my mini C25K victory!

Replies

• kaned_ferret
    kaned_ferret Posts: 618 Member
    Congrats! I started C25K today. Week 1 wasn't too bad but I was afraid to push myself too much on the speed. Have you kept your running and walking speeds fairly consistent week to week? I'm always open to pointers!

Yep, I would say my pace has been fairly consistent - though as each week progresses I think my jog speeds possibly go up a teeny bit. And I'm fairly sure I subconsciously speed up for the last minute of the last run each time, just to push myself that little bit further lol. Once I'm to the end of the programme and can run for the total time, then I'll work on upping my speed from "light jog" to run - that's a way off yet though hehe!
  • kaned_ferret
    That's awesome!!

I'm just starting week 2. It is miserably hot and humid here today and I am dreading my walk/run after work. At least today maybe I won't be tempted to keep going after the 20 min is up (which everyone keeps telling me not to do even if I feel like it).

DEFINITELY don't do more than the workout gets you to do - I think this is the mistake I made last week, cos I was so chuffed with myself for being able to do the 3 minute runs, I added another 3 minute to the end of w3d1 - and suffered the rest of the week as a result!
  • GMC_81
    GMC_81 Posts: 193 Member
    I just had to post this :) I just started week four of C25K, and I REALLY didn't think I'd be able to go from the week 3 to week 4 sessions, the thought of jogging for a total of 16 minutes as opposed to 9 - well I thought I wasn't ready. I was still feeling that week 3 was a struggle!

But, here's victory #1 - I DID IT! I'm so elated with myself right now!

Victory #2 - I got "the smile" from other runners, yes, people who actually LOOKED like runners, lovely, fit, athletic looking people! Could it be, I am on my way to becoming one of them?! Haha I am actually giddy with victory glee, hurray!

Thankyou for reading my crazy. If this is anything to go by, there will only be more as I keep finding these victories along my journey :)
    Congratulations. I love the "runner's smile" part. That'll be you smiling back at all the newbies soon :)
  • laineylynnfit
    laineylynnfit Posts: 369 Member
    WAY TO GO!! I'm so NERVOUS about week 4! I am on week 3 now. That is awesome. Keep up the great work!!

Oh and there is this one lady that runs every day at the gym when I work out and she's congratulated me more than once on my journey....She runs for 30 minutes if not longer and yet she recognized me for my minute jogging intervals in my first week. HAHA! It's a great feeling!
  • JennedyJLD
    JennedyJLD Posts: 123 Member
    One more tip - it's not so important in the early weeks but as you start to add minutes/miles, I cannot overstate the importance of a good pair of running shoes. For years I just used the $50 cross-trainers or whatever I thought was cute/found on sale. When I actually went to a running store and had my stride and arch measured (something any good running store does for free!) and invested about $115 in some really, really good running shoes, I was AMAZED at the difference.
  • kaned_ferret
    One more tip - it's not so important in the early weeks but as you start to add minutes/miles, I cannot overstate the importance of a good pair of running shoes. For years I just used the $50 cross-trainers or whatever I thought was cute/found on sale. When I actually went to a running store and had my stride and arch measured (something any good running store does for free!) and invested about $115 in some really, really good running shoes, I was AMAZED at the difference.

Hehe yep, already done that cos I was getting shin splints in week 1 lol! I am in love with my Asics, good money well spent! Without them there's no way I'd still be doing the program!
  • haleyhin
    haleyhin Posts: 4 Member
    Congratulations!! It is not a mini victory - it's huge!! C25K is an awesome program. I started it last November, finished in February and am now training for my first half marathon in May and the Portland Marathon in October. I did a 5 mile race on St. Paddy's, and my training partner and I celebrated (with high-5s, not beers) at mile 3, remembering my struggles through my first 5k.

If you want to be a runner and you follow the program - you will. Yay you!!
  • fatfiske
    fatfiske Posts: 33

Hehe yep, already done that cos I was getting shin splints in week 1 lol! I am in love with my Asics, good money well spent! Without them there's no way I'd still be doing the program!

Me too! I got a pair of Asics (and a matching shirt to boot) and it has been awesome. I've only just started week 2, but I have had no foot/shin pain whatsoever and can only attribute it to the shoes!
  • fatfiske
    fatfiske Posts: 33
    I tried to start this last week. Embarrassed to say, I couldn't even run for 60 sec. I'm thinking I need to get in better shape before trying.

That is nothing to be ashamed of! I have been there and just keep on trying week 1 over and over until you can do it! With a combination of walking/running you can just try to jog as much as you can, and stop when you need to. Its just about pushing yourself a little further each time. It'll come. It always does.
  • steflbrown
    steflbrown Posts: 168
    GREAT JOB!!

I started week 4 on Monday. It was rough, but I finished it! It's a great feeling!
  • Eleisabelle
    Eleisabelle Posts: 365
    Congratulations! In the weeks to come, you'll wonder why any of it scared you so much. Running is more about your mind than your body. I mean, yes, it's about your body, but it's your mind that will keep you from being able to do it. Don't listen to your brain when it says, "That's too hard." Just try it anyway. Your body will surprise you.

And for those of you just starting: there's no shame in taking it slow, repeating weeks, taking your time. Getting through it is an amazing feeling--and soon you just might want to kick it up to a 10K or half marathon and then you'll be even more amazed at what you can do!
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    I just finished week 3 day 1. But looking ahead to next week scares the poo outta me lol. My first 5k is April 22 and I'm hoping to do well.

I've been doing a combination of outside pushing my kids in the stroller and inside on the treadmill
  • Grlnxtdr0721
    Grlnxtdr0721 Posts: 597 Member
    That's awesome!!!!!!!!! I started the program in January, and am currently on week 8. I have never been a runner, but now i don't know what I'd do without it. It's crazy to think that I feel like I've been missing out on something. Week 5 was the week the had me going, "You want me to WHAT?!" And, I kinda have to admit, there have been times I have felt like that since. But, I am now running almost 3 miles completely and run my first 5k on the 31st :) Good luck with the rest!! You will do great. Just remember, you will have good runs and bad runs. Don't get discouraged when those bad days happen ;)
  • kelly_gelinas
    kelly_gelinas Posts: 137 Member
    great victory! WTG!!. I just ran my first 5km race and it felt so good to complete it. You will fall inlove with running when c25k is finished.
  • grumpy2day
    grumpy2day Posts: 212
    That is so AWESOME, congratulations!!!!! I can't wait for my ankle to get better so I can re-start my couch 25k.
  • blynn2708
    blynn2708 Posts: 275 Member
    I know the feeling! I did Day 1 of Week 4 the other day, I was so scared! But I did it, and was so proud of myself, as you should be too:flowerforyou: That's excellent, keep it up and good luck to you:wink:
  • HollywoodDJ
    HollywoodDJ Posts: 296
    My sister told me about it today but I am scared! I have a LOT of weight to lose and pronated arches. Even walking and yoga hurt my feet but I don't care I am gonna keep working out....but I am thinking about doing this...it would be nice to get those same looks from runners and athletes! Hahahaha! That would be pretty cool!

18447478.png
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
  • Chagama
    Chagama Posts: 543 Member
    That is fantastic. And not "mini", don't minimize your accomplishments. Many of those "real runners" were once at the same place you are.
  • MelV1
    MelV1 Posts: 31
    Way to go!!! I just atarted and on week 1 day 2 so I appreciate the inspiration! Thanks for sharing!
  • Fit_Canuck
    Fit_Canuck Posts: 788 Member
    Congrats!! It's an amazing program, I know when I finished it a few weeks ago I was over the moon!! Such a great feeling.
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!