fruit doesn't need to be counted unless you are diabetic. So if you just count added sugars, you're not over at all.

This seems a lot more reasonable. As someone pointed out to me when I had the same sugar question, how is your recommended 5 a day meant to be a bad thing?
  • mikeschratz
    mikeschratz Posts: 253 Member
    Options
    Awesome questions with awesome answers.... I have had the same questions about fruit. I love eating fruit, but cut some of it out to cut down on my sugars... and now I know I can have the sugar as long as it is natural. Thanks y'all, I keep learning from all of your posts.
  • toasterlisa
    toasterlisa Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    MFP is just giving you guidelines for each macronutrient.

Keep an eye on your total calories, as

calories eaten - calories burned = weight loss

My doctor (who made me sign up for MFP while I was in his office) told me that your body doesn't really care whether the calories are coming from fat, protein or sugars. (I know, I know, there are a million articles that argue about this ...)

So, keep your total calories at the MFP goal, and UNDERESTIMATE your calorie burn during exercise, and you'll be doing great!

Do you remember reading about the guy who lost weight eating only junk food? Yeah, it's because he ate nutritionally-empty calories, but kept his daily calories low enough to lose weight.

Best wishes on your health and wellness journey!
  • rllewell
    rllewell Posts: 234
    Options
    I wouldn't be concerned with natural sugar from fruit. I would be concerned with sugar from anything processed. You mentioned "sweet little snacks (snackwell cookies, granola bars, muffins)."

The only thing I have processed sugar with is my morning coffee with a little cream.
  • mrsdizzyd84
    mrsdizzyd84 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Just worry about processed sugar.
  • autumnk921
    autumnk921 Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    ...I have the same issue even though I have cut out almost all of my added sugar - like in coffee, etc. I just decided to watch my sodium instead of seeing the red numbers every day...

16043484.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter
  • moo_imma_pig
    moo_imma_pig Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Thank you for all the advice!! You are all VERY helpful :flowerforyou: