Any ideas for a non-gym, non-impact warm up?

Options
Hi everyone

Due to the calf muscle still causing me discomfort, running is still off the menu. I have a set of kettle bells that I used to use after my short runs and would like to start using them, but wasn't sure how to warm up (I'm assuming going into the workout "cold" is bad?). Walking doesn't make me break enough of a sweat, and I don't know how else I can warm up that doesn't involve impact or a gym. Any suggestions would be gratefully received!

Many thanks

V x

Replies

• EpiGaiaRepens
    EpiGaiaRepens Posts: 824 Member
    Options
    i've heard stretching is just fine for a warm up. What's wrong with a brisk walk and some yoga?
  • beccala18
    beccala18 Posts: 293 Member
    Options
    Squats, pushups, mountain climbers, standing crunches, shadow boxing (use correct form and move some, but not hitting anything), handstands. Any of these type exercises done in sets of 10 for about 10 minutes will give you a good warm-up for your whole body. Just adjust how you do things depending on how your calf feels (though none should really strain it).
  • xgg2rs
    xgg2rs Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Can you do jumping jacks or jump rope?
  • HOSED49
    HOSED49 Posts: 665 Member
    Options
    get a copy of P90 X-stretch it will warm ya up
  • angenz
    angenz Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I would suggest some star-jumps.... but if your calves are giving you grief and you don't want to not use your lower body, then how about some arms circles or some boxing/punching moves for your upper body to raise that heart rate? You can even do those moves sitting down and still get "warm".
  • Abells
    Abells Posts: 756 Member
    Options
    Warm up can be super low impact - do some push ups. cross your back leg up over the other so that you dont put strain on it. I would go for a walk though to get some blood moving if you can.

Lots you can do with kettlebells :)
    If you can walk at all you can lock them out with overhead one arm kettlebell walks pending on your calf.

You can do kettlebell high pulls as well :)
    Do full sit ups and make sure when you lay flat you reach your hands out overhead and touch the ground.
    Rows are low calf impact.

Honestly I would just take a break though and massage your calf out -- you dont want to risk it
    Sorry hard to thing of more without you straining the calf too much.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    You can get a cheap mini stationary bike from Amazon.com while you heal.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=mini+stationary+bike
  • nighthawk327
    Options
    Low-impact yoga stretches are great!
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    burpee's , pushups , situps , lunges , dips , reverse dips, planks , crunches , jumps , sidesteps
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    Google 'dynamic warm-up'. I do skips, butt kicks, walking quad stretch, walking piriformis stretch, walking lunges, side lunges and cariocas alternated with jogs for about 15 feet. I warm up my upper body with arm circles & knee pushups.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    You should do moving stretches before working out then static (still) stretches after. Go to youtube and look for some good warm ups. Here is one for legs that I use before running. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2mCoqoRPsTc

Check out this site for other things for you to do.

Becareful lady and make sure you stretch before exercise AND let yourself heal. I injured myself with that darn kettle bell 6 months ago and never let it heal, now I am paying the price.
  • california_peach
    california_peach Posts: 1,858 Member
    Options
    I walk for about 5 minutes, then I do a series of calf flexes where I essentially walk on my heels (first toes straight ahead, them toes pointed out, then toes pointed in). I look like a freaking nimrob, but it works.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    A fitness ball. I bought one last week and I am loving it! Mine came with a couple of DVD's.
  • lindsyrox
    lindsyrox Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I have the Jillian Michaels ripped in 30 and she does dynamic stretches for warm up like big windmill arm circle and this move (can't remember the name) where you have one arm up one arm down and then swing the top arm down while kicking the opposite leg out straight and touching the toe (kind of like marching and doing toe touches), its just a lot of big movements, not really any impact, and lots of stretching.
  • vacherin
    vacherin Posts: 192
    Options
    Wow, thank you! I didn't realise some of these could be used as warm-ups (I thought they could only be done AFTER warming up). And I had to Google some of them as I didn't know what they were. But what a great selection - I certainly won't be bored trying them. Many thanks!